Ergonomics

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Koop

Ergonomics

Post by Koop »

I've been driving my wife crazy while we watch TV and I flip though my my Spydercos and ask myself which one fits better, which one opens better, which one closes better. At the end of the day, I find the ergos are awesome - they all work. I'm leaning toward the Manix, but depending on circumstance any of the Spydercos I currently own will work.
PM2 Camo DLC S30V - Chaparral XHP - Delica 4 VG-10 -Manix 2 LW CTS BD1 - Manix 2 LW KC Exclusive XHP - Tenacious 8Cr13MoV - Dragonfly VG10 - PM3 Sprint Cruwear Light Gray G10 - K08 Santoku
EmperorMA

Re: Ergonomics

Post by EmperorMA »

Nothing beats a well-built compression lock for me. The easiest to operate one-handed and blindfolded if I had to. **** .... left-handed and blindfolded if push came to shove.

My blurple PM2 S110V is so smooth ..... a pure joy to flick and operate. Without question my all-time favorite knife.

I have a Para 3 that isn't far behind.

I also like the CBBL on my Manix 2. Very cool to play with but IMHO just not quite on the same level as my compression lock Spydies. Still awesome, though, and I could happily have just the Manix for its ergos.

Frame and liner locks are OK. I like them just fine but the only knife I seem to like with such an action is the Military. I think I'd like the Military if it were permanently rusted open, though.

Backlocks are my least favorite. Not intuitive nor as easy as others to manipulate one-handed, I just don't ever catch myself playing with or ogling over a backlock knife. That being said, I do love the Caly 3.5 for the way it feels in my hand and for the way it gets so much **** blade into so small a package. Its a great EDC when food-prep and other slicer-type duties are on tap. The Delica is great, too, as well as the Dfly. I can see myself always having at least one of each.
Wishlist: Delica 4 FFG VG10, Manix 2 LW XHP, Military 204P and S110V, Para 3 Cruwear and S110V, Paramilitary 2 (all versions), SpydieChef LC200N, Caribbean PE and Sheepsfoot SE

Procured: Caly 3.5 VG10, Dragonfly 2 LW VG10, Manix 2 XL S30V, Native 5 LW S110V, Para 3 S30V, Paramilitary 2 S110V
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

My Sprig fits my hand beautifully no matter how I grip it. :cool:

Try as I might I haven't been able to close it so I couldn't tell you how it opens. :p
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

The Dragonfly is a master example of superior ergonomics.

Back locks rule, by the way. Very easy to close one handed.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Bugs

Post by Bugs »

"Back locks rule, by the way. Very easy to close one handed."
I too was smitten by the compression lock until I got comfortable with the back lock. Very easy to open/close one handed and it is also ambidextrous which the compression lock is not.
Playing in SW FL Back Country with Tarpon, Snook & Reds.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Any folder from Caly lineage has brilliant spydernomics IMO, second close comes Domino and third is Dfly2.I dislike backlocks and I favor liner locks and comp locks.

Marius
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

Jazz wrote:The Dragonfly is a master example of superior ergonomics.

I love the DF,and hope Sal will make a XL version.
That beign said,i have small hands,but the Endura fits me like glove.Back locks may not be the funniest to play with,or the fastes to close,but they keep the knife slim which i love.
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

THEE absolute most "ergonomic Spyder" that is up to this point is without a doubt the C-60 Ayoob model. I distant second and third are the Dodo model and the JD Smith model.

But the Ayoob model is truly a genius design. When I hold the Ayoob ( especially the G-10 handle Sprint Run) it feels so natural when using it I sometimes wish that Mr. Ayoob and Sal Glesser would get together again to design a fixed blade with similar ergos.

The Dodo model feels to me like it's truly tailor made for my hand as though they were designing for me as an individual. But you are right because there are many great Spyder models with great ergnomics. It's really been one of their most sterling selling points for most all of their great blades.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

THEE absolute most "ergonomic Spyder" that is up to this point is without a doubt the C-60 Ayoob model. I distant second and third are the Dodo model and the JD Smith model.

But the Ayoob model is truly a genius design. When I hold the Ayoob ( especially the G-10 handle Sprint Run) it feels so natural when using it I sometimes wish that Mr. Ayoob and Sal Glesser would get together again to design a fixed blade with similar ergos.

