Help with Dragonfly for EDC

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
40mm

Help with Dragonfly for EDC

Post by 40mm »

Hey folks. Thinking about picking up a Dragonfly and debating which version to get. This will be used as an EDC type knife but also be used on fishing trips and things like that. I had an Ambitious a little while back which I really liked, but it started to show rust around the pivot after some waistband carry over the summer (pretty humid where I live). The H1 serrated is standing out to me right now for being rust proof but I've never had a serrated knife before, not even a combo edge. Any advice as to which D'fly I should grab or opinions on the serrated H1 as an all around user? Thanks in advance!
Evil D

Re: Help with Dragonfly for EDC

Post by Evil D »

I have 3 and the SE Salt version gets the most use by far.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
dreadpirate

Post by dreadpirate »

HAP 40 if they are available.
dreadpirate

Post by dreadpirate »

if corrosion resistance is important - the H1 is the obvious choice.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Yea, if corrosion resistance is what your looking for than the H1 would be best. I only have the a few, super blue, HAP40 and G10 which is VG10. I use the HAP40 the most, its a great piece for sure.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I like the HAP40 too but I'm also very happy with the plain (black) VG10. The G10 DF is really nice as well but I use that as more of a gentleman's/office carry rather than an EDC.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Mora2013

Post by Mora2013 »

I'm not sure what the big deal with rust is. A few hours soak in vinegar or evaporust should rid the rust and perhaps patina a blade a little.

Nevertheless, I have the orange vg10pe and the serrated h1se. Both have worked well for their purposes, the vg10 being my current edc, while the serrated gets carried on days where water activities are involved.

In retrospect, I think I would be just fine with the h1pe. I know folks put down the h1pe and promote the h1se; however, how long are you away from a sharpener? Unless I'm away on a camping trip or vacation, I'm usually home at the end of the day and can strop my blades in 2-3 minutes if need be. If I'm on a camping trip, I'm probably not taking along a dragonfly in favor of my hatchet and fixed blades. On vacation, I usually have a small pocket sharpener just in case in my suitcase.

FWIW, I have the vg10 as my edc over the h1 serrated because I highly prefer FFG over hollow grinds for my edc.
Last edited by Mora2013 on Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

I have the Hap40 and zdp189 version. I am very happy with zdp in the dfly2. Were I to lose it, I'd buy it again.

It holds a great edge. Hard to reprofile though.
Ryan

“Every created being is so constituted as to be capable of vice and virtue. For he can do nothing praiseworthy, if he had not the power of turning either way.” - Justin Martyr
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I've got a DFly in Super Blue, Hap 40, ZDP-189, and H-1; and I've given 2 vg-10 Dflys away to friends in a diabolical ploy to get them hooked on Spyderco...
Honestly, they are all good. Doesn't matter which one you pick, you literally can't go wrong. :D
20160314_174825.jpg
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

For what you want, H1 is the obvious choice, whether plain edged or serrated edged. The next best choice would be VG-10 as it has good corrosion resistance (but is not rust proof like H1).

I do not know about this, but some have said that PE H1 has edge retention about like AUS8. If that is true, then that is really not too bad. It would not be S110V or some uber steel, but it is still decent. That is much better than a Mora that everyone raves about for outdoor use (12C28, in the 440A class).
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

Good old VG10.Very rust resistent,easy to sharpen.Orange FRN,if you dont mind it weights nothing.In this case i think the cheapest is still the best.
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

From what I understand you need the H1 serrated or the orange VG10 plain.I carry and use the H1 serrated quite a lot.Terrific cutting little beast :eek:

Marius
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Whichever you get, you won't be disappointed. Here's a vid to help convince you...

https://youtu.be/Vsd-o6BbY48
- best wishes, Jazz.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I like the ZDP version for EDC.
40mm

Post by 40mm »

Thanks for all the input and photos, and Jazz that video is great! Loved your Wharncliffe Delica vid. I ended up going with a H1 serrated. Pretty excited. Should arrive today. The only thing I'm not sure I'll love is the yellow handle but ya never know. I don't shy away from mods so I can always give it a Rit Dye job. :)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I always thought I'd dye mine but the yellow also helps to give it a friendlies appearance which helps when you use it in questionable situations.
~David
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Yellow grows on you, after a while, and if you ever drop it outdoors you can easily find it. Still, orange would be nice, or bright blue, with the H1. But, then again, blue would get lost in the water.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
dreadpirate

Post by dreadpirate »

You know - you might want to look at an Urban in K390 steel. I have one and it's awesome. I think if you keep it lightly oiled you should be fine with respect to corrosion.
40mm

Post by 40mm »

Dragonfly arrived today. I went with the H1 serrated aaaaaannnnnd......it's sweet. I made another thread last year trying to have people talk me OUT of getting a Dragonfly which many refused to even attempt to do. I'm glad I gave it a try because I think it's going to be awesome for my intended use. Weeklong fishing trip coming up and this will be in my waistband over the summer when trail running, mountain biking, yard work etc. Here are some pictures of it straight out of the box. Also I'm going to let the yellow be and see how I like it before I go wild and try the Rit Dye. Thanks again for all of your advice!
Imageimage by Six Pound Cat, on FlickrImageimage by Six Pound Cat, on Flickr
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I think it's the best small knife available. Of you wanted something fancier then the Chaparral is a similar size but the Dragonfly is so light and feels so good in your hand and the SE version is a heck of a cutter. It's also one of the thinnest blades you can get with serrations.
~David