2.5 inch Native at Blade!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ZrowsN1s

Re: 2.5 inch Native at Blade!

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Evil D wrote:I was wondering if I was the only one to notice the choil sizes. If the extra 1/4 inch over a Dragonfly only equates to 1/8 inch more edge because the other 1/8 is in the choil then I'll just stick with the Dragonfly.
Not me man :D I love the DFly but I have to go for the g-10 and the compression lock. With this and the Rhino my small knife rotation is about to get a lot more diverse. It'll be great, I'll have the DFly for Seki Steel sprints, and the Rhino(*edit* for Taichung steel), and lil Native for Golden sprints. Now I'll never miss a new steel:)
Last edited by ZrowsN1s on Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
this_is_nascar

Post by this_is_nascar »

I just wish the wire pocket clip were on all versions.
Toter

Post by Toter »

YES! Comp lock, wire clip, S30V (or better), low vis (and hopefully not pocket shredding) black G10, and I'm in. The specs are presumably finalized, but I'll throw in one last plea just in case: please consider a 2.49 inch blade length for people stuck with Federal building regulations--the law clearly says LESS than 2.5 inches.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Toter wrote:YES! Comp lock, wire clip, S30V (or better), low vis (and hopefully not pocket shredding) black G10, and I'm in. The specs are presumably finalized, but I'll throw in one last plea just in case: please consider a 2.49 inch blade length for people stuck with Federal building regulations--the law clearly says LESS than 2.5 inches.
Just reprofile the edge one good time and 2.5 turns to 2.49 or less really easy.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

^^ I agree with this.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Evil D wrote:I was wondering if I was the only one to notice the choil sizes. If the extra 1/4 inch over a Dragonfly only equates to 1/8 inch more edge because the other 1/8 is in the choil then I'll just stick with the Dragonfly.
Not me man :D I love the DFly but I have to go for the g-10 and the compression lock. With this and the Rhino my small knife rotation is about to get a lot more diverse. It'll be great, I'll have the DFly for Seki Steel sprints, and the Rhino and lil Native for Golden sprints. Now I'll never miss a new steel:)

Yeah you're probably right. I do wonder how easy such a small knife would be to operate with a compression lock. I'm not the biggest back lock fan but it does make sense on small knives like the Dragonfly, and I love how that knife closes with the choil hitting your finger instead of the edge. That was a big reason I loved the original Native but if the small version can drop the blade all the way closed as easily as other compression lock knives then it'll be a winner. I still hope that extra length compared to a Dragonfly equates to at least a 1/4 inch more edge.
~David
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

They seem quite interesting. Back lock, that is. I'd much prefer FRN, and not squared off handles. I think a wire clip suits the small knives, or if solid, then not so long. It's harder to clip when the end of the knife is near the clip.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Jazz wrote:They seem quite interesting. Back lock, that is. I'd much prefer FRN, and not squared off handles. I think a wire clip suits the small knives, or if solid, then not so long. It's harder to clip when the end of the knife is near the clip.

I know exactly what you mean, I have a small flashlight that's a nightmare to clip because the clip comes right to the end of the light.
~David
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Evil D wrote: I know exactly what you mean, I have a small flashlight that's a nightmare to clip because the clip comes right to the end of the light.
You need that bit of room to slide it on there.
- best wishes, Jazz.
thombrogan

Post by thombrogan »

The wire clip and Compression Lock is such a lovely combo. Would love to see a sprint in 12C27.
toeterbaas

Post by toeterbaas »

me like him!
Delica 4 Zome , Lava Silver
ejcr98

Post by ejcr98 »

Toter wrote:YES! Comp lock, wire clip, S30V (or better), low vis (and hopefully not pocket shredding) black G10, and I'm in. The specs are presumably finalized, but I'll throw in one last plea just in case: please consider a 2.49 inch blade length for people stuck with Federal building regulations--the law clearly says LESS than 2.5 inches.
Totally agree with this.

Hopefully the 2.5" blade length is the marketing length and the published specification length is just under 2.5". I also wish they use S35VN or something else instead of S30V. S30V is great but there are too many offerings in it already. I hope the G-10 is not too pocket-shredding.

Looking forward to a Sage 5-like CF scales sprint.
Toter

Post by Toter »

Excellent point on the published specs...in addition to not wanting to mangle a nice new blade tying to bob it a smidge, I could easily see a gross measurement--"looks like 2.5 inches to me"--followed by an internet search resulting in "yup--it's 2.5 inches...says so right here".

On clips, does that look like the shorter Dragonfly-style clip on the prototype?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Sharpening isn't mangling or bobbing... Sharpening removes metal, which ultimately shortens the blade. 2.5 doesn't stay 2.5 long if you actually use and sharpen your knives.
~David
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Toter wrote:On clips, does that look like the shorter Dragonfly-style clip on the prototype?
I noticed that too. It does look like the short wire clip.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
ronT2

Post by ronT2 »

I think it’s great news, it’ll be great to see!

I gifted my G-10 Native 5 (the only one I had) thinking that I would replace it with the fluted carbon fiber version that was in the works last year but never made it to production :( so that leaves me Native-less.

Compression lock and wire clip all the way! I’d also like to see it in Sage 1/5 peel-ply, G-10 would be ok, FRN I’ll pass on it.
My EDC rotation: Kapara, Chaparral CF, Mantra, Sage 1, Sage 5, Dice, Domino, Gayle Bradley 2, PakkaDelica, Native CFF
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

ronT2 wrote: I gifted my G-10 Native 5 (the only one I had) thinking that I would replace it with the fluted carbon fiber version that was in the works last year but never made it to production :( so that leaves me Native-less.
You should check out the 40th Anniv. it's nice and they are still available at the usual places. 93x is pretty stainless and holds a nice edge.
z40th2c.jpg
z40th5c.jpg
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
ronT2

Post by ronT2 »

They're very tempting....you're not helping. ;)
My EDC rotation: Kapara, Chaparral CF, Mantra, Sage 1, Sage 5, Dice, Domino, Gayle Bradley 2, PakkaDelica, Native CFF
Toter

Post by Toter »

Evil D wrote:Sharpening isn't mangling or bobbing... Sharpening removes metal, which ultimately shortens the blade. 2.5 doesn't stay 2.5 long if you actually use and sharpen your knives.
E.D.-- No argument there--except when my inept hands are involved. Then, mangling will result, sadly...
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

It is easy with the right equipment, but barring that, there are a lot of people around here that are really good at that sort of thing. Also, probably your local mom and pop has a service.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050