2.5 inch Native at Blade!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sonarsessions

Re: 2.5 inch Native at Blade!

Post by sonarsessions »

Doc Dan wrote:Spyderco unveiled a new 2.5" bladed Native at Blade Show. The Little Native is going to be awesome. It appears a Compression Lock will be first, followed by a back lock version, and then a slip joint model. All three are going to be in regular production. They appear to have G10 scales and most likely S30V. I am already standing in line for the end of the year release.
Correct - the Lil' Native looks awesome! I got to see one up close at BLADE on Friday - one of the Youtube knife review channels were speaking with Eric about the new models, and love how it looks! On another note, my visit to the Spyderco booth gave me a bit of a chuckle, as I asked to see 2 or 3 different models that ended up being either prototypes or models set for release later on, and were not even supposed to be on display... haha
"All good, just different." :D

Current Spyderco's: C240CFP Smock CF S30V, C11PBK Saber Grind Delica 4 Black VG10, C101PBN2 Manix 2 Brown CTS XHP, C28PBK2 Dragonfly 2 FRN Black VG10, C223GP Para 3 Black G10 S30V, C28GRE2 Dragonfly 2 British Racing Green ZDP-189, C28ZFPGR2 Dragonfly 2 Zome VG10, C41PBK5 Native 5 FRN Black S35VN, C101PDBL2 Manix 2 Dark Blue S110v, C94PDBL UK PenKnife Lightweight Dark Blue FRN S110V, C41PDBL5 Native 5 Dark Blue S110V, C11FPWCBK Wharncliffe Delica 4 Black VG10, C10PSFG Endura 4 Foliage Green Combo VG10, C11FPBN Flat Ground Delica 4 Brown VG10
sonarsessions

Post by sonarsessions »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Toter wrote:On clips, does that look like the shorter Dragonfly-style clip on the prototype?
I noticed that too. It does look like the short wire clip.
Three different models were on display at BLADE. The compression lock will have the wire clip and will be released first - the back lock and slipjoint models will not and will be ready later on. They look awesome!
"All good, just different." :D

Current Spyderco's: C240CFP Smock CF S30V, C11PBK Saber Grind Delica 4 Black VG10, C101PBN2 Manix 2 Brown CTS XHP, C28PBK2 Dragonfly 2 FRN Black VG10, C223GP Para 3 Black G10 S30V, C28GRE2 Dragonfly 2 British Racing Green ZDP-189, C28ZFPGR2 Dragonfly 2 Zome VG10, C41PBK5 Native 5 FRN Black S35VN, C101PDBL2 Manix 2 Dark Blue S110v, C94PDBL UK PenKnife Lightweight Dark Blue FRN S110V, C41PDBL5 Native 5 Dark Blue S110V, C11FPWCBK Wharncliffe Delica 4 Black VG10, C10PSFG Endura 4 Foliage Green Combo VG10, C11FPBN Flat Ground Delica 4 Brown VG10
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

I've been eagerly looking forward to the Lil' Natives ever since I first heard about them. I really kick myself for not holding them at Blade... However, I have a good feeling I will love them when they come out--especially the Compression Lock version.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
bryan123

Post by bryan123 »

Totally psyched as I live in Massachusetts and Boston and several other towns have 2.5 inch blade length laws!!!!!
Bryan
High speed low drag tactical operator immunologist philanthropist & bicyclist
Dragonfly 2 VG-10, Roadie, Bug, ZT 0450, Three Rivers LTC Nomad, Cold Steel Tuff Lite, RAT 1 AUS-8, SAK Super Tinker, Cadet, Rover, Classic SD, Opinel 0008 & 6 Tactical Weapon System, LM Original PST, Micra, 1967 Camillus Cub Scout restored by Rock USA Cutlery, Buck 380, Nick Shabazz autographed Z-Hunter, Snake Eyes Tactical Gas Station Knife
Wanimator

Post by Wanimator »

I was more concerned with the Shaman that I fell in love with.
spyder moist

Post by spyder moist »

The slipjoint version of this is the one that ive been waiting for, its looks like my ideal work knife.
Small discreet uk legal and a native to boot!.
Does any one know if the slippie version has liners? I hope it does!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

It might, but I am not sure. I would rather they be linerless like the new Manix 2.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
dragfree

Post by dragfree »

Looks like a winner: a Cat with compression lock and better steel. Perhaps a bit less mass, too...?

