Official Sliverax Discussion Thread

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
pftbahaa

Re: Official Sliverax Discussion Thread

Post by pftbahaa »

paulwa wrote:...I'm not 100% certain, but since it has stainless liners, there would be no need for the washers used on Ti framed bearing knives, which means it may be destined for production sooner rather than later because a redesign was not needed. [...]

Thanks everyone,
- Paul
I just threw my arms into the air and screamed like a giddy school girl. I have no shame in this.
Evil D wrote:Oh I definitely can't wait for a sprint so I'll be on board with the standard release. Paul buddy I swear you and I share a brain because I'm all in for your sprint ideas. I would LOVE to see this in M4 and natural linen micarta, and the more contouring the better.
Same here! You've got another sold already right here!
timlara

Post by timlara »

Ha! That's hilarious regarding the name, Paul. Sadly, Spydercos are very much adult Pokemon for me. :D
Tim
Tyrdle

Post by Tyrdle »

http://imgur.com/BmgBU6D
Sorry I was late with comparison pics to my mockup. I'll post nicer pics tomorrow morning also. Anyway, I compared it to the pm2, delica, mamba and positron. I'll do some in hand pictures tomorrow.
:spyder: Turtles can have knives too, right? :spyder:
Aus-8 Delica 1 ATS-55 Endura UK Penknife
Positron Mamba Blurple PM2
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Tyrdle wrote:http://imgur.com/BmgBU6D
Sorry I was late with comparison pics to my mockup. I'll post nicer pics tomorrow morning also. Anyway, I compared it to the pm2, delica, mamba and positron. I'll do some in hand pictures tomorrow.
That's really cool. It looks like such an efficient use of space. So much blade in a very reasonable size.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
cangokaw

Post by cangokaw »

looks like my next purchase. nice size and ergos.
Tyrdle

Post by Tyrdle »

Evil D wrote:
That's really cool. It looks like such an efficient use of space. So much blade in a very reasonable size.
In hand, it feels like a larger knife than the pm2. The blade has a downward angle in hand which I like a lot. For ~150$ this is a steal.
cangokaw

Post by cangokaw »

like the idea of downward blade angle, any idea of release date?
Tyrdle

Post by Tyrdle »

AwayFromMySpydieHole wrote:
Tyrdle wrote:I'm pretty excited about the Sliverax. I cut out the image of it in the catalog and turned that into a 3D model. Then I scaled that into the actual size of the knife according to the catalog and 3D printed it. It feels great in hand! I want it even more now. It gave me a comparison to other knives I have. If anyone wants comparison pics ask me!

Now *that* is what I call being excited about a knife. Haha.
I don't think it's that crazy. It took me maybe 15 minutes of work to model then about an hour and a half to 3D print.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Seems like a good way to make trainers for those who want them.
~David
pftbahaa

Post by pftbahaa »

It took me a few minutes to see the printed one among the others.
"I don't s- Oh! The majestic, all-blue sore thumb poking out right in the middle!! You won't fool me!"
Something like that.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

If you're bored I would love to see it with a marker line showing where the handle ends at the blade (an best as you can estimate) and take another pic that's straight down instead of at an angle so the angle doesn't give the blade length any perspective. The Delica and P2 look way shorter than I believe they are.
~David
Tyrdle

Post by Tyrdle »

Here's a nicer comparison pic: Image Sorry I never made an in-hand picture, but I doubt my hand would be much of a reference at all to anyone else here's hands.
Evil D wrote:That's really cool. It looks like such an efficient use of space. So much blade in a very reasonable size.
I agree. It is a quarter inch shorter than the pm2, but it has half an inch more cutting edge.
Evil D wrote:Seems like a good way to make trainers for those who want them.
I have made so far the Yo2, Introvert, Positron and a ZT 0460. Here's some proof of the accuracy of the mockups: Image
Evil D wrote:If you're bored I would love to see it with a marker line showing where the handle ends at the blade (an best as you can estimate) and take another pic that's straight down instead of at an angle so the angle doesn't give the blade length any perspective. The Delica and P2 look way shorter than I believe they are.
Lucky you, I am bored! I don't think the delica and pm2 are smaller than they should be, I think the sliverax is larger than you think it is. Here is is with a (rough) estimation of the handle ending and the plunge line, taken from straight above. ImageHope these help!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

That is excellent. Endura cutting edge in a Delica sized handle (almost). Just brilliant.
~David
Nate

