Bad Customer Service

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Your Repair/Sharpening Experiences With Spyderco?

Good Sharpening & Good Repair
45%
Good Repair
29%
Good Sharpening
10%
Bad Repair & Good Sharpening
2%
Good Repair & Bad Sharpening
4%
Bad Repair & Bad Sharpening
2%
Bad Repair
8%
Bad Sharpening
No votes

Total votes: 51

Evil D

Re: Bad Customer Service

Post by Evil D »

Doc Dan wrote:You guys never learn! You fell right into the troll trap, again. HaHaHa!

Not me! LOL
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

I never sent a knife to Spyderco for warranty so I can't really participate in the poll.

There are some knives that after serious use developed some issues that I retired. I can't blame Spyderco because the knife I carried for years finally wore out. If I got a knife straight from a dealer that had issues I would send it back to the dealer.

I guess what I am getting at is how long did these issues take to develop for warranty work? Where the knives flipped, dropped or in anyway abused? Did you have them a few weeks with gentle opening or are they years old? Or somewhere in between. I am just curious.

At what point is it warranty work versus a knife that has worn out?

I do think if you don't want your knives sharpened and did not ask for it, that it should not happen.
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

I don't think the OP is coming back... :confused: :rolleyes:
Josh
LDB

Post by LDB »

I've never sent anything in but one important point to remember in life, paragraphs are your friend.
anycal

Post by anycal »

LDB wrote:I've never sent anything in but one important point to remember in life, paragraphs are your friend.
ha ... almost chocked on the orange i just cut up with my N5.
Peter
palonej

Post by palonej »

murphjd25 wrote:I don't think the OP is coming back... :confused: :rolleyes:
Nope!! His job is done here Josh!!
At least booooodog got another chance to tell Sal how to run the company though. I wonder if he receives consulting fees for the priceless information he imparts??
Joe
:p :D :confused: :spyder:
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

When this thread reaches 7 pages of text walls I'm going to buy another knife :D
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

palonej wrote:
murphjd25 wrote:I don't think the OP is coming back... :confused: :rolleyes:
Nope!! His job is done here Josh!!
At least booooodog got another chance to tell Sal how to run the company though. I wonder if he receives consulting fees for the priceless information he imparts??
Joe
:p :D :confused: :spyder:

Bravo sir, yet another pointless (and false) but inflammatory post that serves to do nothing but provoke animosity. Good job, sir. Don't let etiquette, common courtesy, truth, or even common sense dictate your posts. You're fine just the way you are.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
fanglekai

Post by fanglekai »

My Domino developed very gritty action after about 2.5 years of use. I sent it in and it came back very smooth. The sharpening (that I did not request) was good. None of my other Spyderco knives have needed warranty work.
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

My exact scenario isn't listed, but chose the closest one.

It was the same issue someone else posted, who said they had a negative experience. Charlynn was very friendly and helpful to me.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Evil D wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:You guys never learn! You fell right into the troll trap, again. HaHaHa!

Not me! LOL
Tell me how many :spyder: do you have and I will tell you if you love Spyderco. :D
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Knutty

Post by Knutty »

I once spent $150,000,000 on a Spyderco, and it was awful. It caught fire and melted in my hand, and I lost my right arm. I sent it to Spyderco, and they melted it down and mailed it back to me with a note that said "F*** Y***!!!". I cried and cried and this is my last breath. I swear once I dry these tears, I'm doing myself in. I can't figure out why I post stupid crap on forums, but by golly, it makes up for all those lost hugs. I swear it does. If I rock back and forth and repeat "LOST HUGS" I feel so warm inside. Thank you Sal for melting my knife.
"We have more metal parts fail than plastic parts. Modern plastics are tough. 'Feeling cheap' may be a false perception and one might need more education. We rarely get a FRN knife back with handle problems and we have millions of them out in daily use. " --Sal Glesser
palonej

Post by palonej »

Knutty wrote:I once spent $150,000,000 on a Spyderco, and it was awful. It caught fire and melted in my hand, and I lost my right arm. I sent it to Spyderco, and they melted it down and mailed it back to me with a note that said "F*** Y***!!!". I cried and cried and this is my last breath. I swear once I dry these tears, I'm doing myself in. I can't figure out why I post stupid crap on forums, but by golly, it makes up for all those lost hugs. I swear it does. If I rock back and forth and repeat "LOST HUGS" I feel so warm inside. Thank you Sal for melting my knife.

