Broken Spring on UKPK

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Matt Owen

Broken Spring on UKPK

Post by Matt Owen »

FullSizeRender.jpg
Hi.

As you can see the spring on my 10-month-old UKPK broke the other day.

I contacted Spyderco and they sent me a generic e-mail telling me to "send it in", also supplying a link with instructions as to including payment for re-delivery.

The problem I have is two-fold. (1) I live in Spain so the cost of delivery would be too high. (2) Do I not have the right as a consumer to demand a replacement, given the nature of the fault?

Anyhow, the team at Spyerco have not been able or willing to address my questions regarding the impracticalities of their warranty/returns policies for overseas customers and any correspondence subsequent to the original e-mail (albeit three days ago) has fallen on deaf ears. I feel like I'm going to be ignored or told again to "send it in".

If this is the case, are there any other fixes anyone might be able to suggest.....I mean fixes for the situation, or literal fixes for the knife.

Much appreciated!

Matt.
skeletor

Re: Broken Spring on UKPK

Post by skeletor »

I collect Spyderco Slipjoints (coming from Germany) and I agree, that it is not reasonable, to send in a knife like the UKPK (costs in Germany about 65€) for transport costs (one way) of ~ 35€... I also broke a (split) UKPK spring once (absolutely my fault, with brute force when putting it together), so I decided to buy a new UKPK. Of course I would much appreciate of being able to buy small spare parts like springs, screws etc., not necessarily in Germany, but in Europe for Spyderco knives (as Spyderco being a global player with worldwide production sites and knives like the UKPK primarily designed for the UK market).
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

FWIW, the return shipping charge only applies if the problem is not covered under the warranty. Did you mention your location when you contacted them? I ask because, while Spyderco does not generally send out parts for "DIY" repairs, they may make exceptions in certain cases when the owner lives outside the USA.

Also be aware that the largest knife show in the USA is being held this weekend. Spyderco is a fairly small company, and most of their management team is there, so getting a "high level" official response may take a bit longer than usual.

As for the lack of "local" service, I severely doubt many European knife manufacturers have warranty/repair centers in the USA. If the knife was purchased locally and recently, you might try contacting your dealer but, aside from that, returning a knife to Spyderco for replacement is generally the only option for warranty issues.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Matt Owen

Post by Matt Owen »

The Deacon wrote:FWIW, the return shipping charge only applies if the problem is not covered under the warranty. Did you mention your location when you contacted them? I ask because, while Spyderco does not generally send out parts for "DIY" repairs, they may make exceptions in certain cases when the owner lives outside the USA.

Also be aware that the largest knife show in the USA is being held this weekend. Spyderco is a fairly small company, and most of their management team is there, so getting a "high level" official response may take a bit longer than usual.

As for the lack of "local" service, I severely doubt many European knife manufacturers have warranty/repair centers in the USA. If the knife was purchased locally and recently, you might try contacting your dealer but, aside from that, returning a knife to Spyderco for replacement is generally the only option for warranty issues.
Hi. Yes. I mentioned my location.

Hopefully you are right and they are mega busy and can't get back to me about it. However, I did e-mail them originally on Wednesday....and then again that same day to clarify the situation. Even if they sent me something automatic saying " Sorry but there might be a slight delay in answering your e-mail as we are at a trade fair" then that'd be fine. Anyway, we'll see how things unfold.

RE returning the knife. I would understand if the issue were less apparent but ,as I mentioned to them, braking a spring that forms part of a single, solid INTERNAl structure would be pretty much impossible to do through misuse. The only stress applied to the spring is present when closing the knife. The design, manufacturing and tolerance of this mechanism is something decided on by the producer of the knife. Essentially the knife closes itself. The user cannot affect this action in any way and as such cannot be responsible for malfunctions in this area.

Anyway, thanks for the response. We'll see what can be done.

Matt.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Matt Owen wrote:RE returning the knife. I would understand if the issue were less apparent but ,as I mentioned to them, braking a spring that forms part of a single, solid INTERNAl structure would be pretty much impossible to do through misuse. The only stress applied to the spring is present when closing the knife. The design, manufacturing and tolerance of this mechanism is something decided on by the producer of the knife. Essentially the knife closes itself. The user cannot affect this action in any way and as such cannot be responsible for malfunctions in this area.

Anyway, thanks for the response. We'll see what can be done.

