RELEASE THE FLIPPERS!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
pftbahaa

RELEASE THE FLIPPERS!!

Post by pftbahaa »

Hey there!

Just hoping for a kind of ETA or timeframe to expect the whole flipper nonsense to be resolved. Not that I truly expect the most definite of answers if one comes at all. The waiting game is rather dull, so I thought why not get vocal and see if we could see what's up! Genuinely good idea, wouldn't you agree?

Much love and a pinch of sincerity,
Pft

PS:
Sorry to make such a demanding thread tittle there, but I thought it sounded rather catchy and just went with it.
Evil D

Re: RELEASE THE FLIPPERS!!

Post by Evil D »

I wouldn't call it a boycott but I don't think there's anything on my list until I can have the Paul Alexander flipper.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
pftbahaa

Post by pftbahaa »

I'm in the exact same seat here. That's precisely why I made this post. I'm far too anxious.
Tyrdle

Post by Tyrdle »

Someone fill me in, what is "the whole flipper nonsense?"
:spyder: Turtles can have knives too, right? :spyder:
Aus-8 Delica 1 ATS-55 Endura UK Penknife
Positron Mamba Blurple PM2
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Tyrdle wrote:Someone fill me in, what is "the whole flipper nonsense?"

Flipper or not, the knife I'm after is just pure gold and will function just fine without the flipper.

..also cue all the flipper haters. Ugh.
~David
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I like flippers a lot. What I dislike are the ball bearings, and I mean on all Brands and companies not singling out Spyderco. I'm really hoping they will do away with the fail prone fidget spinner parts, and use good old bronze phosphorus washers for a smooth and even opening action. Just my opinion though, apologies to bearing fans.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

ZrowsN1s wrote:I like flippers a lot. What I dislike are the ball bearings, and I mean on all Brands and companies not singling out Spyderco. I'm really hoping they will do away with the fail prone fidget spinner parts, and use good old bronze phosphorus washers for a smooth and even opening action. Just my opinion though, apologies to bearing fans.
It's not even that I disagree, I'm just sick of the whole topic. At this point I wish they'd do away with bearings just for one less thing to complain about all the time. But, even though I actually like the bearings and have had positive experiences with them, I do think bronze washers would be just fine.
~David
Tyrdle

Post by Tyrdle »

Evil D wrote:

Flipper or not, the knife I'm after is just pure gold and will function just fine without the flipper.

That wasn't really helpful, I have no idea what the nonsense we're resolving is and what knife you are talking about. :o
Edit: Okay I realize it's about the Paul Alexander flipper, is there confusion about whether it is a flipper or not? Or something else? ...
pftbahaa

Post by pftbahaa »

ZrowsN1s wrote:I like flippers a lot. What I dislike are the ball bearings, and I mean on all Brands and companies not singling out Spyderco. I'm really hoping they will do away with the fail prone fidget spinner parts, and use good old bronze phosphorus washers for a smooth and even opening action. Just my opinion though, apologies to bearing fans.
+1

I'd even take teflon provided they are only against metal. Plastic are what destroys them and the smoothest folder in my house (of three very different knife collectors) runs on teflon. I would still prefer PB.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Tyrdle wrote:
Evil D wrote:

That wasn't really helpful, I have no idea what the nonsense we're resolving is and what knife you are talking about. :o
Edit: Okay I realize it's about the Paul Alexander flipper, is there confusion about whether it is a flipper or not? Or something else? ...

Oh sorry. All flipper production has been put on hold due to bearing complaints, and many of us are anxiously awaiting a new knife that was due out around this time.
~David
pftbahaa

Post by pftbahaa »

Tyrdle wrote:
Evil D wrote:

It actually about the Advocate. Spyderco released a statement about redesigning the pivot. There were apparently cases of it and occasionally other flippers not functioning 100% as intended. Spyderco is resolving the issue bit in the meantime they've halted production on flippers.
At least that is my understanding, so don't quote me on it.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Evil D wrote:
It's not even that I disagree, I'm just sick of the whole topic.
I understand what you mean. Some folks with sour attitudes and some just out right trolls, have made a few of the threads on this board down right unpleasant to read through. I don't mind critiques, or people voicing their likes and dislikes (this is the place for that), it's the nastiness, negativity, and the complaining that wears my patience thin.
I think we've found a winning strategy on the last Troll thread to pop-up here this week, where people just started posting pictures of birds to the thread.
lovely+colorful+birds.jpg
From now on I hope Trolls are going to get the "bird" on the Spydie forum.

