Bad Customer Service

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Your Repair/Sharpening Experiences With Spyderco?

Good Sharpening & Good Repair
45%
Good Repair
29%
Good Sharpening
10%
Bad Repair & Good Sharpening
2%
Good Repair & Bad Sharpening
4%
Bad Repair & Bad Sharpening
2%
Bad Repair
8%
Bad Sharpening
No votes

Total votes: 51

greencobra

Re: Bad Customer Service

Post by greencobra »

i've used warranty repair once. i hate having to send something, anything, back for repairs but the experience was better than most. never talked to anyone personally but got a nice reply to my contact email before the close of that business day and my knife was returned exactly in the time frame they quoted. pretty routine.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Having been in some form of customer support for more years than many of you have been alive, I can say that politeness goes a very long way with support providers. It is not an easy job only dealing with the negatives and I always try to cut the person on the other end a little slack.
That said, you should not settle for substandard work.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
palonej

Post by palonej »

I have had 2 experiences with Charlynn and both turned out better than I had hoped.
I won't send an e mail, I would rather call and speak with someone to explain my concerns and find the best way to proceed.
My sons bought me a Ti Millie from GP when they were on sale for $189. It was a couple months before Christmas. The knife sat in the box till they allowed me to open in on Christmas. It had vertical play that could not be adjusted out.
Spoke with Charlynn and explained the situation. She had me send the knife and 2 weeks later a brand new one arrived!!
She was such a pleasure to deal with, I sent her flowers as a thank you.
Like JR stated, be polite and deal with the person respectfully. More times than not, they will go above and beyond.
Charlynn gets a huge thumbs up from me!
Just sharing my experience.
Joe
bh49

Post by bh49 »

within last ten years I sent several knives to Spyderco for warranty issues, all for cosmetic defects. All of them were replaced with new pieces. Turn around can be a little better. The only one knife I sent to Spyderco for sharpening. My brand new orange Dodo, which I purchased from NGK came absolutely dull. Spyderco put micro-bevel. I was quite disapointed, but was explained that micro-beveling is acceptable method of repair at Spyderco.
So my experience with CS is OK.
GoJuGuy628 wrote:I recently had 2 of my Spyderco knives sent in for repair. My Endura 4 FFG, which had severe vertical blade play, as well as a pocket clip that would not screw into the handle, and my Manix 2, which had horizontal blade play.
I am wondering, if you send a note along with knives, stating you need repair only?
Last edited by bh49 on Wed May 17, 2017 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

You guys never learn! You fell right into the troll trap, again. HaHaHa!
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
D-Roc

Post by D-Roc »

I'm curious if posting a poll about having a bad customer experience with them, especially on their forum will get better results as opposed to calling and speaking to them. ;)
:spyder: MEMBRE DE L'ORDRE INTERNATIONALE SPYDEREDGE :spyder:
bh49

Post by bh49 »

AwayFromMySpydieHole wrote: Before anyone starts, please don't come at me like I have something against spyderco. Unless you own over a few hundred spyderco's I'm almost certain I own more than you do. Probably more than 2x. I love spyderco, but I'll also call a spade a spade.
I can be wrong, but for some reason I thought that quantity of knives in your collection it is a measure for the depth of your pocket and not the love to whatever you have????????? :confused: :confused:
According to your logic, any member here has only half of Spyderco, which I own, this mean that my love to Spyderco twice as big. I would even say twice as huge. :) What, if I will have to sell half of my knives? Would my love go down twice?
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Molle Ninja

Post by Molle Ninja »

Sent a new PM2 in because it had a bunch of issues (missing screws, stripped screw holes, uneven sharpening, etc.

The knife came back with about two mms less blade material. Looked ridiculous. Got rid of the knife as a result and bought a new one.

