What collaborations would you like to see?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bearfacedkiller

What collaborations would you like to see?

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I thought it might be fun to throw ideas at the wall and see if anything sticks. :) This may also be a great resource for Spyderco, helping them know what we want. Who knows, something from this thread could very well come to fruition.

Please feel free to share what you would like to see. Anything from mild to wild, from practical to full on bling. If there is something you think Spyderco could put their spin on and would make a great knife than lets here it!

My first request here will be for a collaboration of the Graham Razel folder. CRKT has already done this but it was, well, jusr OK. I have one and like it but keep wondering what Spyderco's version of this knife might be like. This could be a great hard use work knife. As far as I know CRKT is not making it anymore so it could be a possibility.

I have a couple of other ideas but for now I just want to hear what you all want. :D

Last edited by bearfacedkiller on Thu May 25, 2017 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
MacLaren

Re: What collaborations would you like to see?

Post by MacLaren »

Mine would be with Jason Brous for a Division in 204P
This Spydie would be truly Epic......at least I think itbwould be ! :D :D
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I like the CRKT Razel and rock it around the house for projects sometimes.

A ~3"-3.25" Slysz Rat with a Spydiehole and wire clip would be a dream come true, but I'm sure its a long shot with the the Mouse2 and Swayback in line already.

I did a mock up of this a while back:
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I really want to see some more collaborations with Darriel Caston, as I love the Squarehead! His knives have an unconventional, retro-futuristic, sci-fi, style that I really like. It's really unique! I would be ecstatic to see a Spyderco version of the "Squaretana." A 'full size' Sqaurehead, essentially.

Darriel Caston also recently designed and made a knife called the "The Whorl Circular Knife." It was "based on our ancestral Oval and Circle stone and flint knives." I think this would be right at home in the Ethnic Series! Maybe the first Ethinic series keychain knife? ;)

Also, I'd like to see more full size collaborations with Serge Panchenko. Don't get me wrong though, I'm a huge fan of the Dogtag series but the Roc was such a nice taste of what a full size Spyderco x Serge Panchenko knife could be!
I basically drool over his "Bean flippers" and his "Persian Framelock" looks like its ready for a Spyderco logo on the blade! :spyder:

Bean Flipper

Persian Framelock
-Nick :bug-red
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

The circular knife is cool, like a folding ulu. Thanks, I had not seen that before.

Serge's coin claw would be cool too.

Last edited by bearfacedkiller on Thu May 25, 2017 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
hoimin

Post by hoimin »

Some ideas were previously collected in this thread.

Would love to see more options in the modern-traditional space like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToLOPYkiAkU
https://www.instagram.com/p/BUA3loXA5Mi

That's a teeny-tiny front flipper, on a Mnandi-sized folder. I managed to get one from his first batch (2.75" plain M390, no hole, no clip) coming my way in a week or so. I kind of bugged him into submitting some designs to Spyderco (and others) awhile back, so hopefully something bears fruit.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Ernest Emerson designs some of the best fighting knives around... how ever the materials and lock type they use is not what I'm looking for these days.
What I would like to see is a compression lock or lockback implementation of one of Ernies designs made by spyderco, spydie hole opener, no wave. In a steel like s110v or M390. Mini-cqc15, or Combat Systems Fighter would be ideal.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The Razel is also one of my top picks. Give the handle the Spyderco treatment and give it a thumb hole and some tough steel and I'm all over it. Put that blade in a Yojimbo or Manix 2 handle and OMG.

I'd also like to see a Strider colab, but that seems unlikely. I'd also be happy if CRK licensed the hole and made a large Insingo with a thumb hole.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Being I'm annoyingly "old school" and I know a lot of folks here on the Forum wish I would go away :rolleyes: :D However I ain't going anywhere, anytime soon so I'm going to give my input on what I would like to see in an upcoming collaboration.

There are two new collaborations I would dearly love to see and they are the following: First and foremost I would love to see Spyderco and Massad Ayoob do another folder model as well as a possible Ayoob fixed blade model too>> Second I would like to see Spyderco and JD Smith both go back to the drawing board :cool: The original Ayoob and JD Smith models are two of my most sentimental favorites and two that I still use and rotate in my EDC arsenal.

Now there is one more Old School possibility but being Phil Boguszewski is now passed away unfortunately I still wish that Spyderco could do one of his iconic/classic designs. I would love to see all the new guys see fine art cutlery at it's finest :cool:
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Peter Rassenti Druid :cool:
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JD Spydo wrote: I know a lot of folks here on the Forum wish I would go away

Not a chance JD. I do think sometimes you're fighting a unwinnable battle but I'm usually on your side wishing those models would get some love. Who knows maybe if you keep at it the powers that be will finally give in just to shut you up ;)
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
thombrogan

Post by thombrogan »

Bluntcut and the Golden, CO heat-treating department. :cool:
ohcyclist

Post by ohcyclist »

I would echo the Razel. Spyderco made wold be great.
npad69

Post by npad69 »

i would like to see an A.G. Russell collab particularly with their folding hocho:
the spydiechef is my most favorite spydie to date but it is designed to be more EDC-friendly rather than kitchen-friendly. i would like to see spyderco create along these line a 'spydercook' folder which is more kitchen rather than edc-friendly. the handle material must be easy to clean but not slippery especially when wet. blade should be at least 4.25" or longer with thin LC200N steel. having a strong reinforced metal pommel would be preferable which could handle impacts from crushing garlic to cracking crab claws and pepper corns.
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

abbazaba wrote:I like the CRKT Razel and rock it around the house for projects sometimes.

A ~3"-3.25" Slysz Rat with a Spydiehole and wire clip would be a dream come true, but I'm sure its a long shot with the the Mouse2 and Swayback in line already.

I did a mock up of this a while back:

I like that quite a bit. If it was built to the same tolerances of the bowie then it'd be awesome. I like the pointy tip more than the lack of one on the bowie.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

thombrogan wrote:Bluntcut and the Golden, CO heat-treating department. :cool:
I'd be curious to see if something like that could be licensed and put into a production setting myself.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
Hopweaver

Post by Hopweaver »

I hope there is another collab with Kershaw soon. I thought the Spyker was a great design.

:bug-red Make time for the important things in life, and learn to enjoy the little things more. :bug-red
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

As an rj Martin fan boy, that
Chinook3

Post by Chinook3 »

Now that the "Darn Dao" is coming out heck might as well go for it. Would like to see a big Bowie knife, 11-13 inch blade :eek: collaborated with any of the following:

James Keating
Bill Bagwell
Lon Humphrey
My response is "Just because you can't see it, doesn't mean it isn't there, it just means you can't see it". Sal G.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
JD Spydo wrote: I know a lot of folks here on the Forum wish I would go away

Not a chance JD. I do think sometimes you're fighting a unwinnable battle but I'm usually on your side wishing those models would get some love. Who knows maybe if you keep at it the powers that be will finally give in just to shut you up ;)
You know something EVIL D that's exactly what I've been thinking too. It could be that so few of the newer part of the Spyderrville community just isn't aware of how great these old classic models are>> but I'm not giving up because those two models I mentioned are two of the early models that helped make Spyderco who they are today.

The collaborations of Massad Ayoob and JD Smith really did a lot to put Spyderco where they are today in this ever growing knife market that we've seen literally explode in the past 5 years or so.

Also I wouldn't mind seeing more of Jason Breeden's collaborations as well. His C-111 CAPTAIN has sure become a cult classic as well as his great RESCUE model. But if the three of these guys would get back to the Spyderco collaboration market I do believe everyone would love it.