Official Sliverax Discussion Thread

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Re: Official Sliverax Discussion Thread

Postby Evil D » Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:32 am

toocool006 wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:28 pm
Evil D wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 9:27 am
I finally got around to nubbing the flipper tab down a little bit. It really does help.
Would love to hear a bit about your process and toolkit - are you just using sandpaper? A dremel? What kind of grits? I'm a novice to modding but would to bob the flipper tab just a shade, and figure this is about as good a place to start the modding journey as any.
I used a Dremel with a fine grit sanding barrel to reshape it and then I believe 200 grit sandpaper to blend in the sanding marks with the rest of the tang. I would recommend either taking it apart to do this or tape up the whole knife so just the flipper tab is left showing, otherwise you'll get metal dust inside the pivot.
SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
~David

toocool006

Postby toocool006 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:47 am

Thanks David!
~andrew

Evil D

Postby Evil D » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:54 am

toocool006 wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:47 am
Thanks David!

Just remember, it's easier to remove metal than to put it back. Sand it a little, then put it back together and try it out. I've got mine to where it's just a hair past the point where it no longer protrudes into the lock cutout, because I found my finger still squishes in between the liners when pressing the lock tab, so the flipper tab was still catching my finger.
~David

BDTeacher

Postby BDTeacher » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:54 pm

Just got a Sliverax yesterday and it will be replacing my PM2 as primary edc. So much blade in such a small package.

Sharp Guy

Postby Sharp Guy » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:11 pm

BDTeacher wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:54 pm
Just got a Sliverax yesterday and it will be replacing my PM2 as primary edc. So much blade in such a small package.
I just put mine back in my pocket a few minutes ago. The design really does have a lot going for it. I realize it's not for everyone but I sure like it.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!

Mattysc42

Postby Mattysc42 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:45 pm

I had to drop the tip a couple millimeters to more of a sheepsfoot (by grinding the spine) on my sliverax because it cut me a couple times while closed.

Apparently my ring finger is perfectly sized and shaped to snag the tip when the blade is closed.

After dropping the tip this is easily my favorite knife to fidget with :) . Unlike others, I haven’t had any problems with the flipper tab.
Don’t panic. And never forget to bring a towel.

Top 5 knives I’ve owned: Serrated Caribbean Leaf, Shaman, Manix XL, ZDP-189/CF Caly 3.5, Native LW.
Top 5 steels I’ve owned: LC200N, K390, CPM S90V, M390, CPM M4.
Top 3 steels I want more of: M390 class, A11 class (including K390), serrated LC200N.

hambone56rx

Postby hambone56rx » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:43 pm

BDTeacher wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:54 pm
Absolute truth in both regards. I carry the Sliverax way more than my PM2 or my M2 in CF & Cru-Wear. Hats off to Mr. Alexander for the amazing design!

curlyhairedboy

Postby curlyhairedboy » Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:05 am

I need to pick up another one of these. Loved the one I had, it's such an elegant design.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Shaman, CF S90v Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Lil Native, Sage 5 LW, Ouroboros, 4V Shaman, Watu
Always in Pocket: Hawkbill Dragonfly 2 H1
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Smallfly G10, Squarehead LW, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native
Would like to own again: Sheepsfoot Caribbean
Wishlist: CQI Kapara, Tanto PM2, Shaman Sprints!

dakine

Postby dakine » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:40 am

Is there any future plans to possibly have a front flipper tab on this instead of the original.

paulwa

Postby paulwa » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:32 am

dakine wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:40 am
Is there any future plans to possibly have a front flipper tab on this instead of the original.
Howdy dakine,
I haven’t had any discussions with Spyderco on potential CQI modifications, but I would consider tweaking the shape of the current tab to shorten it a bit (to improve the clearance of the tab as it passes through the lock-bar access cutout). I’d also love to see 3D contouring on the handle scales. But to get to your request, a front flipper just doesn’t package well (or at all) with the Sliverax design and lock mechanism layout.

However, I have made a couple submissions to Spyderco of front-flipper compression-lock designs, but none of those have been officially slated for production... yet. ;)

Thanks to all for the ongoing interest in the Sliverax; the comments and feedback through this forum have been priceless in informing all my knife design decisions,
- Paul

dakine

Postby dakine » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:41 am

Thank you for responding, I understand about the front flipper not going well with design. I've just been on a front flipper kick. Love the design, it's been my goto companion for formal or casual night out attire.

Evil D

Postby Evil D » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:46 am

My experience with two of these knives now and with lots of mods to both tell me that shortening the tab a bit is really all it needs. There will still be those with fingers that are thin enough that they can squeeze in between the liners enough to catch the tab during closing but it's easy enough to avoid with the right finger placement. Unfortunately this is just an issue with this lock and traditional flipper tabs but if the detent is strong enough the tab can be significantly shorter and it will still flip great. As an added bonus it also seems to improve ergonomics when the tab is shorter. If it could be worked out so that the tab is exactly the same shape and size of the handle that seems to be most comfortable to me, the tab can cause a hot spot on your index finger since it curves around.
~David

Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”