Matt.
I understand what you are saying. The other side of the coin is that requiring the knife be returned serves multiple purposes. Having the knife in hand allows Spyderco to:

Determine if the knife is actually a Spyderco product, or a clone. This is a major issue with some models.

Determine if the issue is actually a warranty issue. That may be an easy call in your case, but is not always.

Determine if the problem is something that needs to be addressed in future production, something that might indicate a need for more thorough QC inspection, or a simple isolated case of a hidden flaw in a piece of steel or other material.

Finally, it's the only way to insure that a given knife is only replaced once. Unfortunately, there are enough dishonest people in the world to make this important and sending out new knives on the basis of someone's word, or even a photograph, would encourage the kind of abuse that led to Schrade's demise.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Matt Owen wrote:
FullSizeRender.jpg
Hi.

I contacted Spyderco and they sent me a generic e-mail telling me to "send it in", also supplying a link with instructions as to including payment for re-delivery.

The problem I have is two-fold. (1) I live in Spain so the cost of delivery would be too high. (2) Do I not have the right as a consumer to demand a replacement, given the nature of the fault?

Anyhow, the team at Spyerco have not been able or willing to address my questions regarding the impracticalities of their warranty/returns policies for overseas customers and any correspondence subsequent to the original e-mail (albeit three days ago) has fallen on deaf ears. I feel like I'm going to be ignored or told again to "send it in".

If this is the case, are there any other fixes anyone might be able to suggest.....I mean fixes for the situation, or literal fixes for the knife.

Much appreciated!

Matt.
Welcome to the forum, and sorry about your knife. You have the right as a consumer to be as demanding as you want, but that doesn't mean that manufacturers are legally obligated to accede to your demands. The only thing a picture posted on the internet proves is that you know how to post a picture. This particular picture proves that the knife in question has been disassembled, making it that much more difficult to determine exactly what happened. Yes, springs sometime break during normal use. It has happened to me as well. But since the knife has been disassembled, how can the manufacturer determine whether the failure was due to a defect in material (covered by warranty) or due to a ham-fisted amateur applying too much force in trying to reassemble his knife (not covered by warranty)? For that matter, how are they to determine that the knife in question is indeed a genuine Spyderco product and not a cheap knock-off from China?

I suppose Spyderco could just send out a new replacement knife for free to anyone who posts a picture of a broken one on the internet, but what are we going to do next month after they have to file bankruptcy?
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I have a little experience with this, as I live on the other side of the planet. They normally wave the $5 return fee, and there is no charge for them returning the knife (warrantee issues), in my experience. I just had to get it into their hands. It is up to you to decide whether it is worth your time, effort, and money, to return the knife. I will say that Spyderco is pretty stand-up when it comes to their service.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
valenciamanu

Post by valenciamanu »

Try to get in touch with Esteller.Es the official importer of Spyderco in Spain.
I already sent them products from other brands that also distribute.
I have always been solved even if once I do not agree with a multistop multi-tool in granite.
It will always be better than having a broken knife
http://www.esteller.com
Matt Owen

Post by Matt Owen »

yablanowitz wrote:
Matt Owen wrote:FullSizeRender.jpg

Hi.

Much appreciated!

Matt.
Welcome to the forum, and sorry about your knife. You have the right as a consumer to be as demanding as you want, but that doesn't mean that manufacturers are legally obligated to accede to your demands. The only thing a picture posted on the internet proves is that you know how to post a picture. This particular picture proves that the knife in question has been disassembled, making it that much more difficult to determine exactly what happened. Yes, springs sometime break during normal use. It has happened to me as well. But since the knife has been disassembled, how can the manufacturer determine whether the failure was due to a defect in material (covered by warranty) or due to a ham-fisted amateur applying too much force in trying to reassemble his knife (not covered by warranty)? For that matter, how are they to determine that the knife in question is indeed a genuine Spyderco product and not a cheap knock-off from China?

I suppose Spyderco could just send out a new replacement knife for free to anyone who posts a picture of a broken one on the internet, but what are we going to do next month after they have to file bankruptcy?
Firstly, I am not being demanding. I just want a knife that works for more than a year. Normally the knives I buy last for longer than a year.

Second. Disassembling the knife (unscrewing three torx screws!) is the ONLY way to see what the fault is.