Probably should've just returned it to the dealer. Lesson learned. Also ridiculous that I paid for shipping.
AwayFromMySpydieHole

Post by AwayFromMySpydieHole »

bh49 wrote:
AwayFromMySpydieHole wrote: Before anyone starts, please don't come at me like I have something against spyderco. Unless you own over a few hundred spyderco's I'm almost certain I own more than you do. Probably more than 2x. I love spyderco, but I'll also call a spade a spade.
I can be wrong, but for some reason I thought that quantity of knives in your collection it is a measure for the depth of your pocket and not the love to whatever you have????????? :confused: :confused:
According to your logic, any member here has only half of Spyderco, which I own, this mean that my love to Spyderco twice as big. I would even say twice as huge. :) What, if I will have to sell half of my knives? Would my love go down twice?

Let's use Occams razor here. What's more likely, that a person buys many many of an item he likes, or that he dislikes?

I'll let you decide.
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

For what it's worth, I have had many dealings on a variety of subjects with Charlynn, in Spyderco's W. & R. Department. Charlynn has always, without exception, treated me 110% in all ways. She has never failed to respond to an email from me, and I know her days are very busy. I consider her to be one of my personal friends and, although we have never met, if I am ever fortunate enough to visit Spyderco in Golden, I hope to be able to thank her in person for all her kindness to me. For me, Charlynn is representative of what Spyderco is all about and why Spyderco is pleasantly "different" as a company.

Just my view from my side of the fence .......

Dave
AwayFromMySpydieHole

Doc Dan wrote:You guys never learn! You fell right into the troll trap, again. HaHaHa!

Yes, call anyone that isn't brown nosing a troll, or stupid, call them a liar or say they have an axe to grind. Let's totally write off any opinion/anecdote that isn't 100% glowing!

That's the best way to have productive dialogue about a brand we all love.
Last edited by AwayFromMySpydieHole on Wed May 17, 2017 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
AwayFromMySpydieHole

I am catching on!

Obviously a troll:
Molle Ninja wrote:Sent a new PM2 in because it had a bunch of issues (missing screws, stripped screw holes, uneven sharpening, etc.

The knife came back with about two mms less blade material. Looked ridiculous. Got rid of the knife as a result and bought a new one.

Probably should've just returned it to the dealer. Lesson learned. Also ridiculous that I paid for shipping.

Obviously not a troll:
El Gato wrote:For what it's worth, I have had many dealings on a variety of subjects with Charlynn, in Spyderco's W. & R. Department. Charlynn has always, without exception, treated me 110% in all ways. She has never failed to respond to an email from me, and I know her days are very busy. I consider her to be one of my personal friends and, although we have never met, if I am ever fortunate enough to visit Spyderco in Golden, I hope to be able to thank her in person for all her kindness to me. For me, Charlynn is representative of what Spyderco is all about and why Spyderco is pleasantly "different" as a company.

Dave
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

I've sent two knives in over the twenty years I've owned Spyderco knives (currently at 100+, so I must only love them half as much as some people, but at the same time love them 38% more than other people ;)).

The first I sent in was a combo edge Tenacious from the very first run in 2008. I had cut some plastic pallet banding and the very tips of the serrations had folded over. After posting on the forum in a respectful manner, Sal had me mail it in to his attention. I also included a chunk of the material I had cut to help with their assessment. Long story short, I got a new knife in return with a note explaining how the serrations had been cut incorrectly at the factory and that issue was now addressed.

The second one I sent in was my serrated Delica 3 for sharpening (in 2008 or 2009). It came back with the blade looking like new and super sharp. Soon after I bought a Sharpmaker, so now I can sharpen my own.

Of course, this is just my experience, which has been entirely positive: only one knife two knives out of the 125 or so I've purchased needing warranty work and ending up with a perfect replacement/resolution. I don't mean this to discredit any bad experiences, as evidenced by people not getting satisfactory service.

Just a thought, but titling the thread "bad customer service" when the poll asks about bad and good sets a particular tone from the start. Why even bother having a poll since "bad" is already a forgone conclusion based on your thread title and experience?

