Official 2017 Mid-Year Supplement Discussion

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dplafoll

Re: Official 2017 Mid-Year Supplement Discussion

Post by dplafoll »

NickShabazz wrote:Looks like a Sliverax and Shaman are in my future, at the *very* least. And a non-Sprint Maxamet PM2. Nice.

Also, very interesting to see the Alcyone. I wonder if they're going to DC the Tenacious/Ambitious/Resilience line.
I am looking forward to your review of the Sliverax, after having previous issues with a Paul Alexander design and with Spyderco flippers.

I would think they might DC the Ambitious, Persistence, and Resilience, because I bet they don't sell enough to keep around. The Tenacious may still sell enough to keep going, but I would recommend the Efficient, Alcyone, or Polestar above any of the Tenacious line every time, and I'd be OK if they DC'd all of them.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
Molle Ninja

Post by Molle Ninja »

Incredible stuff, Spyderco.
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

Okay, so the must haves for me are:

PM2 Maxamet
Shaman
Sliverax
Hanan
Para 3 S110V
Para 3 Cruwear
Para 3 S90V
One Eyed Jack

What the budget allows...well, that all depends on release timing.
Last edited by Spydersense on Sat May 27, 2017 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Time for another :spyder:!

-Matt
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

DougC-3 wrote:The Para 3 is tempting, especially the Maxamet -- I handled the S30V one at a B&M and didn't notice problems with the clip. Usually the only thing that bothers me is if it's uncomfortable in hand in the grip you would use when cutting,.....
The clip didn't really bother me when I was holding or using the knife. In hand it was similar to the Native and that doesn't bother me at all. However, it kind of bothered me when closing the knife. With the compression lock I typically close the knife by pinching the handle between my thumb and middle finger and then moving the lock bar over with my index finger. With the original clip the flared end was right where I held the knife to close it. Not a huge deal but it felt kind of awkward to me. Also, with the original clip the knife rode kind of high in the pocket. Usually not a problem for me but it was higher than most. So, at least for me, the addition of the short Lynch clip improved the knife in a couple of ways and I like the knife much more now than I did originally.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Spydergirl88 wrote:In my excitement i forgot that the lw chap wasnt in it.... :( *cries*
I realized that last night too. With the recent release of the RN Chap I kind of figured the LW Chap would be awhile yet. Not really a problem for me. It's nice to know it's in the works. I'm pretty content with the models I have now and the with what's coming in the near future (UKPK S110V, Caly 3 HAP40, and hopefully a Cruwear Para 3).
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
MCM

Post by MCM »

Any idea when the C223CF90VP and FB41GP will be released?
And a One Eyed Jack just for fun.
Those are the ones for me.........
Last edited by MCM on Sat May 27, 2017 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I like the One Eyed Jack and the Salt 2 (black on black). I am still waiting on the blue DF2, P4, and hoping for a back lock Manix 2 XL.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

NickShabazz wrote:Looks like a Sliverax and Shaman are in my future, at the *very* least. And a non-Sprint Maxamet PM2. Nice.
And...according to your own rules which are the three ones that are going to leave :D ?
NickShabazz

Post by NickShabazz »

Gsg9 wrote:
And...according to your own rules which are the three ones that are going to leave :D ?
Hah. I'm willing to make that decision when it comes to it. I don't know that the Shaman's gonna work well for my life given the size. But that Sliverax could replace a gem or two, if it's as good as I hope. Paul's one heck of a designer, and Spyderco flippers are probably better than ever, with all the work they're putting into the new design to deal with the issues, meaningful or not, that other folks have raised.
Mourning the Slysz Bowie and loving the rest of Spyderco's gems. Check out my reviews at https://www.youtube.com/c/nickshabazz!
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

Its threads like these that remind me that fashion is not limited to clothing.
hovan2yourknives

