FRN version of the Civilian?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Afterman

FRN version of the Civilian?

Post by Afterman »

Delica - $69.
Endura - 0.9" more cutting edge. $72. :D

Matriarch 2 - $84.
Civilian - 0.5" more cutting edge - $180. :(

There's already threads that call out the price of G10 knives made in Japan, so I don't need to go there. The point of this thread is proposing an FRN version of the Civilian. This is a legendary design and one of the Spyderco classics. An FRN version would be lighter, grippy in all conditions, and a lot more affordable. A knife designed to protect and save lives shouldn't be priced like a collector's edition gentlemen's folder. The Matriarch 2 is nice, but we want the full size beast known as The Civilian. :spyder:
ZrowsN1s

Re: FRN version of the Civilian?

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I always sort of thought of the Matriarch as the FRN Civilian.
I don't know if you could talk them into paying for the 'tooling' it would take to make a new FRN model.
They all come with a little disclaimer that say the knives aren't for EDC use. What I'd really like to see if a version of the civilian or matriarch that was built stout enough for EDC. Maxamet?
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

ZrowsN1s wrote:I always sort of thought of the Matriarch as the FRN Civilian.
Exactly. If you read the history of the Matriarch, it was created as a more affordable version of the Civilian. And, quite frankly, if the Matriarch 2 isn't sufficient, another 1/2 inch of blade isn't going to make a difference.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I strongly suspect that Civilian is a very niche market item and that its sales would not just the expensive molds necessary for an FRN version. The Matriarch exists to serve whatever need there is for a large reverse S bladed Spyderco,while being much more economically justifiable as it has always shared a handle used by several other FRN models.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

It's not that I don't want one though. You better believe if they make an FRN Civilian I will buy one. :D

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

ZrowsN1s wrote:It's not that I don't want one though. You better believe if they make an FRN Civilian I will buy one. :D
haha we're two then. :D
My Lil' Matriarch would love a big brother

sal

Post by sal »

Hi Afterman,

First I would do an evolution of the design, work out bugs and gauge demand. I guess we can discuss what the "upgrades" or "improvements" would be?

I would make the tip stronger, Probably go full flat, I've thought about other locks, but I really like some of the features of a lock-back.

sal
Afr0man69

Post by Afr0man69 »

I also agree with an frn version of the civilian as long as it has a strong enough lock
Afterman

Post by Afterman »

sal wrote:First I would do an evolution of the design, work out bugs and gauge demand. I guess we can discuss what the "upgrades" or "improvements" would be?

I would make the tip stronger, Probably go full flat, I've thought about other locks, but I really like some of the features of a lock-back.
:D Thanks for the reply!

Deep carry tip-down wire clip would be neat. And a blacked out version.

A different lock would be interesting for flicking it open, and easier one hand closing.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

This fits in nicely with a thread Vivi started yesterday about H1 having the highest SE edge retention of any steel that Spyderco has tested, given that and it's rust proof nature, it seems like a perfect fit for a Civilian Upgrade.

I would personally wish for a Plain Edge Hap 40 or ZDP version as well.

As for the lock? A year ago I would have said ditch the lock-back, but I have grown very fond of Spyderco's lock backs in ways I never thought I would. One of the biggest appeals of a lock-back is the true ambidexterity and the opportunity for a 'Linerless" lock-back. Tell me you wouldn't want a linerless lockback H1 civilian?

On the other hand... A flickable compression lock civilian would be better suited to self defense. Speed and ease of use count in an emergency. I can only imagine the horror of trying to fumble open a lockback Civilian quickly, only to not quite get it all the way open, and have the strong bias towards being closed bring that wicked blade back down on your fingers. Game over. :eek:

Robbob

Post by Robbob »

I'm thinking automatic Civilian.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I would think H1 to be a good fit for this design. It is very strong, far tougher than the current steel being used. That would help strengthen the tip without making it thicker (Not that doing both should be off the table).

I really like a serrated hawkbill as a companion blade, but the Tasman is just a bit smaller than I'd like. Bringing back the Spyderhawk or making a lightweight FRN / H1 Civilian would be wonderful.
Chinook3

Post by Chinook3 »

sal wrote:Hi Afterman,

First I would do an evolution of the design, work out bugs and gauge demand. I guess we can discuss what the "upgrades" or "improvements" would be?

sal
I really like the current version of the Civilian, however a FRN model sounds cool.
1.stronger tip
2.FFG
3.Maybe a bit more front guard, similar to the new Chinook4? How about a little thicker spine at the thumb similar to the Yojimbo, perhaps a bit polished for comfort :)
4.Golden Co. Backlock OR how would a power lock work in FRN? Just a thought.
5.Blade steel,,,, S30v, VG10 to keep the cost down??
6.Upgrade clip to Military style where screws are spaced apart for greater strength.
My response is "Just because you can't see it, doesn't mean it isn't there, it just means you can't see it". Sal G.
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

combine the steel of the Tasman,
and the shape of the Lil' Matriarch

then make it this size,
and with this tip:

call it the Civilian Salt, or whatever you fancy. Sell them all in 1 week :D

and while you're at it, bring back this champ

TomH

Post by TomH »

I hope Greg Walker gives some imput here.