Official Sliverax Discussion Thread

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Strider

Re: Official Sliverax Discussion Thread

Post by Strider »

Got mine in the mail today. I get it now.
paulwa

Post by paulwa »

Strider wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:53 pm
Howdy Strider,
Glad you got it, and you get it :)

Please share your thoughts once you’ve been able to put some miles on her,
- Paul
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

This knife has been my EDC for almost 6 months now and it's a really great design Paul. My favorite of yours
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
spy4life

Post by spy4life »

My go to EDC now days.
Paul - sorry if I offended you anyway with changing your original design. Was inspired by other thread that’s all :)
https://flic.kr/p/24h2ydf
~spy4life~

Collections: GB1, GB2, Dice, Urban-K390, Positron-S35VN, Sliverax, Southard brown&blk, CS Native 5 S90V, KW Military S90V Carbon/Ti
Strider

Post by Strider »

paulwa wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:17 pm
Strider wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:53 pm
Howdy Strider,
Glad you got it, and you get it :)

Please share your thoughts once you’ve been able to put some miles on her,
- Paul
My most carried knives are the Caly 3/3.5 I was pleased to find that (other than the bottom of the blades) the sliverax and caly 3.5 have the same blade shape. Was that intentional? In my opinion, great inspiration if it was.
Strider

Post by Strider »

Seeing how a lot of people got rid of the flipper tab, I did not have high expectations. However, the action on mine is great! Right up there with my ZTs which is surprising because the Sliverax blade feels significantly light. Therefore, I no longer plan to remove mine.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Strider wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:10 pm
Seeing how a lot of people got rid of the flipper tab, I did not have high expectations. However, the action on mine is great! Right up there with my ZTs which is surprising because the Sliverax blade feels significantly light. Therefore, I no longer plan to remove mine.

To be fair, since I was the first to do so, I have to say I carry the one Paul gifted me that still has the flipper tab far more than I do the one I modded. Opening up the lock cutout made a big difference, and I think I'm still going to grind down the tab just a little but so it doesn't extend out into the lock cutout at all just to ensure it doesn't hit your finger. With that issue out of the way I don't mind having the flipper at all since you don't HAVE to use it.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Strider

Post by Strider »

Mine fires open just fine any way I try it. Can you share a picture of how much you opened up the lock?
Volk

Post by Volk »

Hello everyone! First post here after at least a couple of years of lurking and learning about knives. Thank you all for contributing to this great community.

Last week I received my Sliverax, which became my 11th Spyderco knife and my favorite of the collection.
I don't think I have much more to add to what has already been said here, the Sliverax is an incredibly clever design and the one I received is absolutely flawless. S30V is one of my favourite steels, the blade shape is perfectly engineered and the scales feel and look great. The action, for what it's worth, is the best I have ever found on any folding knife.

After reading some reports I did have some concerns about the detent, but there is absolutely no problem with mine - it's fun to open the Sliverax with the flipper tab, with my thumb, with a spydiedrop, spydieflick, I may even try with my toes next.
I had none of the problems some users reported, and I truly believe this is a "solid freaking gem", as Mr. Shabazz would say.

Thanks to Evil D for unknowingly convincing me to pull the trigger on the Sliverax ;) thanks to Spyderco and to Mr. Paul Alexander for creating this truly great product.
By the way, I work in the Automotive industry as well, it may sound strange but because of this I feel a little bit more connected to this knife than I do to others. Unlike Paul, though, there are no patents to my name, yet - we'll see how it goes with my toe opening system*.

See you around!

*Don't try it at home. Patent pending.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Volk wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:16 pm

Thanks to Evil D for unknowingly convincing me to pull the trigger on the Sliverax ;)
I know I probably sound like a fanboy when I praise this knife but I really don't hand out praise very freely. I accept that my taste likely differs from others and that my tastes are pretty specific but aside from those exceptions I have to say if I say it's good you can take it to the bank lol.
~David
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

We believe you.
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

You convinced me to pick up the silverax and spydiechef.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
brumledb

Post by brumledb »

When reassembling, is there a right way and wrong way for the bearings to be installed? Both sides look the same to me.
paulwa

Post by paulwa »

brumledb wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:10 am
When reassembling, is there a right way and wrong way for the bearings to be installed? Both sides look the same to me.
I’ve disassembled and reassembled mine a few times, not paying attention to the bearing orientation... it has never made a difference in my experience.

Enjoy the knife,
- Paul
brumledb

Post by brumledb »

paulwa wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:38 pm
I’ve disassembled and reassembled mine a few times, not paying attention to the bearing orientation... it has never made a difference in my experience.
Enjoy the knife,
- Paul

Thanks for the reply. This knife is quickly becoming one of my favorites, great design.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I finally got around to nubbing the flipper tab down a little bit. It really does help. This probably should be a little CQI move on this knife, as it's very simple to implement and it really does make closing the knife more enjoyable. I'm still able to get my finger mashed into the lock far enough to catch the tab if I try but after sitting here fiddling with it trying to use "second nature movements" I haven't felt the tab hit my finger at all. I only took maybe 1/16th of an inch off the tab and it still flips just fine. I still need to do a little work on the finish to make it look better but it works pretty well. Between this and the wider lock cutout there's little chance my finger will catch the tab now.

~David
elduderino04

Post by elduderino04 »

Great work, I've been meaning to try that. Do you notice any difference in the flipping action from the slightly different geometry?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

elduderino04 wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 10:36 am
Great work, I've been meaning to try that. Do you notice any difference in the flipping action from the slightly different geometry?

Not at all, not with button press method or light switch method. The action is great.
~David
BDTeacher

Post by BDTeacher »

I have been eyeing this one for a while. Time to pull the trigger I think.
toocool006

Post by toocool006 »

Evil D wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 9:27 am
I finally got around to nubbing the flipper tab down a little bit. It really does help.
Would love to hear a bit about your process and toolkit - are you just using sandpaper? A dremel? What kind of grits? I'm a novice to modding but would to bob the flipper tab just a shade, and figure this is about as good a place to start the modding journey as any.
~andrew