Why not a Native Salt?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
User avatar
tonijedi
Member
Posts: 660
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:08 am
Location: Portugal

Why not a Native Salt?

Postby tonijedi » Sun May 14, 2017 3:30 pm

I mean, it was already (kind of) made with the Never Summer exclusive, there's an entire line of Salt Series (meaning there's costumer interest for years now).
Is it happening? :rolleyes:

User avatar
JRinFL
Member
Posts: 352
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:30 am
Location: Unfashionable West End of the Galaxy

Re: Why not a Native Salt?

Postby JRinFL » Sun May 14, 2017 3:35 pm

tonijedi wrote:I mean, it was already (kind of) made with the Never Summer exclusive, there's an entire line of Salt Series (meaning there's costumer interest for years now).
Is it happening? :rolleyes:
This should happen, please Sal!
Used to be JR in CT with a much earlier join date. :rolleyes: :spyder: Native in 440v was my gateway Spyderco! :spyder:

User avatar
ZrowsN1s
Member
Posts: 4903
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:08 pm
Location: San Diego, California USA

Re: Why not a Native Salt?

Postby ZrowsN1s » Sun May 14, 2017 6:16 pm

I like the Native Salt ;) a lot, it has replaced both my DFly Salt and my Tasman in my EDC rotation more than I thought it would. When I need an 'all weather'/pool/beach/food prep knife, I've been reaching for the lc200n native more often than not.
zn5.jpg
Carrying 3 knives is perfectly normal :D
-Matt

User avatar
Revival
Member
Posts: 469
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:54 am
Location: The 9th Island

Re: Why not a Native Salt?

Postby Revival » Sun May 14, 2017 10:56 pm

Yes please!

Kid Shamrock
Member
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:15 pm

Re: Why not a Native Salt?

Postby Kid Shamrock » Mon May 15, 2017 2:55 am

I would like to see a Salt version of the Native 5 LW, with serrated H1, yellow scales and wire pocket clip. I think it would be awesome!!

User avatar
abbazaba
Member
Posts: 3061
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:40 pm
Location: New England

Re: Why not a Native Salt?

Postby abbazaba » Mon May 15, 2017 12:01 pm

Seems like a LC200N plain edge LW is inevitable at this point, and I'm kinda surprised it hasn't happened yet. They might be waiting to drop another model first (the Mule just came out), or a complete revamp of the Salt series with LC200N?

User avatar
ZrowsN1s
Member
Posts: 4903
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:08 pm
Location: San Diego, California USA

Re: Why not a Native Salt?

Postby ZrowsN1s » Mon May 15, 2017 12:45 pm

abbazaba wrote:.... or a complete revamp of the Salt series with LC200N?
I suspect this will happen, from what I have seen in my own use H1 has no advantages over Lc200n in regards to corrosion resistance, and Lc200n holds a better edge and can be heat treated unlike work hardened H1. (I'm not sure what the cost difference is to produce the steel)
Carrying 3 knives is perfectly normal :D
-Matt

User avatar
tonijedi
Member
Posts: 660
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:08 am
Location: Portugal

Re: Why not a Native Salt?

Postby tonijedi » Mon May 15, 2017 1:31 pm

ZrowsN1s wrote:
abbazaba wrote:.... or a complete revamp of the Salt series with LC200N?
I suspect this will happen, from what I have seen in my own use H1 has no advantages over Lc200n in regards to corrosion resistance, and Lc200n holds a better edge and can be heat treated unlike work hardened H1. (I'm not sure what the cost difference is to produce the steel)
Besides cost and other logistics there's also one question that still needs to be answered: lc200n performance with serrations.

User avatar
Knife Knut
Member
Posts: 1038
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:33 am
Location: South Carolina

Re: Why not a Native Salt?

Postby Knife Knut » Mon May 15, 2017 2:05 pm

Just extrapolating here:
LC200N has enough Carbon and Nitrogen in it to be properly hardened via heat treat, unlike H1. Between that fact, and the 1% (instead of 2% with H1) that will still help with work hardening, I suspect it will work just fine for serrations. Keep in mind, the main reason the Salt series is mainly serrated is that H1 performs much better in that edge configuration due to it's work hardening properties.

As a personal note, another good reason for the Fish Hunter to be a tester for LC200N viewtopic.php?f=2&t=74108&p=1146392#p1146392

JAfromMN
Member
Posts: 1487
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:41 pm
Location: MN

Re: Why not a Native Salt?

Postby JAfromMN » Mon May 15, 2017 2:27 pm

Lol I was just thinking this

User avatar
cabfrank
Member
Posts: 654
Joined: Sun May 08, 2011 9:07 pm

Re: Why not a Native Salt?

