Show me how you carry your tips

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
RLDubbya

Re: Show me how you carry your tips

Post by RLDubbya »

anycal wrote:Recently went down on a bike, with PM2 tip up, IWB of board shorts. Hard landing and a roll. Knife stayed closed.

Most innovative scar of the year award! Freakin' awesome!
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Evil D wrote:I'm really surprised anyone (Lance/modded Military) would carry any knife IWB with tip up. That seems like the most likely way to have a knife open accidentally because gravity will want to pull the blade open. At least in a pocket you can clip it so the blade is up against the side of your pocket. With tip down the blade can only open so far and gravity won't pull it down and open.
FAR safer than tip down IWB if carrying at 1:00-1:30 like I do. The spine of the blade rests in the fold between abdomen and thigh and the thigh acts the same way as the seem of a pocket. The act of walking is constantly putting pressure on the spine and keeping it closed (or closing it if it were to partially open). Even sitting down with a partially open blade is relatively safe as your thigh will naturally push against the spine of the blade (depending on carry position and body type).

Tip down, on the other hand, is a totally different ballgame. If the knife breaks detent, (lets be realistic, this is going to be caused by a jostle or impact, not by gravity) and the knife is partially open then the tip will be pointed directly at the genitals. There is no natural body movement that is going to correct the issue and you probably won't even notice until you sit down. :eek:

I suppose that one could cut themselves carrying a knife IWB regardless of tip orientation but the likelihood (the way I carry) is higher with tip down and the consequences are FAR more dire.

All that said, I think the more important aspect of safety is the type of lock/detent and my tendency to carry IWB is one of many reasons I favor lock backs.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

So when you carry are you clipping it diagonally?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Evil D wrote:So when you carry are you clipping it diagonally?
Yes sir. The pivot angled slightly inward so that the spine rests right in the seam between abdomen/thigh. Aside from feeling it to be safest, I find this to be the most comfortable/least obtrusive position for IWB carry too. I don't know, others will have different ideas but I feel safe carrying that way, even when jumping and scrambling in and out of the kayak. (Backlock only for that type of activity though)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Surfingringo wrote:
Evil D wrote:So when you carry are you clipping it diagonally?
Yes sir. The pivot angled slightly inward so that the spine rests right in the seam between abdomen/thigh. Aside from feeling it to be safest, I find this to be the most comfortable/least obtrusive position for IWB carry too. I don't know, others will have different ideas but I feel safe carrying that way, even when jumping and scrambling in and out of the kayak. (Backlock only for that type of activity though)
Diagonally makes sense especially if you're sitting down in a kayak.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
toeterbaas

Post by toeterbaas »

anycal wrote:Recently went down on a bike, with PM2 tip up, IWB of board shorts. Hard landing and a roll. Knife stayed closed.

Thats a nice one :)
Delica 4 Zome , Lava Silver
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Back locks for me. On a longer knife I usually like tip down, but it depends on how I am carrying it. If in the waist band, then I will modify according to where I am carrying the knife on my body. (I like clip options)

(I have had liner locks come open on me with little seeming provocation and I got cut a couple of times. Thankfully, not badly, but still, it is not as safe as a back lock. In fact, this is one issue that brought me back to Spyderco for a pocket knife. The frame lock I was using as a pocket knife came open on me a couple of times and though I did not get cut on these instances, I knew it was a matter of time, so I bought a back lock Spydie of the same dimensions and never looked back.)
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
RLDubbya

Post by RLDubbya »

Doc Dan wrote:Back locks for me. On a longer knife I usually like tip down, but it depends on how I am carrying it. If in the waist band, then I will modify according to where I am carrying the knife on my body. (I like clip options)

(I have had liner locks come open on me with little seeming provocation and I got cut a couple of times. Thankfully, not badly, but still, it is not as safe as a back lock. In fact, this is one issue that brought me back to Spyderco for a pocket knife. The frame lock I was using as a pocket knife came open on me a couple of times and though I did not get cut on these instances, I knew it was a matter of time, so I bought a back lock Spydie of the same dimensions and never looked back.)
Yes, I was hoping you would chime in, good sir. I remember you mentioned this. Have you looked at the Szabo with "forced closure"? Thoughts?
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

This is how I carry most of my "clipped" knives (my Yojimbo 2 is "clip-less" and sitting horizontal as well out of view in the coin pocket, it's a very wide and deep coin pocket you could fit a cell phone in it)
zHorizontalCarry.jpg
zwclip.jpg
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Doc Dan wrote:.....I will modify according to where I am carrying the knife on my body. (I like clip options)
^This for the win! We all have different needs. This debate comes up from time to time and it is definitely one of those topics where there's no right or wrong as how you carry depends on SO many factors. I wish all knives could be made with 4-way clip option.
brj

Post by brj »

I don't like fobs or lanyards on my knives, so I tend to purchase/use models with longer handles. I carry either tip down in the right front pocket (usually a Millie) while wearing jeans, or tip up IWB at 3:30 (usually a Pacific Salt) while wearing shorts.

I've only had one Millie opening up on me, but it was one of the older models (with a somehow looser detente) and I jiggled it all day long in one cargo pocket. No harm done and from the looks of it, tip down was the safer carry option in this instance.