'Field adjustable' screws

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Ippon

'Field adjustable' screws

Post by Ippon »

So last night I took my wife and some friends up a local canyon to have a campfire and roast hotdogs and the like. Of course I took the 'proper' tools to prepare firewood, but I also decided to give my PM2 a little workout. It did great, I was really happy with the use (abuse) that it held up too, and with a sharp edge afterwards too. Anyways, after my so called hard use torture test I did just for funzies, it developed a little side to side play.

When I arrived home, a little loctite in the pivot and readjustment of the screws, and 3 min took that play right out, and it still had a free swinging action. But I had a thought. What if I had caused this blade play at the start of a week backpacking trip? At work? (for whatever reason) and didn't have access to a T10 to tighten the pivot.

So here is my thought. Have a Flathead slot instead of T10. Then anything can be used to adjust the pivot. A coin, a well shaped rock, heck, even a hard piece of wood widdled into the right shape maybe. Has anyone done this? wound there be anywhere I could order a screw that would fit a PM2? Anyways just had a thought and wondered if anyone else had any similar thoughts/ideas.

:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
PayneTrain

Re: 'Field adjustable' screws

Post by PayneTrain »

Well I'd hope I wouldn't have to make any adjustments on the fly. They're supposed to be tight and secure essentially for life, and they're so small and delicate that the less adjustment, the better! I personally would not ask for more easily adjustable screws. If anything, I'd ask for bigger screws!
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

This is exactly why red locktite happened. Hate to play devil's advocate but Spyderco are trying to prevent things like this from happening but riots ensued. Probably your best bet is to do some precautionary locktite work yourself a day before a week of backpacking or get one of the bit driver sets where the bits store inside the handle and take it with you.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

The idea is feasible. Spyderco made one knife like that, the Warren Thomas Karambit. It used slot headed "barrel bolt" screws that could be adjusted with a coin for both the pivot and clip. I suspect that, if there'd been a lot of folks saying "hey this is a great idea" Spyderco would have used it on more knives.

Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

For the record I love the idea. This is why I like the old barrel screw clips. I would be all for having every pivot using this type of screw, it's also larger and probably stronger than the smaller torx screws being used now. I think that karambit looks awesome.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
paladin

Post by paladin »

The Deacon wrote:... I suspect that, if there'd been a lot of folks saying "hey this is a great idea" Spyderco would have used it on more knives....

yup and there's a reason why few said "hey this is a great idea" -- those fasteners worked better in theory than in practice...I've encountered 2 that were similar to those Paul displayed above, but on the clip of the older natives-- the kind with the integral lanyard hole...they were HANDS DOWN the biggest PITA to remove of any Spyderco fasteners I've encountered.

Perhaps they could have been engineered better but the slots were too wide for anything less than coin sized. The problem really came in when I tried to torque them down properly with a flat washer <the only thing I had that fit snugly>-- it kept slipping out and knurled up the fastener with little burrs coming off the head. I believe that was a design limitation of trying to keep the fasteners as low profile as possible, because the slots weren't deep enough.

For a "field" knife, I'd recommend a fixed blade. But if you insist on a one-knife option-- and that option you choose is a folder, grab yourself a Wiha L-shaped torx key or even a micro bit paired with a pocket prybar with the socket to fit the bit to address your concerns. They'll take up minimal pack space. Maybe something similar to this:
http://fusiongear.com.au/nagatac-esr-po ... p-758.html
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
Mora2013

Post by Mora2013 »

Since I take my wire clip on and off often, I subsitituted the male portion of the barrel bolt for the wire clip on my dragonfly 2 with a phillips/flat combination head screw. The original torx was a button head m3 x 0.5 x 5mm. I found a pan head m3 x 0.5 x 6mm fairly easily that worked perfectly.

Since I carry a small Swiss Army knife with me, it can be swapped on and off pretty easily.
RLDubbya

Post by RLDubbya »

:cough:

Emmie

:cough:

Now, look at the difference between a Millie and let's say, a CQC-8. Remember: you can't have everything. All engineering, all design, is a series of compromises in reaching your goal.
npad69

Post by npad69 »

for me, the simplest idea is usually the best so i think you'll be better off with this:

just bring some blue locktite with you just in case.
ASmitty

Post by ASmitty »

Just a quick observation. The screwdriver tip on the nail file on the Victorinox 58mm knives fits in a T10 hole well enough to tighten up a loose pivot screw. It works on a T9 too, but it's nearly too big for that.
Nate

Post by Nate »

I'm in the fixed blade camp. Hard for me to envision wanting or needing to maintain my folder's screw tension or loctite in the field. I'll probably always have a folder on me, but a fixed blade is used for anything even remotely "hard" in the bush.

Big screw heads sitting proud of the scales like the above Karambit would also be a total non-starter for me.
:spyder:
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

Can you imagine the screams about the "cheap" screws Spyderco switched to that allow your driver to slip out and mar the handle? I can almost hear the internet pitch forks rattling...

Also, I agree with fixed blades and camp axes. Just sayin'...
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I usually pack a small screwdriver with bits in the handle for this very reason. I also have a multi tool when i go out in the woods. Even if it's just for a few hrs. I rarely need to adjust a knife pivot in the woods but I'm covered if I do.
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

ASmitty wrote:Just a quick observation. The screwdriver tip on the nail file on the Victorinox 58mm knives fits in a T10 hole well enough to tighten up a loose pivot screw. It works on a T9 too, but it's nearly too big for that.
This is awesome info. Thanks brother! I always have one of those knives on me. :)
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

I like the idea of slotted screws. And I also like the idea that if you want the screws to stay in place then add some loctite of your choice in the amount you deem necessary. Adding loctite is a lot easier then removing it.
Last edited by Bodog on Mon May 22, 2017 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I would not want slotted screws. Either bring the right tool or use another knife.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
ASmitty

Post by ASmitty »

David Lowry wrote:
ASmitty wrote:Just a quick observation. The screwdriver tip on the nail file on the Victorinox 58mm knives fits in a T10 hole well enough to tighten up a loose pivot screw. It works on a T9 too, but it's nearly too big for that.
This is awesome info. Thanks brother! I always have one of those knives on me. :)
Glad I could help out :)