Spyderco Khukri

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jdw

Spyderco Khukri

Post by jdw »

I have been fascinated my the ethnic series of knives even though I don't own many of them. Even though they are really overpriced on the secondary market I was thinking of buying a Khukri for a light edc. I wouldn't wan't to have a knife like that for a hard use folder but it just looks fun to carry. If folks out there who have one would share some input I would be interested in what you think of it as a light use folder and if there are any of the older ethnic series versions that you prefer to it. Thanks again.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
SG89

Re: Spyderco Khukri

Post by SG89 »

Don't have a khukri but I really loved my Zulu when I had it
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

My personal opinion is that of all the ethnic series knives, the khukri was the farthest off base. I do have one ( a factory second) and it suffers the same problems as all of Ed's other designs, which seems to be he designs for hands his size, and mine are a few sizes larger. It isn't a bad little knife, but it doesn't fit my hand and it certainly isn't a khukri as I understand them.
Last edited by yablanowitz on Tue May 30, 2017 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

:) I am thinking of selling my Zulu.. Really bought it just because it was available.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Reject

Post by Reject »

How much can a Koala bear?
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

Got one last year, that curved design is ideal for peeling fruit, apples, oranges etc.
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

Great light EDC. As toomzz just stated, an ideal fruit knife; but IMHO also a perfect all around picnic knife, and daily urban carry. The Kkukri's novel but non-threatning appearance and slender profile help to deflect the ire of non-knife people. I replaced the standard clip with a titanium deep pocket clip from USA Knifemakers, the slender one resembling a pen clip, which also helps. My favorite part is that I can almost cup (for lack of better description) the knife in my hand by wrapping my middle finger around the choil, placing my thumb on the blade near the Syderco logo, and resting my index finger on the spine near the very tip of the blade. This grip offers great control for precision cuts, and from helps minimize the appearance of a knife in hand.
Ales D

Post by Ales D »

Personally i will never undestand the "raison d'etre" of this kind of knifes as utility tools.
They are cool collectable objects [and as a blades collector that's,per se, a good reason to buy in my opinion ;)], but i'd never carry one of these on a dailly basis and with an utilitarian purpose.
NON AURO SED FERRO RECUPERANDA EST PATRIA
(Marcus Furius Camillus)
araneae

Post by araneae »

Ales D wrote:Personally i will never undestand the "raison d'etre" of this kind of knifes as utility tools.
They are cool collectable objects [and as a blades collector that's,per se, a good reason to buy in my opinion ;)], but i'd never carry one of these on a dailly basis and with an utilitarian purpose.
That must mean you have never handled one. There is no reason I can think of that the Khukri wouldn't make a fine EDC knife, and I have owned and used mine for years.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Ales D

Post by Ales D »

araneae wrote:
That must mean you have never handled one. There is no reason I can think of that the Khukri wouldn't make a fine EDC knife, and I have owned and used mine for years.
I'm not saying it can't be usefull, what i'm saying is: what's the advantage in a (very) short Khukri blade in everyday job?
Isn't a knife expressly disigned for that better anyway?

To get a real advantage from the reverse curved blade structure, you need a very longer [and heavier ] blade: just what an orginal Khukri has.
NON AURO SED FERRO RECUPERANDA EST PATRIA
(Marcus Furius Camillus)
araneae

Post by araneae »

Ales D wrote:
araneae wrote:
I'm not saying it can't be usefull, what i'm saying is: what's the advantage in a (very) short Khukri blade in everyday job?
Isn't a knife expressly disigned for that better anyway?

To get a real advantage from the reverse curved blade structure, you need a very longer [and heavier ] blade: just what an orginal Khukri has.
Well, if you are chopping brush, a full size kuk would be an advantage, but Ed's version is not intended for such tasks- its a folder. It would do just about anything I would ask a folding knife to do though. It's also very slim, light, and has a variety of comfortable hand grips that work for delicate to more rigorous cutting tasks. The negative blade angle also means it excels in pull cuts. I'd again suggest, don't judge it if you haven't used it.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Ed Schempp

Post by Ed Schempp »

This design had 5-6 prototypes where the design continually got smaller the flair at the butt of the handle was removed, the handle mid ridge was removed and the blade got shorter and the tip came up.
This knife is very compact has a fairly large Spyderco hole and has good ergonomics for opening letters, boxes, and blister packs.
Most that have used it have developed a positive relationship...Ed
paladin

Post by paladin »

To me, it's like a scaled up version of the Balance....mine gets in the EDC line-up from time to time...

It's a fine slicer with the neg. angle and little bit of recurve to gather your material out to the belly...

You could pick a better extreme "stabber" out of the Spyderco line-up...but in my workaday world, pruning overgrowth of shrubs is about as tactical as I get with a folder. :rolleyes: ;)
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
PaleMoon

Post by PaleMoon »

It's a really nice, useful EDC knife. The construction is solid and the ergos are excellent. The shape might come off as unusual, but it never gets in the way, i.e. it's not a case of form over function in my experience. I've stopped carrying mine as I found it to be too big for my needs and far too intimidating for the people around me.

My only real issue with the knife is the liner lock is somewhat stiff and unpleasant to disengage; I wish there'd be a small cutout in the front scale to access it. Otherwise I'd say it's easily in my top 5 knives from Spyderco.
The problem of a coherent civilization is the problem of living with ignorance and not being frustrated by it.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

From all the ethnic series I liked the Barong and I kick myself for not buying one.I am hunting one on the secondary market.I also liked the Persian series, I had a small black micarta one and it was stolen from me :(

Marius
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I have a regrind Khukuri by Razorsharp. Always loved the design but hated factor geometry, now it's perfect.