Handled the new salt 2 yesterday

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Surfingringo

Handled the new salt 2 yesterday

Post by Surfingringo »

Got to check the salt 2 out yesterday at the Blade show and I have to say, this new model fixes pretty much everything that I had an issue with on the salt 1. The scales are slightly thicker with molded "ribbing" on the inside so the handle is much more rigid than that of the old salt 1. For me, the Delica 4 handle is also a vast ergonomic improvement over the old d3 handle. Best of all was the action and lockup. There was zero play in either direction and when depressing the lock button the blade falls freely....like pm2 freely. Probably the best action of any salt I've handled to date. I'll be getting a couple of these for sure.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Handled the new salt 2 yesterday

Post by Doc Dan »

Thanks! I am looking forward to this knife. I am waiting on the black/black.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Awesome !!! I'll get at least one serrated and maybe I''ll be able to mod it with a pointy tip.... ;)

Spyderedges rock :spyder:
Marius
on_the_edge

Post by on_the_edge »

Thanks for that intel. That's good info given that the Salt 2 is on my short list.
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

Thank you, the Salt 2 may be the only knife I buy for the rest of this year. I'll be picking a SE all black but lately I'm using my PE Dragonfly to see how H1 works out for my EDC needs. Maybe I'll get both if life permits.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Thank you for telling us about this!
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

Nice, thanks for the info. Any news when these will be released?
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Glad to hear it Lance. I was so close to buying a Tasman yesterday at a really great price but I kept thinking about the 2. I think I made the right choice. Good things come to those that wait right?
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Revival

Post by Revival »

Appreciate the info! Curious to know when they will be available as well.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Surfingringo wrote:Got to check the salt 2 out yesterday at the Blade show and I have to say, this new model fixes pretty much everything that I had an issue with on the salt 1. The scales are slightly thicker with molded "ribbing" on the inside so the handle is much more rigid than that of the old salt 1. For me, the Delica 4 handle is also a vast ergonomic improvement over the old d3 handle. Best of all was the action and lockup. There was zero play in either direction and when depressing the lock button the blade falls freely....like pm2 freely. Probably the best action of any salt I've handled to date. I'll be getting a couple of these for sure.
Lance, which steel do you think is the toughest, H1 or LC200N? Which will "take a lickin' and keep on tickin'", to quote the old Timex jingle? H1 does not chip, I do not think. What about LC200N?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
olywa

Post by olywa »

Jonesin' for the all black SE here. Hope we'll hear a release date soon...
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Doc Dan wrote:
Surfingringo wrote:Got to check the salt 2 out yesterday at the Blade show and I have to say, this new model fixes pretty much everything that I had an issue with on the salt 1. The scales are slightly thicker with molded "ribbing" on the inside so the handle is much more rigid than that of the old salt 1. For me, the Delica 4 handle is also a vast ergonomic improvement over the old d3 handle. Best of all was the action and lockup. There was zero play in either direction and when depressing the lock button the blade falls freely....like pm2 freely. Probably the best action of any salt I've handled to date. I'll be getting a couple of these for sure.
Lance, which steel do you think is the toughest, H1 or LC200N? Which will "take a lickin' and keep on tickin'", to quote the old Timex jingle? H1 does not chip, I do not think. What about LC200N?
I think H1 is the tougher steel, hands down. I have never had any chipping issues with Lc200n but i don't think it's in H1 territory for toughness. When pushed hard enough Lc200n will break at levels of stress that will only cause H1 to bend. I think Spyderco is getting their Lc200n to almost 60 so that behavior is not unexpected. I still think that Lc200n is a relatively tough steel compared to other common stainless options but it's not "H1 tough".
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Lance, do you think a Spyderco Salt knife that has the same handle profile as the new Salt handles, but, with a somewhat thick spear point type blade would be a useful addition to the line, if made in H1, for your and other peoples' purposes, or, basically the upcoming Fish Hunter fits that profile well-enough?

I have seen some spear fishing and water-activity knives (mostly diving but others as well) made with spear points.