The Dodo model feels to me like it's truly tailor made for my hand as though they were designing for me as an individual. But you are right because there are many great Spyder models with great ergnomics. It's really been one of their most sterling selling points for most all of their great blades.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I agonized over the Manix 2 vs the Para 2 for a solid year. It was especially hard because I had spent a lot of cash on an out of production sprint P2 so I was financially obligated to be happy with it. In the beginning it was easy because the M2 had a low hollow grind that I just couldn't stand, so the P2 was a far better slicer. Then I found an M4 sprint Manix 2 that was FFG and it was a major eye opener. Now I had a knife that sliced as well (or better considering it has thinner blade stock) and both were sprints so I didn't feel biased because of money/investment.

So, eventually I settled on the Manix 2. Ergonomics are the biggest reason, it just fits my hand far better. I have wide hands and when I grip the Para 2 behind the choil my pinky ends up on the point at the butt of the handle​and I hate that. It also doesn't feel quite as good to me gripped on the choil, because I really prefer using Filipino grip whenever possible so I prefer a lower or no thumb ramp. Both locks are among my favorites and I like them both for different reasons so that wasn't really a deciding factor. I will say this though, if the back lock Manix 2 gets some hot sprint runs, I'll most likely jump ship for the solid G10 handle.

Beyond that I just like the Manix 2 more aesthetically. I like the leaf shaped blade and I like how the liners aren't nested because they made it possible to mod the handle shape a bit more to my liking. Now I have the perfect Manix 2.

All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I think all the Spydies are fairly ergonomic. Ones that aren't are done in the spirit of the ethnic background or due to the collaborator's original design. That said, my hands don't fit all the knives. The Stretch for me is pretty amazing. No hot spots anywhere in any grip.
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

Jazz wrote:The Dragonfly is a master example of superior ergonomics.

I just got my Df2 back from a buddy today. I forgot how great it feels in hand. My PM2's are great, but Df2 is perfection.
Ryan

“Every created being is so constituted as to be capable of vice and virtue. For he can do nothing praiseworthy, if he had not the power of turning either way.” - Justin Martyr
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

For folders, the Stretch seems to be just the right fit, odd mine don't get more carry time. Also love ergo's of the Aqua Salt, pure comfort. Sal knows how to design knives that are good in the hand.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Going from small to large, these are the most ergonomic Spydercos for me:

Spin, UKPK, Lil Temp 1, Pacific Salt / Endura 3, Manix XL, Military, Szabo folder. As far as fixed blades go, Swick with G10 scales and the Aqua Salt.

Bugs wrote:"Back locks rule, by the way. Very easy to close one handed."
I too was smitten by the compression lock until I got comfortable with the back lock. Very easy to open/close one handed and it is also ambidextrous which the compression lock is not.
Same story here. Always viewed backlocks as quaint / old school.

Compression locks are more fun to play with but backlocks aren't any tougher to close one handed.

I EDC backlocks exclusively save for a Manix XL I sometimes carry. They stay closed better than any other locking knife Spyderco offers. That's really important to me after experiencing some detent based locking knives opening in my pocket unexpectedly.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The Manix 2 Back Lock is the one I like best, followed by the Delica, Urban LW, and Dragonfly. All have superior Spydernomics, After that, the Military would be my favorite. I was just about to post a thread on these knives.

(Back locks are as easy as liner/frame locks to open and close one handed, especially with the Spyder Hole.)
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

Sypderco does an amazing job with ergonomics and I totally get what you're saying about say picking up a Delica and thinking it is the greatest thing ever and then picking up say a M2LW and thinking the same thing. That's a testament to how well they make their models.

At the risk of being blasphemous, one knife I found I personally am not thrilled with the ergos on is my Sage 5. It remains my most expensive folder and was a gift from my wife and I love it for that and many of it's features but, try as I might, I so far am not in love with the hand-feel. The clip pinches the meat of my hand a little and it just feels a bit, I don't know...Off. It's a great knife, just not quite right for my hand. But it isn't going anywhere for sure.

Designing "one-size-fits-all" stuff for the masses, especially around hands, is a tremendous undertaking. Toss the boisterous, finicky, near-crazy knife crowd into the mix and I'm surprised any one even tries. :D