Post by Nate »

So much want. I have funds on standby for a Sliver(ax) when they drop.
:spyder:
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Thanks tyrdle great work
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

If ergos are similar to the Delica I will be very interested.
hoimin

Post by hoimin »

paulwa wrote:So with that sort of fevered thinking going on in my mind, when I say "Sliverax" to myself, I see something akin to what could be efficiently described as a "knife-type Pokémon", and that makes me smile... so, I guess that means I actually quite like the new name, even if it's a bit odd on the first take.
This is the best, because when I first heard of the new name, a shiny Haxorus came immediately to mind (I keep reading the Sliver as silver).
pftbahaa

Post by pftbahaa »

Nate wrote:So much want. I have funds on standby for a Sliver(ax) when they drop.
Same here. I've been waiting since the shot show videos started coming out. It's been a long 5 months.
hambone56rx

Post by hambone56rx »

Paul,

I'm very excited about this design, especially when I saw that you mentioned that it will run on bearings! A Spyderco with carbon fiber handles, that runs on bearings, that you can deploy by flipping, slow-opening with the thumb stub, the spydie flick, a traditional thumb flick or flinging the compression lock! What else could you want????

Well I have thought of one thing... a very deep carry. I noticed this shares the same pocket clip and lanyard hole design as your Ouroboros. Would you care to explain your rationale? Considering the light weight, sleek lines and the Spyderco Deep Carry pocket clip, I would envision being able to be used a gentlemen's folder. I noticed where the blade thickness is 0.142" compared to the 0.118" in the sage 5, so it's a little thicker and maybe a harder use knife. I feel if this had the same deep carry as the Caly 3.5", it would be absolutely perfect for my taste. Even if it had the same carry as the Sage 5, that would be an improvement. But this is just my humble opinion, I'm not sure how the other forum members feel.

Question for Paul,

What was your thought process behind the positioning of the lanyard hole above the pocket clip and a higher ride, compared to giving it a deeper ride like the Sage 5 with a lanyard on the side or an extremely deep carry like the Caly 3.5"? Do you envision this as something other than a gentlemen's folder that influenced this design?

Questions for other forum members,

1. What do you think about the pocket clip?

2. Wouldn't it be awesome if Spyderco would either:
a. Send you free clips like Benchmade. Then if you wanted to make it a higher carry, you could request a LW Manix 2 clip, and rather than the deep ride clip.
b. Had the option on certain models to either buy a standard clip or a deep carry clip. I could see where this would be a hassle (I get that), which is why I haven't seen a knife company do this.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Hamilton
pftbahaa

Post by pftbahaa »

Hambobe56rx wrote:Paul,

I'm very excited about this design, especially when I saw that you mentioned that it will run on bearings! A Spyderco with carbon fiber handles, that runs on bearings, that you can deploy by flipping, slow-opening with the thumb stub, the spydie flick, a traditional thumb flick or flinging the compression lock! What else could you want????

Well I have thought of one thing... a very deep carry. I noticed this shares the same pocket clip and lanyard hole design as your Ouroboros. Would you care to explain your rationale? Considering the light weight, sleek lines and the Spyderco Deep Carry pocket clip, I would envision being able to be used a gentlemen's folder. I noticed where the blade thickness is 0.142" compared to the 0.118" in the sage 5, so it's a little thicker and maybe a harder use knife. I feel if this had the same deep carry as the Caly 3.5", it would be absolutely perfect for my taste. Even if it had the same carry as the Sage 5, that would be an improvement. But this is just my humble opinion, I'm not sure how the other forum members feel.

Question for Paul,

What was your thought process behind the positioning of the lanyard hole above the pocket clip and a higher ride, compared to giving it a deeper ride like the Sage 5 with a lanyard on the side or an extremely deep carry like the Caly 3.5"? Do you envision this as something other than a gentlemen's folder that influenced this design?

Questions for other forum members,

1. What do you think about the pocket clip?

2. Wouldn't it be awesome if Spyderco would either:
a. Send you free clips like Benchmade. Then if you wanted to make it a higher carry, you could request a LW Manix 2 clip, and rather than the deep ride clip.
b. Had the option on certain models to either buy a standard clip or a deep carry clip. I could see where this would be a hassle (I get that), which is why I haven't seen a knife company do this.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Hamilton
Pocket clip is perfect. The best pocket clip design in my opinion.