Official Sliverax Discussion Thread

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Re: Official Sliverax Discussion Thread

Post by Evil D »

toocool006 wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:28 pm
Evil D wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 9:27 am
I finally got around to nubbing the flipper tab down a little bit. It really does help.
Would love to hear a bit about your process and toolkit - are you just using sandpaper? A dremel? What kind of grits? I'm a novice to modding but would to bob the flipper tab just a shade, and figure this is about as good a place to start the modding journey as any.
I used a Dremel with a fine grit sanding barrel to reshape it and then I believe 200 grit sandpaper to blend in the sanding marks with the rest of the tang. I would recommend either taking it apart to do this or tape up the whole knife so just the flipper tab is left showing, otherwise you'll get metal dust inside the pivot.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
toocool006

Post by toocool006 »

Thanks David!
~andrew
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

toocool006 wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:47 am
Thanks David!

Just remember, it's easier to remove metal than to put it back. Sand it a little, then put it back together and try it out. I've got mine to where it's just a hair past the point where it no longer protrudes into the lock cutout, because I found my finger still squishes in between the liners when pressing the lock tab, so the flipper tab was still catching my finger.
~David
BDTeacher

Post by BDTeacher »

Just got a Sliverax yesterday and it will be replacing my PM2 as primary edc. So much blade in such a small package.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

BDTeacher wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:54 pm
Just got a Sliverax yesterday and it will be replacing my PM2 as primary edc. So much blade in such a small package.
I just put mine back in my pocket a few minutes ago. The design really does have a lot going for it. I realize it's not for everyone but I sure like it.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Mattysc42

Post by Mattysc42 »

I had to drop the tip a couple millimeters to more of a sheepsfoot (by grinding the spine) on my sliverax because it cut me a couple times while closed.

Apparently my ring finger is perfectly sized and shaped to snag the tip when the blade is closed.

After dropping the tip this is easily my favorite knife to fidget with :) . Unlike others, I haven’t had any problems with the flipper tab.
BRING ON THE MANIX XL SPRINTS AND EXCLUSIVES! And 10v or K390ify the Golden lineup, please.

Top 5 folders I’ve owned: Serrated Caribbean Leaf, Shaman, Manix XL, ZDP-189/CF Caly 3.5, Native LW.
Top 5 steels I’ve owned: LC200N, K390, CPM S90V, M390, CPM REX45.
Top 3 steels I want more of: M390 class, A11 class (including K390), CPM REX45.
hambone56rx

Post by hambone56rx »

BDTeacher wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:54 pm
Absolute truth in both regards. I carry the Sliverax way more than my PM2 or my M2 in CF & Cru-Wear. Hats off to Mr. Alexander for the amazing design!
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I need to pick up another one of these. Loved the one I had, it's such an elegant design.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
dakine

Post by dakine »

Is there any future plans to possibly have a front flipper tab on this instead of the original.
paulwa

Post by paulwa »

dakine wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:40 am
Is there any future plans to possibly have a front flipper tab on this instead of the original.
Howdy dakine,
I haven’t had any discussions with Spyderco on potential CQI modifications, but I would consider tweaking the shape of the current tab to shorten it a bit (to improve the clearance of the tab as it passes through the lock-bar access cutout). I’d also love to see 3D contouring on the handle scales. But to get to your request, a front flipper just doesn’t package well (or at all) with the Sliverax design and lock mechanism layout.

However, I have made a couple submissions to Spyderco of front-flipper compression-lock designs, but none of those have been officially slated for production... yet. ;)

Thanks to all for the ongoing interest in the Sliverax; the comments and feedback through this forum have been priceless in informing all my knife design decisions,
- Paul
dakine

Post by dakine »

Thank you for responding, I understand about the front flipper not going well with design. I've just been on a front flipper kick. Love the design, it's been my goto companion for formal or casual night out attire.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

My experience with two of these knives now and with lots of mods to both tell me that shortening the tab a bit is really all it needs. There will still be those with fingers that are thin enough that they can squeeze in between the liners enough to catch the tab during closing but it's easy enough to avoid with the right finger placement. Unfortunately this is just an issue with this lock and traditional flipper tabs but if the detent is strong enough the tab can be significantly shorter and it will still flip great. As an added bonus it also seems to improve ergonomics when the tab is shorter. If it could be worked out so that the tab is exactly the same shape and size of the handle that seems to be most comfortable to me, the tab can cause a hot spot on your index finger since it curves around.
~David
SHoppe715

Post by SHoppe715 »

Dredging up an older thread but hopefully y’all will give me a free pass on that since I just received my very first Spyderco knife in the mail today and it’s a Sliverax - my new EDC - and this is also my first post in this forum.

