Official Sliverax Discussion Thread

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
paulwa

Official Sliverax Discussion Thread

Post by paulwa »

Howdy everyone,

Been waiting for Spyderco to rename the design before kicking off this thread in order to limit any additional confusion; and now that they've christened it the "Sliverax", I'll try to answer any questions, address any concerns, and also provide a place for comments, reviews, functional issues, mod pics... anything Sliverax related.

To start things off, I just want to let folks know I have no extra information related to release date or pricing other than that what's been publicly shared, so I can't help much on those fronts, but anything else is fair game.

Thanks for your interest, and fire away!
- Paul
Evil D

Re: Official Sliverax Discussion Thread

Post by Evil D »

I've looked at it so much in pics I don't think I have any questions other than the ones you can't answer. I was trying to get an idea of size by referencing the blade length with a ruler and it seems a little smaller than it looked in the videos especially in the handle.

I guess my biggest question is would YOU be interested in sprint runs? I'm not sure if this is something that the designer has any input with, I know Sal commented once about Michael Janich having the say in whether or not a DLC Yojimbo 2 would ever happen. It seems like collaboration sprints happen far less but we've also seen several versions of the Dogtag and two versions of the Southard. I would just really REALLY love to get the Sliverax in M4, and since it's Taichung made it seems doable.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
timlara

Post by timlara »

No questions for me really, other than "where do I dump out my wallet?" :D

Congrats on the design - it looks like it should be a very good balance of form & function.

Agree w/ David that it'll be great to maybe see a steel upgrade at some point. You never know - there was a sprint of the Positron in orange, for example. Maybe a dealer exclusive could make it happen. (Ahem...KnifeWorks, are you listening?)
Tim
Tyrdle

Post by Tyrdle »

I'm pretty excited about the Sliverax. I cut out the image of it in the catalog and turned that into a 3D model. Then I scaled that into the actual size of the knife according to the catalog and 3D printed it. It feels great in hand! I want it even more now. It gave me a comparison to other knives I have. If anyone wants comparison pics ask me!
:spyder: Turtles can have knives too, right? :spyder:
Aus-8 Delica 1 ATS-55 Endura UK Penknife
Positron Mamba Blurple PM2
paladin

Post by paladin »

Tyrdle wrote:I'm pretty excited about the Sliverax. I cut out the image of it in the catalog and turned that into a 3D model. Then I scaled that into the actual size of the knife according to the catalog and 3D printed it. It feels great in hand! I want it even more now. It gave me a comparison to other knives I have. If anyone wants comparison pics ask me!

That's incredible! Please post some "in hand" pics of the mock-up when you get a couple minutes!...Thanks
paulwa wrote:
Howdy everyone,

Been waiting for Spyderco to rename the design before kicking off this thread in order to limit any additional confusion; and now that they've christened it the "Sliverax", I'll try to answer any questions, address any concerns, and also provide a place for comments, reviews, functional issues, mod pics... anything Sliverax related.

To start things off, I just want to let folks know I have no extra information related to release date or pricing other than that what's been publicly shared, so I can't help much on those fronts, but anything else is fair game.

Thanks for your interest, and fire away!
- Paul
Looks to be a winner...thanks for the design! As for questions:

1. Phosphor bronze washers? Or can you tell/ do you know?

2. Do you know the significance of the model name "Silverax?"

TIA! :) :spyder: :)
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
AwayFromMySpydieHole

Post by AwayFromMySpydieHole »

Tyrdle wrote:I'm pretty excited about the Sliverax. I cut out the image of it in the catalog and turned that into a 3D model. Then I scaled that into the actual size of the knife according to the catalog and 3D printed it. It feels great in hand! I want it even more now. It gave me a comparison to other knives I have. If anyone wants comparison pics ask me!

Now *that* is what I call being excited about a knife. Haha.
paulwa

Post by paulwa »

Well, everyone thanks for the overall high level of interest and praise for the design. I had about a week with the production prototype before the Amsterdam meet and she was running really smoothly, then. I didn't take it apart (that was before the warranty change ;)), but it's definitely on ball bearings. I'm not 100% certain, but since it has stainless liners, there would be no need for the washers used on Ti framed bearing knives, which means it may be destined for production sooner rather than later because a redesign was not needed.

I didn't get too much input on materials, but was actually very pleased with the high-end/blue collar treatment it received - will be beautiful but affordable. That said and as D requested, cranking it up to my own personal 11... I think I probably would end up pitching M4 as the steel, as I really enjoy working a patina on the traditional folders I buy. Sacrifice a tad of edge retention for toughness in the treatment, and it should make a fine working blade. As for the handle, maybe something that shows its scars a bit, too; like white/natural linen micarta. I'd also give the handle a nice, deeply rounded contour to every one of its edges, then bead blast it for a little extra traction. This may also help improve its collectibility, as a pristine version would, hopefully, be pretty rare. I know I couldn't stop myself from slathering mustard on the thing and using it.
But seriously, please give this version a spin first... if it doesn't sell, that sprint is definitely never going to happen. :(

Thanks everyone,
- Paul
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Oh I definitely can't wait for a sprint so I'll be on board with the standard release. Paul buddy I swear you and I share a brain because I'm all in for your sprint ideas. I would LOVE to see this in M4 and natural linen micarta, and the more contouring the better.
~David
Trevitrace

Post by Trevitrace »

M4 and micarta? That would be an absolute must-have for me.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Anyone care to wager a guess on the MAP of this knife?
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Spydergirl88 wrote:Anyone care to wager a guess on the MAP of this knife?
I'd say easily in the $150-180 range.
~David
timlara

Post by timlara »

That's a good guess, if it's on bearings I would expect it to be somewhere in the ballpark of the Positron price. I was kinda hoping for it to be on phosphor bronze and be more in line with the Sage 5 in cost, but I'm still in regardless as long as it's under $200 with typical Taichung fit and finish.

Nothing wrong with Spyderco's S30v at all, though I'm sort of surprised they aren't doing more S35vn as that seems to be the trend of some of the competitors like ZT.
Tim
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

Held the prototype in hand in Amsterdam last February. Liked it from the start. The design of the combination of a flipper and the complock was quite sophisticated IMHO. I am considering to get one for that reason and the design, nice as well. Although I would love to see it in a different steel. Stainless as well, indeed maybe S35VN (not because of ZT or CRK), S90V or XHP, something different than 'good old' S30V.
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

Evil D wrote:Oh I definitely can't wait for a sprint so I'll be on board with the standard release. Paul buddy I swear you and I share a brain because I'm all in for your sprint ideas. I would LOVE to see this in M4 and natural linen micarta, and the more contouring the better.
Oh yeah..... :rolleyes:
Slumblor

Post by Slumblor »

Evil D wrote:
Spydergirl88 wrote:Anyone care to wager a guess on the MAP of this knife?
I'd say easily in the $150-180 range.
MSRP is $249.95, so map should be $150
PM2 Cruwear, PM2 S35VN, PM2 S30V, Manix 2 LW S110V, Manix 2 LW CTS-XHP, Native 5 LW S35VN, Native 5 G10 S35VN, Mantra M4, Sage 5 S30V, Chaparral CTS-XHP, Stretch Hap40, Stretch VG10, Centofante 3 VG10, Delica 4 Hap40, Delica 4 ZDP 189, Delica 4 VG10, Dragonfly 2 VG10, Ladybug 3 H1, Caly3 ZDP189, Urban LW K390
Nate

Post by Nate »

While this looks must buy regardless, I am curious how similar or different the Taichung cf look and texture will be compared to the Golden solid peel-ply cf, which I have missed since I sold my 154/s90v Para2 sprint.

Hard to tell from the available pics so far...
:spyder:
paulwa

Post by paulwa »

Now that we've got the sprint run/flash batch version of the Sliverax for next year all figured out (make it so, No. 1), I went back through the thread and found a question I inadvertently skipped, but I wanted to address. Plus, toomzz's compression lock flipper comment is enough to get the designer in me monologueing, so here goes...

The "Sliver" was the name I originally gave the knife for a number of reasons a couple years ago when the design was first submitted to Spyderco. Because another company released a knife of the same name recently, that original name was off the table. The rest is just my guess, but I believe Spyderco was trying to find a name that still preserved the original word in some way to have a bit of consistency from when the knife was originally unveiled as the Sliver, but tweak it enough so that there wouldn't be any potential issues with the other manufacturer. I like to think they also wanted to stay as true to the original name, which I was personally quite enamoured with, as possible, and the "Sliverax" was what they settled on. So that's how I'm assuming the business side of the name change came about... but the story I tell myself when I think about the new name is this:
A lot of my designs, especially the ones that have made it to production so far, tend to be pretty fluid and organic or biologically inspired. Add the Spydie-hole, and my brain automatically starts seeing creatures/animals in the designs (zoomorphism is the literary term for this, not sure what the industrial design community calls it). For example, I think of the Ouroboros as more of a dexterous tree-dwelling sort of creature, where the Sliverax is a sleeker, faster species that would potentially hunt the grasslands. So with that sort of fevered thinking going on in my mind, when I say "Sliverax" to myself, I see something akin to what could be efficiently described as a "knife-type Pokémon", and that makes me smile... so, I guess that means I actually quite like the new name, even if it's a bit odd on the first take.
(Disclaimer: I seriously doubt that this is the same train of thought the Spyderco marketing team had in mind with the re-naming, but you never know...)

Well, that took a bit longer to hash through than I thought it would, so I'll talk compression lock flippers in a later post when I have a bit more time to compose my thoughts.

Enjoy your pre-Memorial Day Sunday, everyone,
- Paul
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

My thoughts on this knife: MUCH WANT VERY YES.

Also: I'm ok with bearings, especially if there aren't any washers due to stainless liners. This knife looks incredible and I can't wait to get one. I'm also excited about it being ~$150 MAP. I am also OK with S30V, but I'd love to see this in something nicer. Now, I'm down with M4, but I'd really love to see it in M390/CTS204P/20CV. I think it would be really great for Spyderco to make more production knives in those steels.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Any in-hand pics floating around? I like the design, but never buy a knife till I handle one. Plan on checking it out this coming BLADE show.
A-TAZ

Post by A-TAZ »

I'm on board with this one enough that I'm probably going to skip some sprints I'd otherwise be purchasing... Can't get all the knives I want, of course, but that's just like everyone else!