price increase

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sather

price increase

Post by sather »

I recently lost my Endura that I have had for maybe 5 years. I was shocked to see that they have almost doubled in price. Why such an increase? Please educate me.
Surfingringo

Re: price increase

Post by Surfingringo »

Welcome to the forum Sather. :)

An endura cost $72 today. How much were you paying for one in 2012?

Spyderco did move to MAP pricing a couple of years ago which caused a small increase in street price on most models. That plus normal inflation has caused the price of endura to go up a small percentage in the last 5 years but no more than a loaf of bread I'd imagine.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Yeah I paid almost $70 for my first Delica in 2010 and around $80 for my Native around 2005.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
jdw

Post by jdw »

I realize that you are just trolling but a guess for any price increase would be supply and demand, increase in cost of materials, increase in labor costs or some combination of the above. IMO the Endura is still one of the best knife deals around.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

I think it depends where the OP comes from. I bought my Delica for about 70 euro in 2013 and today they're being sold for about 110 over here in Europe.
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

sather wrote:I recently lost my Endura that I have had for maybe 5 years. I was shocked to see that they have almost doubled in price. Why such an increase? Please educate me.
Don't have a 2012 price sheet, but in 2009 an Endura with a black FRN handle and VG-10 blade had an MSRP of $94.95. Today, 8 years later, the same Endura has an MSRP of $119.95. So closer to a 25% increase in 8 years, or about a 3% per year increase. Can't see it having gone down in price in 2012 so I suspect that either you bought it used, or your memory's faulty.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
ZMW

Post by ZMW »

Depends on the where they bought it. I got my first Delica off Amazon a couple years ago for maybe $50-$55. My only amazon purchase for a spydie
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Welcome to the forum sather. If you had been here last week you would have seen the 20% off deal on eBAY. I can't recall the exact amount but I think the Endura's were around $55.00. Don't hold me to the amount as I didn't purchase one. Perhaps someone else can tell you what they paid. Shop around you may find a good deal. With father's day coming up there may be specials running. Take care. :spyder:
Capt'n Boatsalot

Post by Capt'n Boatsalot »

Tdog wrote:Welcome to the forum sather. If you had been here last week you would have seen the 20% off deal on eBAY. I can't recall the exact amount but I think the Endura's were around $55.00. Don't hold me to the amount as I didn't purchase one. Perhaps someone else can tell you what they paid. Shop around you may find a good deal. With father's day coming up there may be specials running. Take care. :spyder:
$46 for my brown one! :cool:
tripscheck'em

Post by tripscheck'em »

sather wrote:I recently lost my Endura that I have had for maybe 5 years. I was shocked to see that they have almost doubled in price. Why such an increase? Please educate me.
Spyderco instituted a price floor because third-party vendors on Amazon and Ebay, and others like knifeworks and cutleryshoppe who don't have any overhead at all were able to flex the muscle of their superior business model and run top-heavy gougers like knifecenter.com and bentoboxshop out of town. And they whined and complained and threatened to blacklist Spyderco, so Spyderco kow-towed to them under the pretense of retailing diversification, and Amazon was turned into a boogeyman.

I'm proud to say I haven't bought a single new Spyderco since 2015. In fact, I've sold all of them off besides a brand new Delica I got for $36 bucks off Amazon and a barely used serrated Manix 2 in 154-cm I got for $63 dollars off Ebay the other day. Not only do I refuse the MAP, but I'm also kinda tired of the Spyderco marketing rat-race as well, there's more than enough shills here floating the company by collecting exquisite pocket-jewelry from Taiwan.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

tripscheck'em wrote:
Spyderco instituted a price floor because third-party vendors on Amazon and Ebay, and others like knifeworks and cutleryshoppe who don't have any overhead at all were able to flex the muscle of their superior business model and run top-heavy gougers like knifecenter.com and bentoboxshop out of town. And they whined and complained and threatened to blacklist Spyderco, so Spyderco kow-towed to them under the pretense of retailing diversification, and Amazon was turned into a boogeyman.

I'm proud to say I haven't bought a single new Spyderco since 2015. In fact, I've sold all of them off besides a brand new Delica I got for $36 bucks off Amazon and a barely used serrated Manix 2 in 154-cm I got for $63 dollars off Ebay the other day. Not only do I refuse the MAP, but I'm also kinda tired of the Spyderco marketing rat-race as well, there's more than enough shills here floating the company by collecting exquisite pocket-jewelry from Taiwan.
You don't buy new Spyderco's anymore, sold off almost every single one you did own, think we're a bunch of shills here, but still frequent the forum? Weird. I don't waste my time hanging out on forums for stuff I'm not in to.

