Would You Send This In To Warranty?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ABX2011

Would You Send This In To Warranty?

Post by ABX2011 »

Manix2 Lightweight Maxamet. Just received new from dealer. Curious if people would send this in. Gap in scales, a piece of standard paper slides in. It bothers me but I can live with it. Of course it would reduce resale value.
What do people think?
SG89

Re: Would You Send This In To Warranty?

Post by SG89 »

I personally would not. But it would bug me
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
LDB

Post by LDB »

I probably would. I'd figure Spyderco doesn't want it wandering around loose for anyone to see any more than I want to see it and they'd be appreciative of me letting them make it right.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Yeah I think it should probably be a factory second. Undecided on sending it in.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

That gap doesn't seem quite right does it? While it's a minor mostly cosmetic issue, if you havent started using it yet I'd either send it back to the dealer, or contact spyderco waranty repair and see if they can tighten it up, swap out the backspacer, or exchange it.
Zmaxfit.jpg
zMaxfit2.jpg
For comparison sake.
Last edited by ZrowsN1s on Thu May 25, 2017 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

if you you're not happy with it then yes, send it back. For me it really depends on whether i plan on the piece being a heavy user or not, I've got a few that weren't up to standards but ended up keeping because I knew they would get mucked up eventually through use.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
attila

Post by attila »

My S110V Manix has a remarkably similar gap, as if the one side mold was slightly larger than the other side and the bigger one got ever-so slightly warped upon riveting.

I chose not to send mine back as I use my knives and it doesn't hurt function.

As others have said, it's irritating.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I never tried to slide anything between mine but it had the same uneven spine like that. It's hard to compare a knife like this to a traditional back lock because they get an additional sanding and buffing to make everything flush (example, Caly 3).
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I would probably just use it if i didn't feel like it caused any functional issues. I wouldn't buy an FRCP scaled knife for show or worry about its resale value but everyone is different.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

I agree that this knife is definitely not a showpiece which is why I'm not terribly bothered. Resale value is always a concern of mine because it can be quite costly to buy and sell. My tastes change and so the collection is in constant flux.
I appreciate everyone's feedback.
AwayFromMySpydieHole

Post by AwayFromMySpydieHole »

Evil D wrote:I never tried to slide anything between mine but it had the same uneven spine like that. It's hard to compare a knife like this to a traditional back lock because they get an additional sanding and buffing to make everything flush (example, Caly 3).

The OPs knife isn't a lock back, it's a manix. Mine has an even worse gap than that, in the exact same spot.

Matter of fact, I own 4 of the maxamet manix's. 2 of them have gaps like that.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

AwayFromMySpydieHole wrote: Mine has an even worse gap than that, in the exact same spot.

Interesting. This is the fourth Manix2 Lightweight I've owned and the only one with a gap. I had a BD1 and 2 S110Vs prior to this. Guess I've been a bit ambivalent on the design!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

AwayFromMySpydieHole wrote:
Evil D wrote:I never tried to slide anything between mine but it had the same uneven spine like that. It's hard to compare a knife like this to a traditional back lock because they get an additional sanding and buffing to make everything flush (example, Caly 3).

The OPs knife isn't a lock back, it's a manix. Mine has an even worse gap than that, in the exact same spot.

I wasn't implying that it was a back lock, I have one too. I'm just saying the lines on an all FRN handle can't be compared to a steel back spacer knife that gets cleaned up and made to look seamless. Whether or not this is an acceptable amount of gap and uneven lines is up to Spyderco and the OP.
~David
paladin

Post by paladin »

It's obvious it's bugging you...send it in or else every time you look at it you'll be pissed at yourself...my 2 cents cause I've been there.
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
bouhunter

Post by bouhunter »

paladin wrote:It's obvious it's bugging you...send it in or else every time you look at it you'll be pissed at yourself...my 2 cents cause I've been there.
I agree. It's not a cheap knife, should look better than that.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

So after looking at some pics of mine, yeah I have to say it's unacceptable. Mine had nowhere near that much gap nor was it that uneven on the spine.

Still nowhere near as flush as a back lock but way better than this one.
~David
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Thanks for the pics ZrowsN1s and Evil D.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

My thoughts on something like this is 1) you aren't happy, and there's nothing wrong with that. What's acceptable to me may be ridiculous to the next guy, but more importantly 2) Spyderco need to see this for themselves. There may be some issues with the molds that they need to address. I would contact W&R over the phone and mail it to Golden.
~David
greencobra

Post by greencobra »

oh yeah, i'd send it in. recently, i agonized over sending a new knife in fearing they would think my concern was frivolous. guess not, they replaced the knife. send it.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

For the record, I will just add that the blade is well centered, the action is smooth and the lockup solid with a screaming sharp edge.