Edit: forgot I sent in my first Caly3 in 2009 that was so gritty I could barely open it with my thumb. They either cleaned it out or sent me a different one, as it opened fine when I got it back and it continues to open fine to this day.
Last edited by jabba359 on Wed May 17, 2017 12:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Holzfaeller

Post by Holzfaeller »

I have been routinely disappointed by Spyderco warrantee service. I sent two knives at different times for repairs with a letter clearly stating my concern. Both times the knife was returned sharpened, but unrepaired and without any explanation from Spyderco. By contrast, Spyderco's six-legged competitor reassembled a knife that I had received in a bag and was missing parts. I had told them that I was not the original owner and that I expected to pay for the service and it was returned in perfect fettle with an invoice for $0. Spyderco makes a good product, except when they don't, but their customer service is substandard.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

AwayFromMySpydieHole wrote:Last time was in 2009 I believe. But, at that time I was a little less than pleased.

I sent back an M4 tan manix that had blade play...
Just FYI, either your timeline recollection is off by a couple years, or you're thinking of a different knife. Tan Manix 2 didn't come out until 2011. Not that the exact date really changes anything about your experience.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Molle Ninja

Post by Molle Ninja »

AwayFromMySpydieHole wrote:I am catching on!

Obviously a troll:
Molle Ninja wrote:Sent a new PM2 in because it had a bunch of issues (missing screws, stripped screw holes, uneven sharpening, etc.

Obviously not a troll:
El Gato wrote:For what it's worth, I have had many dealings on a variety of subjects with Charlynn, in Spyderco's W. & R. Department. Charlynn has always, without exception, treated me 110% in all ways. She has never failed to respond to an email from me, and I know her days are very busy. I consider her to be one of my personal friends and, although we have never met, if I am ever fortunate enough to visit Spyderco in Golden, I hope to be able to thank her in person for all her kindness to me. For me, Charlynn is representative of what Spyderco is all about and why Spyderco is pleasantly "different" as a company.

Dave
Exactly. I'm someone who continues to buy Spyderco knives even after a poor CS experience.
AwayFromMySpydieHole

jabba359 wrote:
AwayFromMySpydieHole wrote:Last time was in 2009 I believe. But, at that time I was a little less than pleased.

I sent back an M4 tan manix that had blade play...
Just FYI, either your timeline recollection is off by a couple years, or you're thinking of a different knife. Tan Manix 2 didn't come out until 2011. Not that the exact date really changes anything about your experience.

My timeline is just off obviously. Years blend together....sadly. I know the knife for sure, because I still have it. :D
anycal

Post by anycal »

Things break, people make mistakes. Expecting 100% perfection from a $100 item 100% of the time, disappointment coming your way.

These topics come up now and then. Folks get their drawers in a bunch. Makes them feel better voicing their experience - therapy. Then they go away; topic goes away. This too shall pass.

Anecdotal evidence suggest that s***t happens. Either walk away or accept it.
Peter
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I've never had a problem with a Spyderco.

FWIW I don't think it unreasonable that painted/coated parts have to be assembled in a different manner to non painted/coated. Any coating is going to wear, and sooner on parts in contact.
ejames13

Post by ejames13 »

AwayFromMySpydieHole wrote:The "j" shape near the ricasso is a big problem with spyderco as of late I hate to say. Something is going on with their method of sharpening lately, which is both removing way too much material and simultaneously terminating the plunge too early. Effectively leaving 1/16 to 1/8 (yes, I have a knife that bad) of the blade heel unsharpened.

It's ugly, and amateur to be honest. The biggest trouble is the amount of material removed needlessly.

Before anyone starts, please don't come at me like I have something against spyderco. Unless you own over a few hundred spyderco's I'm almost certain I own more than you do. Probably more than 2x. I love spyderco, but I'll also call a spade a spade.
I've noticed the J shape too. It's especially obvious if you look at the original run of M390 Para 2's vs the latest run. I think it has something to do with them using robotic sharpening methods in Golden now.