Oh well, guess I'll just take my Taiwanese pocket jewelry and go cut some stuff with it. :rolleyes:
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

jdw wrote:I realize that you are just trolling but a guess for any price increase would be supply and demand, increase in cost of materials, increase in labor costs or some combination of the above. IMO the Endura is still one of the best knife deals around.
Ditto me on this and then some. :)
"No matter where you go, there you are"
chrisjohn

Post by chrisjohn »

Maybe because I used to buy 32 dollar endures via aafes but those were ats 55, full frn, no liners. Now the endura is vg10 and has steel liners with metal clip. Just saying. Still a lot of performance for sixty some odd dollars. Are they over priced? Sure compared to some of Kershaw and CRKT pieces.
Holzfaeller

Post by Holzfaeller »

It seems to me that there is a trend toward higher end knives with an aggregate increase in price. People want better steels, better fit and finish, fewer people are satisfied with linerless FRN. On the other hand, there are knives that offer more performance than their price would suggest, take Morakniv, for example. The Delica and Endura are reasonably priced for their quality. I would like to see Spyderco offer more variety in this range.
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

Johnnie1801 wrote:I think it depends where the OP comes from. I bought my Delica for about 70 euro in 2013 and today they're being sold for about 110 over here in Europe.
True. There was a topic here about it.
mattman

Post by mattman »

jabba359 wrote:
tripscheck'em wrote:

You don't buy new Spyderco's anymore, sold off almost every single one you did own, think we're a bunch of shills here, but still frequent the forum? Weird. I don't waste my time hanging out on forums for stuff I'm not in to.

Oh well, guess I'll just take my Taiwanese pocket jewelry and go cut some stuff with it. :rolleyes:
This needs a "drops mic" emoji.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I thought shills got paid or got free stuff? Where's my free stuff? Fanboys? Sure. Shills? Nah... I don't think that word means what you think it means.

So you just come here to complain or am I missing something?
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

bearfacedkiller wrote:I thought shills got paid or got free stuff? Where's my free stuff? Fanboys? Sure. Shills? Nah... I don't think that word means what you think it means.

So you just come here to complain or am I missing something?
Nope. Well, I guess you kind of missed pointing out that by correctly identifying us as fanboys we are automatically excluded from being shills. Shills pretend to be un-biased, where as most of us wear our bias on our sleeves (and pockets...and sigs....and...and...).
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I just may be missing something here, and I am not trying to come off as if I seem attacking towards the original post BUT.....I just do not get the point or edge of this starting post. Spyderco produces a wide range of quality knives, both inexpensive and more expensive, for every cutlery taste and use. There are lower priced Byrd and Economy models such as the Tenacious, and there are more expensive models, such as the Tatanka, Mamba, D`Allara, and in-between priced-models, such as the various manifestations of the Endura, Pacific and Atlantic Salts, and numerous others.

Spyderco exemplifies quality and excellent design. Can you find 10-20 dollar "Assisted Openers" and "Survival Pocket Knives" out there, with cheapo serrations and coatings? Ofcourse. There is a market for all of that. But when you open the dictionary to the phrase "Quality Knife", you will find Spyderco there. Its that simple and straight forward.

I will go so far as to say that the lower priced Spyderco models, such as the Byrd and Economy lines, are better quality than most other folders for sale in the 20-50 dollar range, and are well worth it.
AncientSpydieOwner

Post by AncientSpydieOwner »

If I could add a long view on Spyderco price increases...I first discovered Spyderco knives in about 1995, and I thought they looked like the knife of the future. The first one I purchased was a Ladybug, for under $20. Adjusting for inflation that would be just under $30 today. I see now that a Ladybug MSRPs for right at $60. I see you can buy them on Amazon for $43. The next Spyderco I bought in 1997, a Delica, and IIRC I paid just under $40 for it, which I remember being a stretch for me as a college student. That would be a little over $60 adjusted for inflation. Now they MSRP for $115, on Amazon for $75. Of course back in the mid-90s, Amazon was still just selling books and there weren't all these online sources undercutting each others' prices to get our business, (I actually "sent away" for both knives via US mail from Brigade Quartermaster's print catalog) so I was probably paying close to MSRP.

Both knives were AUS-8, and now I see they are using VG-10, not up on my steels so not sure how much more expensive the latter is as a raw material. The Ladybug went missing some years ago after several years of EDC (though I expect it is in my house somewhere), but I still have the Delica, and it is in fantastic shape, despite being used as a dive knife in the Caribbean and East Africa, as well as years as my kayaking knife in salt water. Never had a problem with that AUS-8 cutting through rope, fishing line, etc. All it ever needed was a thin coating of silicone grease to keep from spotting. So maybe the VG-10 is a better steel, but at least for my purposes, AUS-8 was good enough and the price was right.

So my assessment of the pricing situation is that Spyderco's MSRPs have vastly outpaced inflation, and it is only the rise of high competition among online retailers that allows people to purchase Spydercos at "only" ~40% above what inflation should have made them cost. AUS-8 Spydercos were very serviceable knives, so I have trouble imagining VG-10 could be more than a simple incremental improvement in quality not justifying doubling the value of the knife even when adjusting for inflation.