Third. Are you seriously suggesting that ANYONE would be capable of cracking the spring of this knife while trying to reassemble this knife. I think you are being a little bit ridiculous.

Fourth. It is not a cheap knock-off. It was imported from Canada. I have seen the knockoffs and the differences in the finish and unfortunately this is a genuine knife. Again. This can be determined with hi-res photos. It should not be necessary for the producer of this knife to hold the object in order to determine whether or not it is an original.

Lastly, If you think that sending out a replacement part to a customer once in a blue moon (which I imagine is approximately how often someone from outside America will contact them regarding an issue like this) is going to harm the company then , again, I think you are being a bit daft. I think that for Spyderco, sending out a new spring section would be of minimal cost to them, would resolve a problem that they are to blame for and would appease a dissatisfied customer.

Far from trying to communicate with me on this issue I have received minimal correspondence from Spyderco. From the point of view of an honest customer Spyderco = Bad products and bad customer service. I'm sorry to say.
Matt Owen

Post by Matt Owen »

valenciamanu wrote:Try to get in touch with Esteller.Es the official importer of Spyderco in Spain.
I have always been solved even if once I do not agree with a multistop multi-tool in granite.
Hola Manu,

Pero este distribuidor me ayudara con una navaja que compré en ebay desde Canadá ?
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Hey Matt, sorry for your frustration.

This past weekend was Blade Show here in the states. It is the largest knife show of the year and I am sure that most of the Spyderco crew has been quite busy with that. They do not have as many employees as you might think. ;) I suggest trying to reach out to them again now that they are catching up.

Also, while I realize your frustration there is no need to be upset with Yab, he is just relaying what Spyderco has said many times. Fakes are getting very difficult to identify through pics and Spyderco has said that they must see them in person to tell. Also, never underestimate a ham fisted individuals ability to bugger up a simple task. Spyderco has said many times that they get boxes of knife parts sent in from people who cannot reassemble their knives. Also, never underestimate the number of people out there trying to hustle a company. It sucks but it is true. Spyderco has said that their policy is in place partly due to the bazillion fakes out there. Providing warranty work to fakes would undoubtedly cost them too much.

You may not like the policy in place but those are the terms you agreed to when you purchased the knife. Simple as that. Spyderco is a reasonable company filled with reasonable people. Keep a level head and keep trying and I am sure you can work something out. Remember, you catch more flies with honey than vinegar. I hope you work it all out. :)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

I'd suggest to be patient and email Charlynn at customer service. She's going to find out the best way to resolve the situation.

I had Byrd that had clip screws problem, and after fully disclosing what I did and the problem with Charlynn, she sent me some replacement. I also live overseas so returning will be troublesome and the matter was resolved accordingly. Company policy is to protect them, and only them can bend the rules for customer. It will only happen if they are sure the request is genuine. Try again, I hope your problem gets resolved.
Chris :spyder:
araneae

Post by araneae »

Matt Owen wrote:
yablanowitz wrote:
Matt Owen wrote:FullSizeRender.jpg

Hi.

Much appreciated!

Matt.

Firstly, I am not being demanding. I just want a knife that works for more than a year. Normally the knives I buy last for longer than a year.

Second. Disassembling the knife (unscrewing three torx screws!) is the ONLY way to see what the fault is.

Third. Are you seriously suggesting that ANYONE would be capable of cracking the spring of this knife while trying to reassemble this knife. I think you are being a little bit ridiculous.

Fourth. It is not a cheap knock-off. It was imported from Canada. I have seen the knockoffs and the differences in the finish and unfortunately this is a genuine knife. Again. This can be determined with hi-res photos. It should not be necessary for the producer of this knife to hold the object in order to determine whether or not it is an original.

Lastly, If you think that sending out a replacement part to a customer once in a blue moon (which I imagine is approximately how often someone from outside America will contact them regarding an issue like this) is going to harm the company then , again, I think you are being a bit daft. I think that for Spyderco, sending out a new spring section would be of minimal cost to them, would resolve a problem that they are to blame for and would appease a dissatisfied customer.

