What collaborations would you like to see?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Re: What collaborations would you like to see?

Post by Evil D »

JD Spydo wrote:
Evil D wrote:
JD Spydo wrote: I know a lot of folks here on the Forum wish I would go away

Not a chance JD. I do think sometimes you're fighting a unwinnable battle but I'm usually on your side wishing those models would get some love. Who knows maybe if you keep at it the powers that be will finally give in just to shut you up ;)
You know something EVIL D that's exactly what I've been thinking too. It could be that so few of the newer part of the Spyderrville community just isn't aware of how great these old classic models are>> but I'm not giving up because those two models I mentioned are two of the early models that helped make Spyderco who they are today.

The collaborations of Massad Ayoob and JD Smith really did a lot to put Spyderco where they are today in this ever growing knife market that we've seen literally explode in the past 5 years or so.

Also I wouldn't mind seeing more of Jason Breeden's collaborations as well. His C-111 CAPTAIN has sure become a cult classic as well as his great RESCUE model. But if the three of these guys would get back to the Spyderco collaboration market I do believe everyone would love it.

The sad reality is I don't think enough people care unless it's a model that some You Boober makes videos about and claims to be the best knife ever made. We live in a throw away society that is only focused on the latest and greatest so they don't care to hear about any knife that isn't the new hotness. This hobby is almost like a fashion trend in that way and people look at the "founding models" like they're bell bottom jeans. It really is a shame but I understand Spyderco have to make smart business choices, and an Ayoob sprint may become a liability. At least they know they've got 2 sales from us lol.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
JD Spydo wrote: I know a lot of folks here on the Forum wish I would go away

Not a chance JD. I do think sometimes you're fighting a unwinnable battle but I'm usually on your side wishing those models would get some love. Who knows maybe if you keep at it the powers that be will finally give in just to shut you up ;)
Yeah you've got a valid point there EVIL D because my constant, non-stop petitioning for "Old School" model resurrections has just got to be mildly annoying if nothing else>> however in another train of thought you would think that Spyderco themselves would also be very proud of their "Hall Of Fame" caliber collaborations of the past and they just can't ignore how many people still revere and respect them.

The ergonomics of the Ayoob and JD Smith models would easily take on any of these more recent collaborations>> I'm 1000% sure of it. I think if both those models were christened with newer/better blade steels and maybe some type of very exotic handle materials I do believe would make those older models even more coveted than they were in their glory days. I can't even tell you how many knife guys who have contacted me wanting to know where they can get their hands on both of these past collaboration classics.

Try to imagine a C-60 Ayoob with M390 blade steel and a Carbon Fiber handle :cool: and/or a JD Smith model with CTS-204P blade steel and a possible new grade Micarta handle. I guarantee you the interest would be intense and the demand would be very high>> They would sell out the Sprint Run within a week or less.
brj

Post by brj »

I'd like to see a new Dialex collab, either a bigger version of the Junior (for convenience, henceforth called Senior :) ) or maybe his "Akimbo" design

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

brj wrote:I'd like to see a new Dialex collab, either a bigger version of the Junior (for convenience, henceforth called Senior :) ) or maybe his "Akimbo" design

I just happen to be fan of Brother "Dialex" myself. I always liked his old "Adventura" collaboration model that he had with Spyderco back around 2006 I think it was. But those are awesome looking>> Yeah he does have some interesting designs. Haven't seen him chime in lately but I always enjoy his input as well as his very unique blade designs.
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

-I'm on board for a Graham Razel colab. Who knows, now that his crkt stuff is long since done it might be something Spyderco will revisit!?

- A Brous colab would certainly be interesting but wouldn't it likely cost more than a typical Spyderco or as much as a Brous anyway? Still probably be worth looking at though, as much as I love D2,(and Brous does it right) a lot of people want a "better" steel.

-Smock SK23!!! It would probably even work to make two versions like the Mantra, with and without functional hole.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
jstrange

Post by jstrange »

I don't know if he has an exclusive with Kabar, but I would love to see a folder by Jesse Jarosz. He already licenses the Spydie-hole and Compression-lock on some of his customs. I am a big fan of his and Spyderco so this would be my wish.
:spyder: jstrange
thombrogan

Post by thombrogan »

More Chad Los Banos work. Lava needs a cousin!
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

jstrange wrote:I don't know if he has an exclusive with Kabar, but I would love to see a folder by Jesse Jarosz. He already licenses the Spydie-hole and Compression-lock on some of his customs. I am a big fan of his and Spyderco so this would be my wish.
Awesome, very nice, I'm glad someone brought up Jesse! He is my favorite custom maker and I have about 5-6 of his folders (and sold off a few others) and 2 fixed blades. I showed Eric Glesser Jesse's Pulsar model with the comp lock at the OKCA show two months ago and he mentioned that Jesse should send them a prototype. :) I also showed Sal the exact same knife at the show the previous year and he liked it a lot too (after questioning me about whether Jesse had a license to use it! ;)). My only concern for a Spyderco collaboration is that active one going with KA-BAR for both folders and fixed blades but those are all fairly low-end offerings (I'm not saying inferior in any way, just low cost). I would really love to see Taichung take on a comp lock Pulsar-type design. Cheers, Radioactive :)

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Ales D

Post by Ales D »

Rex Applegate !!

His variant of the Fairbairn dagger is my absolutely favourite combat "short" blade ever made .
I'm sure he could have done terrific things about poket knifes too... unfortunately he is passed oput already ;(

But a man can dream!
NON AURO SED FERRO RECUPERANDA EST PATRIA
(Marcus Furius Camillus)
ramasipsc

Post by ramasipsc »

Would like to see Stan Wilson and Spyderco collab on NFF folder
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

thombrogan wrote:More Chad Los Banos work. Lava needs a cousin!
OH yeah!! Brother Chad :cool: Who goes by the name Daywalker here at Spyderville. He had been chiming in back around Christmas time and then he disappeared. He was one of the very first people I got to know well when I first because a citizen of Spyderville. Him and the Deacon and Dr. Hannibal Lecter along with Vampyrewolf were all good pals at one time.

Yeah I hope he does chime in and let us know what he's currently doing on his drawing board. The LAVA was truly one of Spyderco's very best small knives. The Dodo is the only small bladed Spyder I like better. His designs were truly unique and very functional. Come Back Brother CHAD :)