I wouldn’t call myself a knife enthusiast, but I’ve abided by Gibbs’ rule #9 for pretty much my entire teenage and adult life. For the last few years my EDC has been a composite blade Leek and occasionally a Bugout.

Around this time of year I tend to fall down internet rabbit holes looking for Christmas gifts and when I stumbled across a passing mention to this knife in a link from some random knife steel comparison blog, I clicked the link and it was love at first sight.

Not gonna rehash every other review. I simply love it. I may nibble a little bit off the flipper tab or I might not. I’ll give it few weeks of carrying to decide. It doesn’t seem to be a clearance issue for me with the way I poke my finger into the lock cutout so maybe if it do shave it down a bit it’ll just be for the aesthetics of a smaller pocket pecker. I carried a Gator for many years starting in high school twentycoughcough years ago when I was a camp counselor, so the fling open technique is still muscle memory and works great with this knife….but now with just the slightest push on a flipper tab I can use a much more civilized wrist motion if you get what I’m saying.

Sooooo…I’m curious what’s up with this knife in recent news. I read this whole thread and it was loads of excitement until it just abruptly stopped about 3 years ago. I can say this knife wasn’t the easiest to find in stock, but it wasn’t like hunting a unicorn either. Has it been a big seller or an oddball? Is there any potential for sprint runs as discussed back in the release days? What’s the latest?
Nate

Post by Nate »

Welcome to the forum!

Still have my Sliverax and love the overall design.

I think you don’t hear much about it anymore for a few reasons:

-Early issues with the weak detent put people off. My example can easily be operated as a gravity knife, which may present legal issues in some areas. Plus no one wants a knife unexpectedly opening in their pocket.

-The handle design highly favors a specific grip. I think the handle shape and negative blade angle make the Sliverax an excellent cutting tool, but it is perhaps less of a general-use edc design like a Delica, etc.

-It’s a larger blade than many folks typically carry. Basically a Military-sized blade in a smaller package. It’s super cool to me that the cutting edge on the Sliverax is technically longer than the blade, but again, maybe not for everyone.

Then you have secondary things like the flipper tab quibbles and perhaps flippers already waning in popularity somewhat by the time it was released. (All just IMO.)

It’s all a bit of a shame really. A Sliverax in SE would be absolutely ferocious, but doubt we’ll ever see one.
:spyder:
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I think the Sliverax is a great design and carry mine often. A friend handled mine and also bought one. I think it's his favorite Spyderco model.

I increased the detent on mine and it's much improved. The size of the flipper tab isn't really an issue for me since the angle of the clip makes it sit in the pocket so you can get your hand past without the tab interfering.

I've also been surprised the Sliverax hasn't been more popular. I'd love to see a sprint run or dealer exclusive
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

I handled a friend's Sliverax a few years ago. While I found the knife okay, I wasn't blown away by it, and so I didn't consider getting one until last month.

Now that I have gotten to use it more, I am amazed why I waited this long to acquire it.
sliverax 01.jpg
DrHE

Post by DrHE »

My wife has a Sliverax as she loves flippers and comp locks and thus fit her need 100% perfectly. Bar none is just an awesome knife as is imo. Literally it is so comfortable I have debated a second for me. I have the Amalgam and the Tropen flippers which both cannot be easily flipped closed (without the tab hitting) until you practice a lot. The Sliverax has no such issue for me opens and closes easily so it’s very good as a fidget knife.
M.N.O.S.D. 0031
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

The Sliverax and the Ouroboros had some production and material issues that kept me from biting. But the designs were absolutely solid. I think Paul A. knocked it out of the park with both. If there had been a G-10 K390, Hap40/Rex45, S90V, etc. Ouroboros with phosphor bronze washers, I'd have been all over it. Same with the Sliverax even if it sounds like a Dr Seuss character.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The only reason I don't carry one today is because of my preference for serrations, but as Nate said if this knife ever got SE it would be a monster with the negative blade angle.
~David
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I need to nab another one of these and CAD up some different scales. Something more contoured would only enhance the ergonomics...
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!