Spyderco fixed blade for hunting

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
marshy

Spyderco fixed blade for hunting

Post by marshy »

Hi everyone!

I'm new member to the forum...well, a long time reader, but haven't posted before, and have decided to take the plunge as I'm needing some feedback from users :)

I'm from South Africa, and I'm a lover of the outdoors - fishing, hunting, camping, etc. and I'm looking for a new hunting knife.

So I'm in a quandary. I'm a Spydie fan (1x Tenacious, 1x Endura4, 3x PM2) and have decided to go with Spyderco for a fixed blade. The question is, which one? Or a combination of which ones?

I'm whittled down my options to the following models -
  • - Spyderco Sprig
  • - Spyderco South Fork
  • - Spyderco Sustain
  • - Spyderco Serrata
I know each has pro's (and very few con's), so the choice is difficult! I'm looking for an all purpose hunting knife for small to medium game, and if needs be, can be used on large game at a push. I'm not looking to do any serious outdoor survival work, such as batoning etc. Just skinning, gutting and the like.

I know the Sustain is the odd one out, but I'd love that as a Pig Sticker Knife, but then which one to complement it? I know that there's little difference between the Sprig and South Fork, but of the two, which would suit me better? And then if I through the Serrata in, where does that leave me?

Questions, questions....

I'm wanting to try make a decision by this weekend so that I can jump on the eBay Memorial Day special and save me some bucks! :D

Thanks very much in advance!

Marshy :cool:
Tenacious, PM3, PM2, Southfork, Sustain
Ankerson

Re: Spyderco fixed blade for hunting

Post by Ankerson »

Out of those the South Fork would fit your needs the best I believe. :)
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

The Bradley Bowie is a classic design,and a great knife.
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I'd vote southfork. It's a great knife and out of those the only one i owned.
roger-roger

Post by roger-roger »

marshy wrote:Hi everyone!

I'm new member to the forum...well, a long time reader, but haven't posted before, and have decided to take the plunge as I'm needing some feedback from users :)

I'm from South Africa, and I'm a lover of the outdoors - fishing, hunting, camping, etc. and I'm looking for a new hunting knife.

So I'm in a quandary. I'm a Spydie fan (1x Tenacious, 1x Endura4, 3x PM2) and have decided to go with Spyderco for a fixed blade. The question is, which one? Or a combination of which ones?

I'm whittled down my options to the following models -
  • - Spyderco Sprig
  • - Spyderco South Fork
  • - Spyderco Sustain
  • - Spyderco Serrata
...Just skinning, gutting and the like.

For a number of years I used the Moran upswept, also available in drop point, for field dressing including skinning. Highly recommended. Although some don't like its fat stubby handle and light weight, those two traits basically spoiled me concerning other hunting designs. The grippy ergonomic handle really allowed me to up my game in so far as skinning is concerned.

I don't hunt much, if at all anymore, but never say never again. I'll probably be ordering Spyderco's Phil Wilson Bow River when it comes out. Already have an idea for a new rifle. :)
h8speech

Post by h8speech »

Sustain and South Fork.
ZMW

Post by ZMW »

No Mule? Is that just due to blade shape or other reasons?
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Southfork.

And welcome to the forum. :)
Skidoosh

Post by Skidoosh »

For Africa- Southfork. Another option would be a 20CV mule. I like the mule for cutting meat and its a much cheaper option.
Ferris Wheels

Post by Ferris Wheels »

For an all around sportsman's knife, it doesn't get any better than the Southfork. I own a Sprig and Southfork and the Southfork I feel is the better all around knife. My Southfork has been used to process over a dozen big game animals and counting with sizes ranging form pronghorn antelope to elk. Please post some photos of your adventures with whatever knife you end up deciding upon.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The Southfork was designed as a hunting knife. You should also look at the Moran fixed blades as they, too, were designed as hunting knives and are proven in the field.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

The Sustain is the one I'd go for. Also the Ronin 2, Aqua Salt, Rock Salt, Enuff Salt, and Jump Master.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Skidoosh

Post by Skidoosh »

There was talk about updating the steel on the Moran- maybe a sprint at some point
FDE

Post by FDE »

Of all the Spydercos I've used in a hunting knife role my favorite is the Spyderco FB01 Bill Moran - Bowie style blade. Typically a knife without finger guard would be a nonstarter for a hunting knife but the design of the Moran's​ handle locks your hand in very secure. If I had to choose from your list I would pick the Phil Wilson Sprig because I find it's slimmer and slightly shorter profile much more controllable in use over my Southfork. I also prefer the thinner behind the edge blade of the Sprig. To me the Southfork is over built (thick behind the edge) for a knife made of S90V. Yes its thick grind makes the knife less suceptible to chipping/rolling but certainly not impervious. When the edge does become damaged, extremely​ wear resistant steels like S90V are a pain to bring back. So for me I prefer the thinner grind and use a little extra care when using my Sprig not to cut into bone or pop joints apart. I reserve these tasks for the Bill Moran with VG10 steel with which I can beat on and when I'm done, run a few passes on the sharpmaker and be shaving sharp again. The Phil Wilson Spydercos are excellent knives but IMO the Bill Moran Bowie is a much better all around hunting - field dressing, skinning, boning knife.
Gravedigger

Post by Gravedigger »

I'm not in favor of carrying a fixed blade for hunting. They are fine in camp or deep inside a backpack. The country I hunt there is a very good chance I'll fall or slip. I carry a Gayle Bradley 1 and keep my Sprig in the truck.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Strictly for a fixed blade hunting knife my ultimate vote would be for the SOUTHFORK model. With the super blade design and S90V blade steel there is just no way you could go wrong with that most awesome model IMO.

However in the "Golden Oldie" category Spyderco has a super great model from the past that's been one of my personal favorites ever since it was released. I'm speaking of the TEMPERANCE 1 model. I've used my TEMP 1 for well over 12 years now and it's been a really great all purpose fixed blade and I very much wish it to return in a new blade steel.

I particularly like the TEMP 1 because not only was it a near perfect design it was also one of the very few fixed blades that was available in SE & PE both and believe me the two different edge types come in extremely handy on hunting and fishing trips.
marshy

Post by marshy »

Gents, you're a bad bunch! You're not making this any easier for me! ;)

Thanks for everyone's inputs so far! If only funds was limitless, or the Rand to dollar exchange rate wasn't so extreme, I'd buy all of those mentioned!

So It's currently looking like the following - a combo of the Southfork and the Sustain, and then perhaps another "smaller" fixed blade as well, such as the Bill Moran Upswept or the Mule. I know with the Mule, I'll need to still get a sheath as well as handles, which would take me to about the $150 mark?

Just out of interest, I see no one made any mention of the Serrata? Is there any reason behind this?

Thanks once again everyone!!!

Marshy :cool:
Tenacious, PM3, PM2, Southfork, Sustain
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I've been eyeing a Southfork since I bought my Sprig and the only reason I haven't bought one yet is because I'm saving my pennies to buy a boat for the summer. :rolleyes:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

The South Fork has become my most used fixed blade I own. I use it in my kitchen all the time. It is a perfect design and seems to work perfectly at any number of chores.

I like the new Jumpmaster 2 and have just started using it. Might be a great knife if you are hunting or working in very wet environments.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Please dont discount the Temperance 2.
Its an amazing fixed blade. A do it all blade to be sure.