Official Sliverax Discussion Thread

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Re: Official Sliverax Discussion Thread

Post by Evil D »

Mikael Andersson wrote:
Mikael Andersson wrote:Is this a flipper? Wow.. a flipper from Spyderco that doesn't cost $250+... the world has gone crazy. :p
I looked at the knife and I see a need for improvements... the lanyard hole should be relocated and the pocket clip repositioned for better and deeper carry and there also needs to be a finger choil enabling you to choke up on the knife.

Or.....get this....are you sitting down?......maybe....JUST MAYBE.....this isn't the knife for you. Not every knife needs a choil, not every knife needs to be carried so deep you can't even see it. That's why Spyderco have like 200 models to choose from, otherwise what's the point of having different models if they all have the same features?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Mikael Andersson

Post by Mikael Andersson »

Evil D wrote:
Mikael Andersson wrote:
Mikael Andersson wrote:Is this a flipper? Wow.. a flipper from Spyderco that doesn't cost $250+... the world has gone crazy. :p
I looked at the knife and I see a need for improvements... the lanyard hole should be relocated and the pocket clip repositioned for better and deeper carry and there also needs to be a finger choil enabling you to choke up on the knife.

Or.....get this....are you sitting down?......maybe....JUST MAYBE.....this isn't the knife for you. Not every knife needs a choil, not every knife needs to be carried so deep you can't even see it. That's why Spyderco have like 200 models to choose from, otherwise what's the point of having different models if they all have the same features?
I will keep my money then.
Last edited by Mikael Andersson on Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mikael Andersson

And S30V is not anything interesting for me these days anyway.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Whatever floats your boat, so long as I'm not on it when it sinks :)
~David
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Shocking, David. All this time I thought every knife had to be everything to everyone. Live and learn.
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

cabfrank wrote:Shocking, David. All this time I thought every knife had to be everything to everyone. Live and learn.
I am relatively safe. I don't have enough Spydies to sink my boat ...... yet.
A work in progress though. :D

Dave
Mikael Andersson

Evil D wrote:
Mikael Andersson wrote:

Twohundred models and the only ones interesting to me are the Paramilitary, the Manix and the Dragonfly and I sold the Paramilitary to a frenchman.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Mikael Andersson wrote:
Twohundred models and the only ones interesting to me are the Paramilitary, the Manix and the Dragonfly and I sold the Paramilitary to a frenchman.
The French love the Paramilitary! :rolleyes:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Mikael Andersson

Bloke wrote:
Mikael Andersson wrote:
The French love the Paramilitary! :rolleyes:
And the bogans too?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Mikael Andersson wrote:
Evil D wrote:
Mikael Andersson wrote:

That really is a bummer man. Maybe Benchmade has a forum you can post asinine threads and comments on?
~David
blueblur

Post by blueblur »

This design initially didn't "vibe" with me but after reading a little more about it and flipping through the mid year catalog I've really warmed up to the design. It's really very interesting and different from most other designs. I'm curious to see how that deep choil feels and the blade shape and size look great. It looks like it will carry well too being its so slender folded. Anxiously waiting :)
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

My concern with the design has to do with the deep finger groove. Hard to tell from pics obviously, but I wonder if my index finger knuckle would bang into the front of the handle or flipper tab. If so, it would force the hand further back on the handle.
So I'm looking forward to seeing some reviews on the ergos.
paulwa

Post by paulwa »

ABX2011 wrote:My concern with the design has to do with the deep finger groove. Hard to tell from pics obviously, but I wonder if my index finger knuckle would bang into the front of the handle or flipper tab.
Howdy ABX2011,
As with all knife designs, ergos are a pretty personal area, so don't take my comments as gospel for your hand size and finger width. The Sliverax prototypes all worked really really well for my hands (large-side of medium, but with fairly thin fingers) in a saber grip (which is the primary grip it was designed for). Here, the handle rests on the meat between the middle knuckle and last knuckle, and the guard is deep enough to accommodate most any size finger. If you have thick fingers, and want to go with a throttling sort of hammer grip, the thin handle of the design sort of dictates that the flipper will rest inside the middle knuckle, towards the base of the index finger; and I can see how some users may experience some contact on that middle knuckle. The Spyderco team rounded all the edges of the flipper tab (mostly for comfort when articulating the flipper), so there shouldn't be any really sharp points, but a few individuals could still feel a hot-spot.
Hopefully that explanation was coherent enough to understand... talking about ergos is harder than designing around them. As always, checking a new knife out at a brick and mortar store is best, if you have the option. Even the reviewers can be a bit sketchy with an atypical design and how they want to grip it; I saw more than a couple videos on the Ouroboros (my other design) where the reviewer refused to hold it in the more relaxed, pistol-like grip it was designed for, and it ended up being sort of like reviewing the performance and feel of a hammer if you held it in a saber grip.
Bottom line: Nothing related to ergos can be said with 100% certainty for all, but I think you'll be able to get some good feedback here on this forum when the Sliverax eventually drops.

Take care,
- Paul
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Paul I really appreciate your constant involvement and interaction with everyone about your knifes. It really helps when designers make themselves available for questions and such.
~David
paulwa

Post by paulwa »

Evil D wrote:Paul I really appreciate your constant involvement and interaction with everyone about your knifes. It really helps when designers make themselves available for questions and such.
It's my pleasure David, I end up learning a lot from the interactions I have on this forum. I've got more than a few designs and at least one submission that were somewhat rooted or inspired by the discussions here, so it's definitely a two way street.

So, keep 'me coming, and I'll do my best to address everything as well as I can,
- Paul
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Thanks Paul, that explanation was very helpful.
Mikael Andersson

Evil D wrote:
Mikael Andersson wrote:
Evil D wrote:
Mikael Andersson wrote:

That really is a bummer man. Maybe Benchmade has a forum you can post asinine threads and comments on?
All critique are asinine to the fanboi so yes.
Last edited by Mikael Andersson on Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mikael Andersson

Mikael Andersson wrote:
I'm quoting myself here so read and improve upon your design dear knife designer.
mattman

Post by mattman »

Mikael Andersson wrote:
Mikael Andersson wrote:
I'm quoting myself here so read and improve upon your design dear knife designer.
Why don't you just settle down until:
A: you have the knife in your hand
B: You present your completed design here for critique

Otherwise, you are talking just to hear yourself talk...
paulwa

Post by paulwa »

Mikael Andersson wrote:I'm quoting myself here so read and improve upon your design dear knife designer.
Howdy Mikael,
Knife design is a balance of a lot of factors, and for this design I think we managed pretty well. A clip mount cannot be tucked as deeply into the handle end as a lanyard hole for lots of packaging reasons, and I'm not a huge fan of lanyards that sprout out of handles overly far up the spine. So... taking all these things into account, I'm pretty happy with how this collaboration has turned out, sorry if it disappoints on your end.

- Paul