Think you got it bad???? My darn Spydeeco knife exploded in my hand when slicing phone book paper!
I lost a leg. Just horrible QC!!
I blame Charlynn!
Darn her!!
AlwaysTomboy

Post by AlwaysTomboy »

I sent my Jade PM2 in for cleaning. I'm a goof and ended up with rust between the liners and the scales and because it's translucent, I could see it and it bothered me. I tried to disassemble, got stopped by red loctite, realized if I kept going I was going to strip the screws, put it back together and sent it off to Spyderco with a letter explaining everything and disclosing that I'd partially disassembled it, etc.

Photos and other details over on bladeforums in this post.

My only complaint, for lack of a better word, is that it wasn't clear when I got it back what, if any, work had been done. It looked the same, so I wasn't sure if they'd gotten my request mixed up with someone else's and had sharpened it instead of cleaning it, or if they'd tried to clean it and that was the best they could do, or if it slipped through the cracks and got sent back without any work at all. Hey, people are human; stuff happens; no harm, no foul, but I had no way of knowing for sure what exactly was done. A note on the paperwork that it was returned with, or a copy of the work order to let me know the actions taken, would have helped.

Charlynn was awesome and super nice and helpful when I emailed to get more info and explained the situation. She sent me a pre-paid return shipping label so I could send it back for a second evaluation, they disassembled it, cleaned it and send it back to me for no extra charge. When it came back a second time, there was a note on the paperwork that they'd done their best but they couldn't remove all of the discoloration, but it looked worlds better regardless.

I would have rather not have had to send it back a second time, but it didn't cost me anything other than a little bit of time without the knife, which is no big deal, and I'm very pleased with the end result.

I also sent in a Jester with a very worn down serrated edge and they did a good job of regrinding the serrations and making it functional again.
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

Johnnie1801 wrote:When this thread reaches 7 pages of text walls I'm going to buy another knife :D
Bump for 7...
GoJuGuy628

Post by GoJuGuy628 »

LDB wrote:I've never sent anything in but one important point to remember in life, paragraphs are your friend.
Got me lol. The rant ended up being longer than expected. :D
GoJuGuy628

Post by GoJuGuy628 »

Archimedes wrote:
I guess what I am getting at is how long did these issues take to develop for warranty work? Where the knives flipped, dropped or in anyway abused? Did you have them a few weeks with gentle opening or are they years old? Or somewhere in between. I am just curious.
Manix had play out of the box.Endura had been used hard for about a year but no blade play was ever noticed. It was only after cleaning out the knife after a waterstone sharpening session that it developed blade play. I disassembled it, cleaned the lock face and notch on the blade tang, and reassembled it to factory specification, as per the the new warranty. No improvement or worsening in the amount of play was noticed. :confused:
GoJuGuy628

Post by GoJuGuy628 »

bh49 wrote:I am wondering, if you send a note along with knives, stating you need repair only?
Yes. Although I didn't specifically request the knives NOT be sharpened, I was under the impression that they would not be unless it was specifically asked for... :confused:
GoJuGuy628

Post by GoJuGuy628 »

Last edited by GoJuGuy628 on Sun May 21, 2017 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

GoJuGuy628 wrote:
bh49 wrote:I am wondering, if you send a note along with knives, stating you need repair only?
Yes. Although I didn't specifically request the knives NOT be sharpened, I was under the impression that they would not be unless it was specifically asked for... :confused:
Probably they have something like SOP and sharpening every blade. Sorry that they destroyed your work.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian