Official Sliverax Discussion Thread

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Re: Official Sliverax Discussion Thread

Post by Evil D »

Ok so the truth is Paul paid me off. He bribed me to like his knife designs with rad stickers like this one.

Yeah not really but the sticker is pretty sweet all the same :D
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
pftbahaa

Post by pftbahaa »

Looking good there! Nice place for them.
mb1

Post by mb1 »

Absolutely sweet blade shape on this one Paul! :spyder: :spyder:

I like the way the edge goes all the way to the plunge grind. I'm not a fan of sharpening notches...but I can hear reviewer nitpicks possibly. Will the handle interfere with sharpening all the way to end for folks using guided sharpening systems? Looks like it wouldn't be an issue on stones, or maybe you just have to stay parallel to the plunge grind line?

Nice work man.
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I've wondered about the plunge line/handle situation. I can work around it. I doubt the blade is so thick and the grind is so deep that I can't get to the very end beginning of the edge. We'll see though, since I'll probably reprofile it as soon as I get it.
~David
paulwa

Post by paulwa »

We also tinkered a bit with a sharpening choil:
IMG_0063.JPG
It didn't make it into the production version, though. I hope/think there won't be any issues with sharpening systems if you give the handle a decent rake angle when holding/mounting and potentially clamp the unground area close to the handle top-front. It does work for the Sharpmaker and the way I hold the knife, at least least it did on 1-2 'test' strokes I put on the prototype. Would love to hear tales of more folks' experiences with other systems once it is released... I'm still learning things with each design and tweaking my output accordingly. :)

- Paul
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm glad it doesn't have a sharpening choil. I've added them on some of my knives but basically only a small dip into the edge at the heel of the blade. I like how this knife and the Mantra have edges that come right to the flipper tab, which then also prevents material being cut from slipping off the edge. There's nothing there to snag when cutting.
~David
pftbahaa

Post by pftbahaa »

It's nice to not have to worry about snagging and it just looks a little better in the end. The sharpening choil does have its charm of making the blade uniformly sharp but I don't really know if I'd say it was worth the trade off.
ProbablyMalcolm

Post by ProbablyMalcolm »

I see the merits of both, but typically prefer no choil because the majority of the cutting I do is right in the first inch and a half of blade, and I end up getting snags. I use a sharpmaker, so I doubt I'll have any issues, but only time will tell!

I'm on the fence with the plunge grind. Because the blade is relatively wide at the base and (as far as I can tell) the stock isn't overly thick I think it's going to be a non-factor in actual use. but again, I'll need to actually use it
OutdoorsFamilyMan

Post by OutdoorsFamilyMan »

Is there any idea of when they will be available?
pftbahaa

Post by pftbahaa »

OutdoorsFamilyMan wrote:Is there any idea of when they will be available?
There are no ideas. Only dreams.
paulwa

Post by paulwa »

ProbablyMalcolm wrote:Made an account just to say how excited I am too see this finally popping up on dealer pages.
pftbahaa wrote:Same. Just after Shot Show I had to get into the community. I felt the need to support this design.
Thanks for joining guys, many thanks for the support, and it's an honor to know I helped bring a few more people into the fold. Hopefully, the Sliverax won't disappoint you; but even it it does, I think you'll find this forum a cool place to share your knife enthusiasm.

Unfortunately, I don't have any additional release information to share, but once it drops I'll look for an easy way to get one of these "maker's mark" stickers:
IMG_1177.PNG
in the hands of interested forumites that pick up the Sliverax.

Enjoy your Sunday, I know I already am, it's an absolutely beautiful day here in SE Michigan,
-Paul
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I'd certainly like one of those (white one) for my car. I'm still loving my Ouroboros and will certainly be getting the Sliverax. I got to handle a few other designs of yours at the Oregon Knife show and every single one appealed to me and will probably be a must buy.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
hambone56rx

Post by hambone56rx »

Looking forward to the Sliverax and the sticker is just an added bonus!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugggggggggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhh

Can I get a pulse? Is it still happening or did I dream it?
~David
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Where dat sliverax at? My credit card gets sad when it's not maxed out on spydies... Still got some room...
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
jalcon

Post by jalcon »

Sweet looking design. I do wish it had something other than S30V though, but now I'm just nit picking!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

jalcon wrote:Sweet looking design. I do wish it had something other than S30V though, but now I'm just nit picking!
I would be so happy with M4. I'm sure they have plenty laying around in Taichung.
~David
timlara

Post by timlara »

I am kinda surprised they went with "just" S30V since the Sliverax seems like it would appeal more to enthusiasts than mass market buyers. The Mantras for example went with M4 but still remained pretty reasonably priced. Regardless, I'm hitting refresh on all the dealer sites daily... :D
Tim
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

timlara wrote:I am kinda surprised they went with "just" S30V since the Sliverax seems like it would appeal more to enthusiasts than mass market buyers. The Mantras for example went with M4 but still remained pretty reasonably priced. Regardless, I'm hitting refresh on all the dealer sites daily... :D
I kinda expected it to release by now. Maaaybe we'll get lucky and all the excitement for it has pushed them to give it a better steel. *finger crossed*
~David
lemonslush

Post by lemonslush »

this one will be my next must have. I really like the price point, im getting sick of constantly spending over $200 on every new knife i get.