This and the Intel i7 8700k are my devoutly to be wished Christmas gifts for 2017.

And I'm already looking forward to the blurple/S110V variation.
Ti Rod Tactical

Post by Ti Rod Tactical »

bryan123 wrote:Totally psyched as I live in Massachusetts and Boston and several other towns have 2.5 inch blade length laws!!!!!

Wow,...really? I thought the 3" max length law areas were pretty bad,....but this is ridiculous. Pretty soon the only sharp tool you'll be able to carry are toe nail clippers! :-)
crazywednesday

Post by crazywednesday »

Toter wrote:YES! Comp lock, wire clip, S30V (or better), low vis (and hopefully not pocket shredding) black G10, and I'm in. The specs are presumably finalized, but I'll throw in one last plea just in case: please consider a 2.49 inch blade length for people stuck with Federal building regulations--the law clearly says LESS than 2.5 inches.
Grind off .o1 inches and your all good! Easy peasey lemon squeezey.

Jusitn
Justin
crazywednesday

Post by crazywednesday »

I think this is going to scratch my desire for a chaparral compression lock itch.

Jusitn
Justin
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

dragfree wrote:Looks like a winner: a Cat with compression lock and better steel. Perhaps a bit less mass, too...?

This and the Intel i7 8700k are my devoutly to be wished Christmas gifts for 2017.

And I'm already looking forward to the blurple/S110V variation.
Welcome to the forum :D
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I want the back lock, but I'll wait til FRN.
- best wishes, Jazz.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Jazz wrote:I want the back lock, but I'll wait til FRN.
This and I'll add no S30V for me as well
ejcr98

Post by ejcr98 »

Toter wrote:YES! Comp lock, wire clip, S30V (or better), low vis (and hopefully not pocket shredding) black G10, and I'm in. The specs are presumably finalized, but I'll throw in one last plea just in case: please consider a 2.49 inch blade length for people stuck with Federal building regulations--the law clearly says LESS than 2.5 inches.
Totally agree with the suggestion for the 2.49" blade. Grinding the blade shorter should not really be an option. One, I wouln't buy a knife to then shorten it intentionally. Second, if the length published by the manufacturer is below 2.5, then it is easy to argue that one did not have the intent to breach the length limit if it then turns out the knife had a longer blade regardless of how the LEO measures it. Third, those without a blade length restriction who are looking for a blade approx. 2.5" will not be put off it it is 2.45-2.49" long but those who do have a less than 2.5" blade limit will be more likely not to buy it if the blade length is 2.5 or greater.

Hopefully the steel is something other than S30V. S30V is fine but I already have a couple of Spydies in it. Would rather see the Little Native in some other steel: XHP, S35VN, M390, and best of all LC200N.

I would also rather see it in FRN or CF scales like the Sage 5.

Guess will see what Spyderco comes out with.
vivi

Post by vivi »

These look awesome! I'm probably going to get the backlock version. This looks like a beefier tiny knife for those of us that want to pair a little knife with a big knife but still have a good sized handle. Looks like it could dethrone the UKPK as my favorite small Spyder.
:unicorn
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

Tick Tock, Tick Tock! The wait is killing me for this knife!
Time for another :spyder:!

-Matt
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I think these should use S35VN just like their larger siblings but I certainly wouldn't mind if they used XHP or M390. I don't have anything in M390 and I would love to try it.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
bryan123

Post by bryan123 »

Looking at the pictures it appears that this knife doesn't have the same thumb ramp that the Dragonfly has. I like the thumb ramp....
Bryan
High speed low drag tactical operator immunologist philanthropist & bicyclist
Dragonfly 2 VG-10, Roadie, Bug, ZT 0450, Three Rivers LTC Nomad, Cold Steel Tuff Lite, RAT 1 AUS-8, SAK Super Tinker, Cadet, Rover, Classic SD, Opinel 0008 & 6 Tactical Weapon System, LM Original PST, Micra, 1967 Camillus Cub Scout restored by Rock USA Cutlery, Buck 380, Nick Shabazz autographed Z-Hunter, Snake Eyes Tactical Gas Station Knife
buccilli15

Post by buccilli15 »

Any "casual bombshells" as to whether these will drop this year? :D