Official Sliverax Discussion Thread

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Re: Official Sliverax Discussion Thread

Post by Evil D »

It makes zero sense to have a lanyard hole below a clip anyway. However, a clip design that incorporates the lanyard hole in it would be cool, but I don't believe you can do that with the wire clip unless you use the old style barrel screw clips like the original D'Allara used. It wouldn't be quite as elegant though and would probably just look like crap on this knife.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

I keep a lanyard slipped onto the wire clip on my Chaparral and find it a handy attachment. It stays out of the way pretty well and I can easily slip it off the clip if it does get in the way when using the knife, although I find I rarely need to do that. I did find the lanyard has to be kept light in weight though as it can slip off clipped to a pocket if too much weight, ( jade stone beads in my case), is added to the lanyard.
Certainly a lanyard hole would be a better alternative but slipped over the wire clip works.

Dave
joq21

Post by joq21 »

Any information on when these will ship? I preordered one. Which I hate doing but I really love the look of this knife.
joq21

Post by joq21 »

Created an account just to inquire about this knife... I have this and a boos smoke I am waiting on to ship and I am getting restless.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

joq21 wrote:Created an account just to inquire about this knife... I have this and a boos smoke I am waiting on to ship and I am getting restless.
Everything we know is right here in this thread.
~David
joq21

Post by joq21 »

Evil D wrote:
Cool thanks. I didn't realize the last post was just on the 4th of this month, or I could have connected the dots better and realized that everyone is in the same boat. I had been wondering if they had started shipping to those who made an order earlier than I... Guess not.
Last edited by joq21 on Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

joq21 wrote:
Evil D wrote:
Cool thanks. I didn't realize the last post was just on the 4th of this month, or I could have connected the dots better than everyone is in the same boat. I have been wondering if they have started shipping to those who made an order earlier than I.
I'm as on top of this as anyone can be, I'm practically foaming at the mouth over it. I haven't heard or seen anything confirming that anyone has received them yet.
~David
joq21

Post by joq21 »

Wow Evil D you have been stocking this for many months more than I. I am sorry you must be going crazy. Does spyderco ever chime in on these threads and provide some answers?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

joq21 wrote:Wow Evil D you have been stocking this for many months more than I. I am sorry you must be going crazy. Does spyderco ever chime in on these threads and provide some answers?

Occasionally but releases aren't an exact science so they can't give us much more than "it'll be ready when it's ready". They have a bunch of new releases coming out right now and they all have to make it through quality control before being shipped and they can only CQ so many at a time. Some of them may well be ready but are waiting in line for CQ to approve them for sale. I also suspect that the bearing issues were addressed on this knife and they're being extra thorough before giving them the green light. Hopefully we see a nice healthy release with no pivot issues. I would love to see a sprint run of this model someday and that will likely be decided on how successful it is.
~David
gearedupdad

Post by gearedupdad »

Just jumping in to follow this thread. Absolutely love my Ouroboros (though it has the "Shabazz bronze washer mod") and am stoked to check out the Sliverax when it makes it to market. The combination of my favorite locking mechanism with a flipper AND a spydie-hole looks like an absolute winner.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

gearedupdad wrote:Just jumping in to follow this thread. Absolutely love my Ouroboros (though it has the "Shabazz bronze washer mod") and am stoked to check out the Sliverax when it makes it to market. The combination of my favorite locking mechanism with a flipper AND a spydie-hole looks like an absolute winner.

Exactly. I love the options, same as with the Mantra knives. Flipping aside I like how the flipper tab also doubles as a guard when open. I'd want it there even if I only ever used the thumb hole to open.
~David
Mikael Andersson

Post by Mikael Andersson »

paulwa wrote:
Mikael Andersson wrote:I'm quoting myself here so read and improve upon your design dear knife designer.
Howdy Mikael,
Knife design is a balance of a lot of factors, and for this design I think we managed pretty well. A clip mount cannot be tucked as deeply into the handle end as a lanyard hole for lots of packaging reasons, and I'm not a huge fan of lanyards that sprout out of handles overly far up the spine. So... taking all these things into account, I'm pretty happy with how this collaboration has turned out, sorry if it disappoints on your end.

- Paul
I'm guessing that removing the lanyard hole altogether is not an option?

But adding a finger choil to the blade would be an improvement on the design as would removing the unnecessary hole in the knife blade.
Last edited by Mikael Andersson on Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I just noticed Knife Center has "expected September 2017" under where it says Preorder on their site. The wait may soon be over.
~David
Kurniadion

Post by Kurniadion »

paulwa wrote:
Mikael Andersson wrote:I'm quoting myself here so read and improve upon your design dear knife designer.
Howdy Mikael,
Knife design is a balance of a lot of factors, and for this design I think we managed pretty well. A clip mount cannot be tucked as deeply into the handle end as a lanyard hole for lots of packaging reasons, and I'm not a huge fan of lanyards that sprout out of handles overly far up the spine. So... taking all these things into account, I'm pretty happy with how this collaboration has turned out, sorry if it disappoints on your end.

- Paul
I think the design is amazing indeed Paul. Very well executed with elegant curves that tucked in nicely when closed and quite symetrical when opened. Well done Sir!

I do like choils and that is probably the only reason I feel delica/ endura is imperfect BUT IMHO a choil will ruin the beautiful sliverax design of yours. Not every knife need a choil like someone else had chimed. I dont want choil on any of the Slysz's design knives. They just work for me, like this sliverax. Well it doesnt matter at this point anyways since they are probably finishing the first batch by now. :D

I do wonder if we can expect a 3-inch version of sliverax coming out sometime in the future?Although its relatively friendly when closed, when opened this size of knife may alert some people. Or if you have a design to fit in between the ouroboros and the sliverax?
paulwa

Post by paulwa »

The end is nigh!

Finally some real news. I should have my production sample in hand tomorrow, and it sounds like the bulk of the 1st production run will go out at about the same time...

The Sliverax should officially drop in days.

Enjoy everyone, and thanks for the support and patience, and many thanks to the Spyderco crew for pulling this together.

And please post thoughs/impressions/pics/etc. here,
- Paul
elena86

Post by elena86 »

paulwa wrote:The end is nigh!

Finally some real news. I should have my production sample in hand tomorrow, and it sounds like the bulk of the 1st production run will go out at about the same time...

The Sliverax should officially drop in days.

Enjoy everyone, and thanks for the support and patience, and many thanks to the Spyderco crew for pulling this together.

And please post thoughs/impressions/pics/etc. here,
- Paul
Great news.I can't wait to snatch one.I have great expectations from this design.

Marius
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Woohoo!
~David
loremipsum

Post by loremipsum »

MY BODY IS READY

But guess it would be at least next week before the retailers have it.
dolor sit amet
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Ready for this one! Thanks for the news, Paul!
-Nick :bug-red