My simple technique for sharpening serrations

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

My simple technique for sharpening serrations

Post by vivi »

I'm still new to sharpening serrated edges so I'm by no means an expert. If you see some flaws in what I'm doing, I'm all ears.

https://youtu.be/Ptmx1iJELhU
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: My simple technique for sharpening serrations

Post by Doc Dan »

Thanks for the video. That was nothing like I thought it was going to be. So simple!
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Mora2013

Post by Mora2013 »

I've been sharpening similarly, although sometimes I flip and do the exactly opposite. Sharpening on the backside near parallel to the edge, and then taking off the burr on the front side with the corner of a strop. Wondering if anyone else out there does this?
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Hey vivi, that was an excellent video! Thanks for taking the time to do that. Personally, I like adding a microbevel that's 20 degrees on one side and 3 or 4 on the other as that gives me a little stronger edge but I like the way you're doing it here too. Nice work.
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Thank you for sharing the video and hair splitting sample. I rarely achieve hair splitting, so if my Atlantic Salt can achieve that, why not ;)
Chris :spyder:
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I have one rock solid recommendation>> Spyderco had a now discontinued sharpening tool known as the 701 Profile set. But the good news is that they are going to bring them back at least on a Sprint Run from what Mr. Glesser said a couple a months ago. He even said that they were going to make one of the 701 Profiles in CBN this time around. I hope that the Sprint Run is successful enough for them to consider bringing them back to the main line up again.

I manually sharpen most of my Spyderedged folders most of the time with my 701 Profile kit. The Spyderco 701 Profile Kit kit that I have contains a FINE and a MEDIUM set of ceramic stones and they do a really decent job. The main reason I love the 701 Profile kit so much more than I do the 204 Sharpmaker is that they keep the serrated edges looking just like they came from the factory.

Now I'm open to consider any new ideas on sharpening serrated edges. Now DMT company has some conical diamond rods that are great for really banged up scallops on serrated edges. But I like to sharpen the scallops and spikes manually and individually with the 701 Profile kit and find that the sharpened edge performs just as if the knife came from the factory.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Very nice, brother!

My only comment - I might add toe->heel strokes to your heel->toes strokes as that seems to hit inside the scallops more evenly for me

BTW - I heard the "Plain Edge Police" at the end of your video coming to take you away, haha. Hope you're okay?

Ken
Squawk

Post by Squawk »

Excellent Video, thank you! I never liked SE knives generally because i was afraid of sharpening them. Seeing your video makes me want to pick up a few right now ;-)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Good stuff. Just FYI though, it's not really the end of the world if you aren't "following the curve" on a PE knife unless we're talking about an extremely upswept tip. You can even deliberately sharpen in one direction and manipulate the teeth so that they cut more aggressively in a push or pull cut.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Nice vid, Vivi. Is that a strop in your vid? I also agree with this...
kbuzbee wrote: My only comment - I might add toe->heel strokes to your heel->toes strokes as that seems to hit inside the scallops more evenly for me
Ken
- best wishes, Jazz.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Vivi wrote:I'm still new to sharpening serrated edges so I'm by no means an expert. If you see some flaws in what I'm doing, I'm all ears.

Do you use the 40 degrees or the 30 degrees setting on your Sharpmaker ? It would be interesting to see what are the differences between a hollow ground spyderedge and a ffg spyderedge( ex: wharnie se Delica) apex angle wise.I am tempted to use the 30 degree setting when it comes to sharpening my wharnie se Delica

Marius
hovan2yourknives

Post by hovan2yourknives »

Great video! What is is about sharpening that's so calming? Sharpening is 1/2 the reason I continue to feed my knife addiction. Never got into sharpening serrations though...I might have to give it a shot and develop my own techniques now that I know there are some simple ways to get it done. I only own a handful with serrations, most are combo...only my H1 DF2 is fully serrated.

Has anyone every tried to convert a combo edge to a fully serrated edge? I have a Delica 4 all blacked out that I'd love to try it on but I'm a little concerned that it might take forever. I do have a CRKT Veff sharper that I bought just for serrations, which works ok...it's a little awkward because the sharpening surface on each step is fairly short. I could try to use that to get it done but, after seeing the Salt 2, I might just buy one in SE and call it a day!
wolfgaze

Post by wolfgaze »

Squawk wrote:Excellent Video, thank you! I never liked SE knives generally because i was afraid of sharpening them. Seeing your video makes me want to pick up a few right now ;-)
Ditto!
sal

Post by sal »

Thanx Vivi, nice video. I use a slower stroke to make sure that the corner of the white stone gets into each serration.

sal
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Thanks for posting your vid Vivi. I haven't had to sharpen either of my SE edge knives yet so this is helpful. For some reason I thought sharpening SE was done one serration at a time. Thanks for setting me straight. I think I'll try touching up my Salt 1 and Ladybug SE knives now.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Vivi wrote:I'm still new to sharpening serrated edges so I'm by no means an expert. If you see some flaws in what I'm doing, I'm all ears.

That Hulk Hogan shirt stole the spotlight...very cool
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I love videos like this, thanks Vivi. You make it look easy, and you've inspired me to go practice again. I know I need practice, because I sharpened my Salt SE, and it is not nearly as sharp as my Ladybug Hawkbill SE, which was new out of the box.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I tried it and my Ladybug is still sharper. The Salt is plenty sharp and functional, but it tears the paper, while the Ladybug slices it. I have the old model sharp maker with only one set of holes for the stones. I wonder if the angle is right for this, since, over time, the holes have loosened a bit and the stones rock a little. Probably I just need more practice.
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

How do you sharpen the 2 small v-shaped grooves between the larger round grooves?
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

I use my Sharpmaker, but slower strokes like Sal mentioned.

Also, and I've not tried it yet, I read somewhere you can use a leather boot lace treated with green jewelers paste as a strop for serrated edges.