Would You Send This In To Warranty?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
AwayFromMySpydieHole

Re: Would You Send This In To Warranty?

Post by AwayFromMySpydieHole »

Evil D wrote:
AwayFromMySpydieHole wrote:
Evil D wrote:I never tried to slide anything between mine but it had the same uneven spine like that. It's hard to compare a knife like this to a traditional back lock because they get an additional sanding and buffing to make everything flush (example, Caly 3).

The OPs knife isn't a lock back, it's a manix. Mine has an even worse gap than that, in the exact same spot.

Matter of fact, I own 4 of the maxamet manix's. 2 of them have gaps like that.
Gotcha.

And I personally would just deal with it. Cosmetic issues bug me a lot less than function issues, such as an oversharpened blade, unintentional recurve, stuff like that. But if you're annoyed by it OP by all means send it in. It's a valid concern as I highly doubt spyderco intends the knives to look like that.

I wasn't implying that it was a back lock, I have one too. I'm just saying the lines on an all FRN handle can't be compared to a steel back spacer knife that gets cleaned up and made to look seamless. Whether or not this is an acceptable amount of gap and uneven lines is up to Spyderco and the OP.
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

I personally would not unless it's actually affecting the structural integrity of the handle. If it felt loose at all when flexing it, then I'd be concerned. If it turned out to just be a bad job aesthetically (ignoring that the gap is a safe haven for dirt and moisture), I'd probably just use it.
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
palonej

Post by palonej »

Obviously bugging you.....call Charlynn. Explain your concern and she'll prob tell you to send it.
I love the Manix platform, have 5, I wouldn't accept that.
Doesn't really matter if it's a user or not, it isn't right.
Good luck and let us know what happens.
Joe
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Thanks for the feedback all. I'm going to keep it. Although not cheap, the Lightweight is a working knife and the higher cost of this model is all in the steel. If this was more of a presentation knife, I would send it in. I think this minor issue is cosmetic and will not effect function at all.
ejames13

Post by ejames13 »

As much as it hurts my OCD, I actually like my knives that have small imperfections such as this. It makes me more prone to use the knife and not be afraid of messing it up. Sort of like the first dent in a new car.
Nate

Post by Nate »

I doubt I would have even noticed. :)
:spyder:
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

ejames13 wrote:As much as it hurts my OCD, I actually like my knives that have small imperfections such as this. It makes me more prone to use the knife and not be afraid of messing it up. Sort of like the first dent in a new car.
I had this thought as well. :)
AwayFromMySpydieHole

Post by AwayFromMySpydieHole »

ABX2011 wrote:Thanks for the feedback all. I'm going to keep it. Although not cheap, the Lightweight is a working knife and the higher cost of this model is all in the steel. If this was more of a presentation knife, I would send it in. I think this minor issue is cosmetic and will not effect function at all.

I think that's a good idea. I just tend to forget mine even has a gap, and with some use and pocket time I doubt you'll even notice it.

It's one **** of a knife with a crazy steel. I have a long running test going on that I post occasionally in on the other forum. Needless to say, maxamet has (so far) outperformed everything I've ever used. Even custom knives made in s90v, k390, 10v, etc.

The mode of dulling is unlike anything else, really.
Leadsled

Post by Leadsled »

I have the translucent blue model. It has a gap that I can stick the corner of a sheet of paper in. Didn't notice that until reading this thread. :eek: I knew the back spacer was a bit uneven. Other than that, it's smooth and centered.

Now I have to worry about magnetized blades, gaps in spine and blades opening in the tip up position. Anything else I should know?
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Leadsled wrote:I have the translucent blue model. It has a gap that I can stick the corner of a sheet of paper in. Didn't notice that until reading this thread. :eek: I knew the back spacer was a bit uneven. Other than that, it's smooth and centered.

Now I have to worry about magnetized blades, gaps in spine and blades opening in the tip up position. Anything else I should know?

Hang around long enough and the internet will convince you of whatever you choose to believe ;)
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Leadsled

Post by Leadsled »

Evil D wrote:
Leadsled wrote:I have the translucent blue model. It has a gap that I can stick the corner of a sheet of paper in. Didn't notice that until reading this thread. :eek: I knew the back spacer was a bit uneven. Other than that, it's smooth and centered.

Hang around long enough and the internet will convince you of whatever you choose to believe ;)
I think a psychologist could really data mine this forum. :) My favorite thread was the sharpness of the Spyder hole. I prefer them sharp. I have an early 90s Mariner that is beveled. An Endura 3 which is too small. I like the hole on my Dragonfly Salt SE and the 14mm holes.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Leadsled wrote:
Evil D wrote:

I think a psychologist could really data mine this forum. :) My favorite thread was the sharpness of the Spyder hole. I prefer them sharp. I have an early 90s Mariner that is beveled. An Endura 3 which is too small. I like the hole on my Dragonfly Salt SE and the 14mm holes.
I was really amazed at how well the little hole on the Nilakka worked and it's really all because it's sharp. Gloves are a game changer though.

Little things like blade centering and even blade play never occurred to me before the internet. It's interesting how you learn about problems you didn't know you had.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Hardbawl

Post by Hardbawl »

Why not seed an e-mail to Spyderco Customer Service along with a picture and ask them what to do?? After all, they are the one who can offer a fix. I'll bet they want a satisfied customer. Just saying... Hardbawl
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Would I send it back if it were my knife? Probably not. Would the gap bother me? More than likely (thanks to my overactive OCD). ;) However, I've come to realize that when it comes to knives, cosmetic imperfections usually do not impair the knife's function. For example, my mainstay Ladybug has a noticeable gap between the handle and lock bar, but it still locks up tightly and has minimal blade play. I'd say use it and enjoy it.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
bpahk

Post by bpahk »

Personally I would try to swap it. Definitely something that would bother me. One of the major reasons spyderco has such a dedicated following is the tight tolerances they maintain and take great pride in.
dreadpirate

Post by dreadpirate »

In short yes. My LW Manix 2 looks much cleaner.
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

Send em to me. :) I'm going to use mine I dont really care about a paper thin gap.
illacky

Post by illacky »

I have the same issue on the same knife. The gap on mine looks about the same if not slightly more pronounced. I debated on sending it in but decided not to. However for a $167 knife it bothers me, regardless that the handle is FRN.
-Ivan
-Ivan