Post by hovan2yourknives »

anycal wrote:I just ordered MXG clip for my CRUWEAR P3. Is that bad? :confused: I mean, is that bad? :confused:
Ha! I already have one that I bought a couple of weeks ago hoping there'd be a sprint that I like in this release. CRUWEAR fits the bill perfectly...
bh49

Post by bh49 »

kbuzbee wrote:
bh49 wrote:One eyed Jack is growing on me.
Me too, Roman. Well, I liked it from the start, but you know what I mean. It looks terrific
One eyed Jack is quite high on my wish list. I will buy it, unless will be totally broke
bh49 wrote:Shaman is much better than I was imagining.
kbuzbee wrote: That makes sense. Looks very much to be of the Native family line. I like it too.
Countered scales look and I hope that they will feel great. As much as I love FFG, I hope that Shaman will have high hollow grind. It is hard to say from the picture.
kbuzbee wrote:
bh49 wrote:Possibly it will be the last folder, which I will buy.
Yeah, yeah... sure, sure... until the next one, haha!
This is why I said possibly :D
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Babalu32

Post by Babalu32 »

Ive got a short lynch sandwashed ti clip waiting patiently for I didnt know what.
Certainly gonna go well with the dark grey Maxamet PM2....cant wait.
djinnzfree

Post by djinnzfree »

No new Sages?
PaleMoon

Post by PaleMoon »

One-Eyed Jack and Darn Dao are the clear standouts for me. I'm a little curious about ivory G10 on the OEJ and hope it won't get too dirty or stain indigo if worn with jeans, but otherwise I love the knife, it's a beautiful design. The name is great, too, reminds me of Twin Peaks.

I hope the updated Reinhold Rhino's absence isn't a sign it's been significantly delayed. That's another highly anticipated piece for me.
The problem of a coherent civilization is the problem of living with ignorance and not being frustrated by it.
anycal

Post by anycal »

P3 prices listed at BHQ.
Peter
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Sharp Guy wrote:
DougC-3 wrote:The Para 3 is tempting, especially the Maxamet -- I handled the S30V one at a B&M and didn't notice problems with the clip. Usually the only thing that bothers me is if it's uncomfortable in hand in the grip you would use when cutting,.....
The clip didn't really bother me when I was holding or using the knife. In hand it was similar to the Native and that doesn't bother me at all. However, it kind of bothered me when closing the knife. With the compression lock I typically close the knife by pinching the handle between my thumb and middle finger and then moving the lock bar over with my index finger. With the original clip the flared end was right where I held the knife to close it. Not a huge deal but it felt kind of awkward to me. Also, with the original clip the knife rode kind of high in the pocket. Usually not a problem for me but it was higher than most. So, at least for me, the addition of the short Lynch clip improved the knife in a couple of ways and I like the knife much more now than I did originally.
I was having a little trouble understanding what the problem was since I'm a lefty and close the knife differently, but what you say makes sense and sounds like a good mod. (Lefties can hold the knife with all four fingers on the left side, press the lock with thumb and flip the blade around with one wrist movement. But if your thumb happens to slip off the lock tab, you can drop the knife; so I usually wrap three fingers securely all the way around the knife, push the lock tab with thumb nail, the blade choil drops onto my middle finger, then I move my fingers out of the way and pull the blade in with my thumb -- it's just a 2 step thing like closing a backlock and takes maybe 2 seconds or less. Not sure how this works with the Para 3, and it works better with the Superleaf than with the smaller choil of the PM2.)
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
archangel

Post by archangel »

anycal wrote:P3 prices listed at BHQ.
:eek: Uff, $170+ for the Maxamet PM3?? While the Cru-Wear PM3 is only $125+ :confused:

Is Maxamet steel really so much more expensive??
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

archangel wrote:
:eek: Uff, $170+ for the Maxamet PM3?? While the Cru-Wear PM3 is only $125+ :confused:

Yes, and it's not just the cost of the steel itself. It's the cost of cutting, drilling, grinding, etc.
Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

archangel wrote:

$170 would be a sweet price, we will buy it in Europe for EUR220-240...