Official Sliverax Discussion Thread

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sal

Re: Official Sliverax Discussion Thread

Post by sal »

Welcome to all of the new members. Thanx Paul for your effort in this thread. I understand they are on the way to us. Still need to go through QC,

sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Woohoo good things to those who (have no choice but to) wait :D
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I just came across this, while reading my new mid-year product guide. I love this design. It is going to the must have list.
paulwa

Post by paulwa »

sal wrote:Welcome to all of the new members. Thanx Paul for your effort in this thread. I understand they are on the way to us. Still need to go through QC,

sal
Great to hear they're on the home stretch. Thanks for the update and encouragement, Sal!

If everything checks out, it shouldn't br to much longer folks...

- Paul
Rhix

Post by Rhix »

Every time I get a new Spyderco I tell myself that will be the last one for awhile, but the next one always comes soon thereafter. I just got my first PM2, which I love, and then the mid year product guide hit the mailbox and there it is. I love the design of the Sliverax, the compression lock is my new favorite, don't own anything in carbon fiber or a flipper, so it's absolutely a must have. Thanks to Paul for the design and Sal and the entire crew for what you do. I can't wait.
Robert
timlara

Post by timlara »

Rhix wrote:Every time I get a new Spyderco I tell myself that will be the last one for awhile, but the next one always comes soon thereafter. I just got my first PM2, which I love, and then the mid year product guide hit the mailbox and there it is. I love the design of the Sliverax, the compression lock is my new favorite, don't own anything in carbon fiber or a flipper, so it's absolutely a must have. Thanks to Paul for the design and Sal and the entire crew for what you do. I can't wait.
Robert
Welcome, Robert! And I think most of us here know exactly what you mean...At least I have told myself this same thing over and over. Oh well, Sal & Co gotta eat, right? :D
Tim
Rhix

Post by Rhix »

Thanks Tim. Yeah I'm sure there's a bunch of us who go through that cycle of new knife, I can wait, no I can't, new knife. I've already decided the Sliverax will be the last one for a while, but dang that PM2 I just got is so awesome and I really need one in S110V. Oh well, Sal and Co gotta eat.
:spyder:
Robert
pftbahaa

Post by pftbahaa »

This was a pleasant surprise. Popped on the forum to check if any news was to be had and now the knives are on the move!? Sweet!
Cali HogHead

Post by Cali HogHead »

Created an account just to post my excitement for this knife.

Recently purchased a Military with M4 after remembering a large serrated Spyderco I had as a younger man. What great knives Spydies are! Also picked up a Squarehead Folder, but it's this Sliverax that really has me excited.
paulwa

Post by paulwa »

Cali HogHead wrote:Created an account just to post my excitement for this knife.
Howdy HogHead, glad to have you aboard. From Sal's comment a few posts back, it shouldn't be much longer on the Sliverax if the quality checks out.
Spyderco's got a lot of intriguing and exciting projects in the works form what I've heard and seen, so it's a great time to get active here on the forum.

- Paul
Cali HogHead

Post by Cali HogHead »

paulwa wrote:
Cali HogHead wrote:Created an account just to post my excitement for this knife.
Howdy HogHead, glad to have you aboard. From Sal's comment a few posts back, it shouldn't be much longer on the Sliverax if the quality checks out.
Spyderco's got a lot of intriguing and exciting projects in the works form what I've heard and seen, so it's a great time to get active here on the forum.

- Paul
Thanks Paul. This is also my first Pre-order of a knife, so after reading Sal's comment above, my anxiety is even higher! It very much does seem like a good time to be active here.
ProbablyMalcolm

Post by ProbablyMalcolm »

Think we'll be looking at a third quarter release? I'd imagine QC'ing a full release knife from out of the country might take a bit.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Well we're creeping up on a month since Sal mentioned CQ, who knows how long that takes and then they need shipped to distributors. I figured some time in September.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
dodgie02

Post by dodgie02 »

[quote="Rhix"]Thanks Tim. Yeah I'm sure there's a bunch of us who go through that cycle of new knife, I can wait, no I can't, new knife. I've already decided the Sliverax will be the last one for a while, but dang that PM2 I just got is so awesome and I really need one in S110V. Oh well, Sal and Co gotta eat.[/quote]

And I need another one in all black, because my s110v one is a beast of a workhorse, my cruwear sprint is too beautiful to use, and I was checking out things like the chaparral, sage 5, millies and pm2s.. (got much manix versions and a native 5) however.. Save up for a S110V one. I've had mine for a year and it got abused like ****. Dropped on stone, metal, left in the rain, till with residue of all thing's varying from chocolate (don't ask) to God knows what. Quick rinse, little quick freehand sharpening and it's good to go like the day it arrived. Once you get used to s110v it becomes the best "zero worries" steel I have handled. I can imagine it out living me :p (don't worry though, I'll keep buying other spydies but in all honesty it's all I need along with the manix 2 lw s110v.

