Spyderco Warranty question: Covers irregular surface-touch-ups?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderEdgeForever

Spyderco Warranty question: Covers irregular surface-touch-ups?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

If I purchase a Spyderco knife that arrives with two or more irregular surface planes, say one part is not precisely aligned with the other, and I did not decide to just accept it, and wanted to send it to Spyderco head quarters, and have them do some maching touch up on it, to make it more consistent, does the present warranty cover that, or, what would you do in this situation?

1 I am not saying this has happened.
2 This is not a complaint in the least bit. Just wondering because I have heard of that happening on folders before.

3 In general does the warranty cover that sort of thing?

I bought a folder made in Europe, and the overall quality was good, and the handle scales were attached with pins. I noticed the pin on one side of the handle was a bit rough at its outer edge, and looked as if someone in the factory had hammered it down unevenly. It is serviceable, but I could always buff or sandpaper that edge.
Blerv

Re: Spyderco Warranty question: Covers irregular surface-touch-ups?

Post by Blerv »

I'm guessing in most cases they would ship another hoping it would be well received. For most this would be sufficient, for the collectors perhaps not.

Even an expensive Spyderco knife is first a functional tool at an aggressive price range. The most expensive ones are often a fraction of a mid tech or especially a custom with the same materials/techniques. The hand finishes add some variability but also a personal fingerprint as to what happened from start to finish.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Good point, Blerv. Some time back (I think I mentioned it on the forum), I purchased an Endura from a knife seller and it was a genuine Endura 4 plain-edge. There was a minute, very slight nick in the blade edge, almost imperceptible, really. I considered sending it back and asking for an exchange but I decided to not go through the trouble. Instead, I sharpened the edge-nick out and it is 100 percent functional today. That's a bit different from irregularly aligned parts on the knives, ofcourse, but still, the knife is great even with that nick that came with it.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

It would depend on whether they considered the irregularity to be a "defect in workmanship" or merely an imperfection. Where that line got drawn might also depend on both the model involved and the customer's prior history. They might replace one knife with a minor imperfection, perhaps even a couple, but I suspect there are fussbudgets who have abused the warranty system once too often.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!