*for the sake of being overly clear, I don't mean to say that anyone on This thread is trolling, just suggesting a practical solution to future issues :D
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Tyrdle

Post by Tyrdle »

Evil D wrote:
Tyrdle wrote:
Evil D wrote:

Oh sorry. All flipper production has been put on hold due to bearing complaints, and many of us are anxiously awaiting a new knife that was due out around this time.
Ah! That makes more sense. I guess I can understand the complaints about bearings-my two Spydie flippers' actions are just okay, not amazing. I did feel it was a bit overdue to be changed.
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

One of the best flippers I own is the discontinued Kershaw RAM - no bearings. I own two knives with bearings: Boker Kwaiken (non-flipper so sort of pointless) and a ZT 0808. While Spyderco is not the only company that's had issues with bearings, they did seem to get more bad press than the others. While I'll admit the whole bearing thing does add some smoothness to the opening, I'm kind of leary of extra stuff that can go wrong. I have no doubt they'll resolve it, just stinks for those waiting on those models.
timlara

Post by timlara »

Evil D wrote:I wouldn't call it a boycott but I don't think there's anything on my list until I can have the Paul Alexander flipper.
Same here. Lots of nice stuff in the catalog this year, but this is the only must-have for me.

I'm not super opinionated on the mechanism one way or the other as I'm sure Taichung will do a good job whatever the case, but I also wouldn't exactly be sad to see it made with a PM2 style pivot.
Tim
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Release the bearings! Muahahahahaaaa! And do birds work better than dogs? My move has always been dog pics. Maybe I need to take more pictures of birds.

On a serious note though, I'm a huge flipper fan, but I'm not excited enough by what's on the horizon. I'm still deeply in love with my Southard and Mantra, and I do wish I had the money for an Advocate, but the Alexander doesn't really speak to me. Maybe the new Southard. Maybe. And wasn't there a Manix flipper mentioned some time ago? Wonder where that's at.
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
AwayFromMySpydieHole

Post by AwayFromMySpydieHole »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Evil D wrote:
I understand what you mean. Some folks with sour attitudes and some just out right trolls, have made a few of the threads on this board down right unpleasant to read through. I don't mind critiques, or people voicing their likes and dislikes (this is the place for that), it's the nastiness, negativity, and the complaining that wears my patience thin.
I think we've found a winning strategy on the last Troll thread to pop-up here this week, where people just started posting pictures of birds to the thread.

*for the sake of being overly clear, I don't mean to say that anyone on This thread is trolling, just suggesting a practical solution to future issues :D

Know what's *really* annoying?

Plugging your ears and calling everyone/every thread you don't like a troll thread.

When you discount every single opinion/anecdote you don't like as being a troll, very stupid, agenda based, etc you can only ever come up with one conclusion. It does no one any good to silence every single opinion that you don't like.

Here's a thought, instead of you guys trashing every thread that offends you - how about just not entering the thread at all? It seems like a much more mature, constructive way to deal with it. As it stands now, the "hive mind" seems like a group of petulant children who cannot dare allow a thread to exist in peace which isn't 100% brown nosing and praise to spyderco.

Spyderco can handle themselves. Sal and Eric are big boys, they don't need their own personal white knights on the forums. Let's just have constructive dialogue about the knives we all love, can we try that? The OP wasn't trolling, the OP simply asked a question. If you're sick of seeing dialogue "about the whole thing" then just.,.........simply don't enter the thread?

Seems simple to me. :confused:
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Aaaaaaaaand there goes this thread. I'll see you guys 5 pages later when this one inevitably blows up like all the other ones.
~David
pftbahaa

Post by pftbahaa »

:) :)
AwayFromMySpydieHole wrote:
ZrowsN1s wrote:
Evil D wrote:

Know what's *really* annoying?

Plugging your ears and calling everyone/every thread you don't like a troll thread.

When you discount every single opinion/anecdote you don't like as being a troll, very stupid, agenda based, etc you can only ever come up with one conclusion. It does no one any good to silence every single opinion that you don't like.

Here's a thought, instead of you guys trashing every thread that offends you - how about just not entering the thread at all? It seems like a much more mature, constructive way to deal with it. As it stands now, the "hive mind" seems like a group of petulant children who cannot dare allow a thread to exist in peace which isn't 100% brown nosing and praise to spyderco.

Spyderco can handle themselves. Sal and Eric are big boys, they don't need their own personal white knights on the forums. Let's just have constructive dialogue about the knives we all love, can we try that? The OP wasn't trolling, the OP simply asked a question. If you're sick of seeing dialogue "about the whole thing" then just.,.........simply don't enter the thread?

Seems simple to me. :confused:
I just want to say I don't really understand what you're on about..

I don't think I was called a troll, for one.

Also this is the Spyderco "Circle Jerk" Forum! Brown nosing is our profession! Not that constructive criticism isn't welcome, of course. What is not welcome is rudeness and bashing the good name of a great company!

No one here is guilty of any aforementioned offences.

Let's all calm down and not get any more negativity strewn about today or ever in this here post! 'Kay?

*drops mic*
*steps down from soap box*
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?