Got a sprint cruwear pm3-ney, para 3 excuse me- on preorder, but I have been staring at this sliverax over and over. I might just cancel that Para3 because truth be told I don't think I like it especially compared to the pm2, but can't judge beforehand I've learned rather get another pm2 then or.. Contemplating canceling the preorder and get some sliverax in the house. It looks great, bladeshape, folded and open, I'm happy to see spyderco taking on these alternative designs, ways of deployment and general collaboration with the right creative Knifenuts. Would have rather seen xhp or S35v as entry level steel (I'd easily pay the premium for an m4 version though, or cruwear but that's gonna be up to the sprints I reckon. S110v regular production would be super too.
Anyway, paul was it? (I'm on cell, excuse me for not checking beforehand) great design, count me in as another copy sold. I own mostly pm2s sprint and otherwise, manix 2s, native 5.. But I'm still looking for that blade which has a bit of best of both worlds between the above and can actually pull it off. Fine addition to spyderco's collection & my collection. I hope it sells properly, however please stop after this. My wallet will be lighter then toilet paper soon ;)
paulwa

Post by paulwa »

dodgie02 wrote: however please stop after this. My wallet will be lighter then toilet paper soon ;)
No plans on stopping from my end dodgie, my apologies to your wallet.
...maybe downgrading to single-ply would at least put it back in the lead. :D

Cheers,
- Paul
dodgie02

Post by dodgie02 »

paulwa wrote:
dodgie02 wrote: however please stop after this. My wallet will be lighter then toilet paper soon ;)
No plans on stopping from my end dodgie, my apologies to your wallet.
...maybe downgrading to single-ply would at least put it back in the lead. :D

Cheers,
- Paul
Can't argue with that, sacrifices must be made and priorities are priorities! At least I'll have something fun to flick open and close instead of reading the latest ikea catalogue ;) After all the other spydies and the I smoothness of the compression lock in particular I became more and more interested in flippers but I'm no fan of zero tolerance ones, not in ergos or blade shapes. In comes Paul with
.. It is paired with a lightweight, open-backed handle built with carbon fiber/G10 laminate scales and nested stainless steel liners. The liners form the foundation of Spyderco’s patented Compression Lock mechanism, which offers superior strength and ease of operation.

Well.. Snap. I've yet to hold it but the ergos seem great, and like i said the blade is just what I was looking for in a mix between a pm2 and a manix 2 which I both adore, I think this might be my new go to blade, especially after reading the way it was constructed. Compression flipper with liners and an open back, complimented with a wicked blade shape complimenting the whole design closed and open. It seems to be made with my wishes in mind. I think, forgive my enthusiasm (you know how it is when you contract the knife fever), you have really outdone yourself on this one.

That aside, I'm quite interested in how you came to be designing knives. I imagine having your work accepted and being realized by spyderco no less must be a dream come true!

Thanks for your reply, I'm canceling the Para 3 preorder and exchanging it for the spydie sliverax right now :D

Cheers,

Nick
pftbahaa

Post by pftbahaa »

The wait is so painful the closer we are. Does anyone know a good therapist?
Mikael Andersson

Post by Mikael Andersson »

Is this a flipper? Wow.. a flipper from Spyderco that doesn't cost $250+... the world has gone crazy. :p
Mikael Andersson

Post by Mikael Andersson »

Mikael Andersson wrote:Is this a flipper? Wow.. a flipper from Spyderco that doesn't cost $250+... the world has gone crazy. :p
I looked at the knife and I see a need for improvements... the lanyard hole should be relocated and the pocket clip repositioned for better and deeper carry and there also needs to be a finger choil enabling you to choke up on the knife.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Mikael Andersson wrote:Is this a flipper? Wow.. a flipper from Spyderco that doesn't cost $250+... the world has gone crazy. :p
Most of them are sub $250 at MAP.

And at about $150 MAP, the Sliverax is that much more appealing to me! :spyder:
-Nick :bug-red