Postby cabfrank » Mon May 15, 2017 2:36 pm

I read somewhere that H1 is not going anywhere. I believe it, and I hope I am right.

User avatar
ZrowsN1s
Member
Posts: 4903
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:08 pm
Location: San Diego, California USA

Re: Why not a Native Salt?

Postby ZrowsN1s » Mon May 15, 2017 2:41 pm

tonijedi wrote:
ZrowsN1s wrote:
abbazaba wrote:.... or a complete revamp of the Salt series with LC200N?
I suspect this will happen, from what I have seen in my own use H1 has no advantages over Lc200n in regards to corrosion resistance, and Lc200n holds a better edge and can be heat treated unlike work hardened H1. (I'm not sure what the cost difference is to produce the steel)
Besides cost and other logistics there's also one question that still needs to be answered: lc200n performance with serrations.
So far, so good. No issues in 5 months of light EDC.
zmess4c.jpg
Carrying 3 knives is perfectly normal :D
-Matt

User avatar
ZrowsN1s
Member
Posts: 4903
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:08 pm
Location: San Diego, California USA

Re: Why not a Native Salt?

Postby ZrowsN1s » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:15 pm

So I've been carrying the LC200N Native about a year now. This knife really needs to be mass produced. I love the native platform, and the LC200N version is just a winner all round. It's "salty" (corrosion resistant), and takes a very nice fine edge with respectable edge retention (I'm surprised at how high the initial sharpness is) . I've only ever liked two combo edge knives in my many years of collecting, this is one of them.

Gave the edge a nice polish with my leather strops and diamond paste the other day, and power stropped the serrations with my dremel :D
20171128_155423.jpg
20171128_150854.jpg
20171128_151230.jpg
Carrying 3 knives is perfectly normal :D
-Matt

User avatar
sal
Member
Posts: 12591
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:00 pm
Location: Golden, Colorado USA

Re: Why not a Native Salt?

Postby sal » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:53 pm

There is one in-the-works.

sal

AccountDeletedUserRequest
Member
Posts: 6612
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:15 am

Re: Why not a Native Salt?

Postby AccountDeletedUserRequest » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:56 pm

ZrowsN1s wrote:So I've been carrying the LC200N Native about a year now. This knife really needs to be mass produced. I love the native platform, and the LC200N version is just a winner all round. It's "salty" (corrosion resistant), and takes a very nice fine edge with respectable edge retention (I'm surprised at how high the initial sharpness is) . I've only ever liked two combo edge knives in my many years of collecting, this is one of them.

Gave the edge a nice polish with my leather strops and diamond paste the other day, and power stropped the serrations with my dremel :D
20171128_155423.jpg
20171128_150854.jpg
20171128_151230.jpg
I'd love that same setup on a big knife like the Police. Red FRN, black LC200N blade, and combo edge. I was | | that close to ordering one of those natives.

That's awesome news about the salt Native.

User avatar
cabfrank
Member
Posts: 654
Joined: Sun May 08, 2011 9:07 pm

Re: Why not a Native Salt?

Postby cabfrank » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:48 pm

It is. I'll be getting one.

User avatar
tonijedi
Member
Posts: 660
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:08 am
Location: Portugal

Re: Why not a Native Salt?

Postby tonijedi » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:50 pm

sal wrote:There is one in-the-works.

sal
Cool :)

User avatar
abbazaba
Member
Posts: 3061
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:40 pm
Location: New England

Re: Why not a Native Salt?

Postby abbazaba » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:05 pm

sal wrote:There is one in-the-works.

sal
:) :D :spyder:

User avatar
ZrowsN1s
Member
Posts: 4903
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:08 pm
Location: San Diego, California USA

Re: Why not a Native Salt?

Postby ZrowsN1s » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:39 pm

Vivi wrote: I'd love that same setup on a big knife like the Police. Red FRN, black LC200N blade, and combo edge. I was | | that close to ordering one of those natives.
...
The red frn and the DLC really go well together :D In general I like DLC with bright frn colors. I would have picked up the CS orange and black, but I'm saving up for the fluted CF native, and had to pass. Red n black on a bigger knife like the Police would look pretty cool. Heck if it was full 'salt' I might even buy one that size for camping/food prep.

*And awesome news on the "in-the-works" native salt :D
Carrying 3 knives is perfectly normal :D
-Matt

User avatar
SpyderEdgeForever
Member
Posts: 6301
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:53 pm
Location: USA

Re: Why not a Native Salt?

Postby SpyderEdgeForever » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:47 pm

abbazaba wrote:
sal wrote:There is one in-the-works.

sal
:) :D :spyder:
:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)


:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :spyder: :spyder: :spyder: :spyder: :spyder: :spyder:


YAY! YAY! YAY!


Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Cali HogHead, MSN [Bot] and 13 guests