Far from trying to communicate with me on this issue I have received minimal correspondence from Spyderco. From the point of view of an honest customer Spyderco = Bad products and bad customer service. I'm sorry to say.
Hi Matt,
Here's the thing, Spyderco has a set policy for warranties and you live overseas. You knew both of those conditions before you bought the knife. Spyderco asked to see the knife for the reasons previously mentioned- not unreasonable as there are hundreds of really good fakes on the market now, especially Ebay. They don't send out parts to people that as the general public are not trained cutlers who can safely assemble a potentially dangerous tool. That would put the company at risk of liability. You disassembled the knife as mentioned, and clearly you feel you are capable of that, but Spyderco doesn't know you or you capabilities. Just ask how many knives they get a year from people who couldn't re-assemble a knife they took apart.

I think you need to relax a bit, give Spyderco time to respond again and realize that anything they do for you is already a bonus as you took the knife apart and have 0 warranty currently. They are reasonable people and it doesn't seem like they have asked you anything unreasonable as of yet. I'm sorry you are receiving what you view as bad CS and a bad product, but Spyderco generally have a pretty great reputation for going above and beyond for their customers. They are a small company, give them time to make it right.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

Matt Owen wrote: Second. Disassembling the knife (unscrewing three torx screws!) is the ONLY way to see what the fault is.
You may very well be correct, but the warranty specifically says that they don't cover damage caused by improper disassembly. Therefore, if you disassemble one of their knives for any reason, you run the risk of voiding the warranty, either through direct damage (not what happened here) or by causing the appearance of damage during disassembly (also not what happened here). Either way, if you want to be sure your issue is covered under the warranty, you shouldn't disassemble the knife, but instead send it to Spyderco. Their warranty department is in Colorado, and unfortunately shipping to that location is difficult for you. However, this is not something that can be easily remedied by Spyderco, and it's a caveat on all their products bought outside North America.

I don't think you broke it when you disassembled it. But I do think that disassembling the knife yourself cannot be "the only way to see what the fault is", because there is a clear alternative: sending the knife to the manufacturer for repair. A third alternative could be to try to return the knife to the seller, given that they have a 1-year or more return policy, and they can then return it to Spyderco for you (which may save you some or all of your initial shipping costs).

Otherwise, welcome to the forum. We're genuinely trying to help you out with this, because we believe in Spyderco both as a knifemaker and as a company. Give them a chance and they'll do their best to help you out. :)
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

Matt Owen wrote: Hola Manu,

Pero este distribuidor me ayudara con una navaja que compré en ebay desde Canadá ?
Hi, Matt:
I'm sorry for your frustration. Charlynn and I spoke about your situation this morning and we're going to review it with Eric this afternoon.

The information that our members have shared with you is all very valid and unfortunately true. Given the fact that you purchased your knife from someone on eBay (and not an Authorized Spyderco Dealer) increases the likelihood of it being counterfeit.

I'm not saying that is because we simply cannot make that judgment based on a photo. I understand your point of view that you believe we should be able to but we're speaking from the experience of looking at countless counterfeits over the past several years. Counterfeiters have gone to great lengths to reverse engineer our products. One of the most difficult judgments we've ever had to make was in fact, a Black Lightweight UK Penknife that ultimately was proven to be a counterfeit.

I can also understand some of the assumptions that you've made above. Our experience, however, has taught us some very different lessons. We genuinely want to do right by our customers (you). Please hang in there just a little bit longer and Charlynn will get back to you as soon as possible once we've been able to review the situation with Eric.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
valenciamanu

Post by valenciamanu »

Matt Owen wrote:
valenciamanu wrote:Try to get in touch with Esteller.Es the official importer of Spyderco in Spain.
Hola Manu,

I do not know if it is repaired under warranty.

But you have to repair it because it is an official technical service.

a greeting
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

Hi, Matt:
We just finished up our meeting with Eric and as with every W&R case, we've given careful consideration to your issue. I think you'll be pleased with the resolution. Charlynn will be in touch soon with the details.

Thanks much for posting and for your patience.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

TazKristi wrote:Hi, Matt:
We just finished up our meeting with Eric and as with every W&R case, we've given careful consideration to your issue. I think you'll be pleased with the resolution. Charlynn will be in touch soon with the details.

Kristi
Knives are fine, but i come here these days to pick up tips on customer service. Much more useful imo.
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Glad to know you're being taken care of.
:cool:
Chris :spyder:
Matt Owen

Post by Matt Owen »

TazKristi wrote:Hi, Matt:

Kristi
Ok. Thanks a lot Kristi. I appreciate your reassuring me.

Hopefully we can come to a solution that'll please not only me but you guys too.

Ta.

Matt