Question about the Caly 3

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jdw

Question about the Caly 3

Post by jdw »

I recently picked up a Caly 3.5 during the Amazon deal, and not to harsh out the opinion of anyone else on the board I simply do not like the knife. It is a very striking and beautiful knife BUT the handle is just too small for my ham hands to get a comfortable grip. Would someone who has both the 3" and 3.5" Caly please tell me if the handles are basically the same size and similar shape? I have a Caly 3 pre-ordered and if the size of the handles are about the same I plan on canceling it. As always, thanks for your input.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
SF Native

Re: Question about the Caly 3

Post by SF Native »

I don't have the 3, but the 3.5 that just showed up is very similar to the ukpk. I would say they are similar and you should cancel.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

They are very similar
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Heck they're practically the same, the 3.5 is just about a half inch​ longer in the blade and handle so if the 3.5 is too small then the 3 absolutely will be.
Last edited by Evil D on Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
remnar

Post by remnar »

This isn't the best picture for comparison but the last knife (right side) is a Caly 3.5 and the others are all Caly 3s. If the 3.5 is too small, then the 3 will definitely be too small.

greencobra

Post by greencobra »

jdw wrote:I recently picked up a Caly 3.5 during the Amazon deal, and not to harsh out the opinion of anyone else on the board I simply do not like the knife. It is a very striking and beautiful knife BUT the handle is just too small for my ham hands to get a comfortable grip. Would someone who has both the 3" and 3.5" Caly please tell me if the handles are basically the same size and similar shape? I have a Caly 3 pre-ordered and if the size of the handles are about the same I plan on canceling it. As always, thanks for your input.
i agree with you on this. i have the 3.5 carbon fiber caly and it just doesn't feel right in my hand. yep, it is a striking looking knife though but if it doesn't feel right, it's not gonna work for me. i'll work it back into the rotation and work with it some more, i just have this thing in my head i should give it another go. and i also have the caly 3 hap40 on preorder but will stick with it.
AlwaysTomboy

Post by AlwaysTomboy »

As said above, thickness and overall shape is very similar; Caly 3s handle is just a bit shorter.

Best photo I have of both together that I can find easily.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I have no problem with Caly 3.5 but, if I'm being honest, the blade is longer than I prefer. I knew this going in but, with the way it was priced, couldn't pass up the opportunity to try one.

The UKPK fits my hand perfectly and the blade length is optimal for my needs. So.....bring on the Caly 3 HAP40 sprint!!!
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Wright.88

Post by Wright.88 »

Ive owned a Caly 3 and 3.5. I sold the 3 bc I could only have a comfortable grip when using the finger choil, which I don't like to be "forced" to do on a knife it's size. The 3.5 just barely fits my hand to use w/o the choil.

On a side note, I bought one of the $102 Caly 3.5s on Amazon and am thinking of getting rid of it. I got a very lightly used mantra for the same price and like it much more. And they're essentially the same size knife, so it's hard justifying both when I like one much more.
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

Sharp Guy wrote:I have no problem with Caly 3.5 but, if I'm being honest, the blade is longer than I prefer. I knew this going in but, with the way it was priced, couldn't pass up the opportunity to try one.

The UKPK fits my hand perfectly and the blade length is optimal for my needs. So.....bring on the Caly 3 HAP40 sprint!!!
Funny, I don't usually like knives this size but I'm really liking the 3.5 and might skip the hap40 caly 3. Maybe not. It's been a downward spiral for me. K390 urban > s110v ukpk > zdp caly 3.5.
I'm loving this branch on the spyderco tree.
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Love the caly 3 and 3.5! Bring on the hap40 goodness!!
Josh
EmperorMA

Post by EmperorMA »

My Caly 3.5 is my most-carried knife. It's VG10/G10 and I love it. I've fondled a Caly 3 and I think I'm in love.

I don't want HAP40, though, so I'm sitting this one out. All my carry knives need to have a stainless component to them as I am always in and around fresh and salt water.

Caly 3 sprint in something stainless, please!
Wishlist: Delica 4 FFG VG10, Manix 2 LW XHP, Military 204P and S110V, Para 3 Cruwear and S110V, Paramilitary 2 (all versions), SpydieChef LC200N, Caribbean PE and Sheepsfoot SE

Procured: Caly 3.5 VG10, Dragonfly 2 LW VG10, Manix 2 XL S30V, Native 5 LW S110V, Para 3 S30V, Paramilitary 2 S110V
Donut

Post by Donut »

I would say to try and carry the Caly 3.5 for a while and see if it grows on you. It carries really well.

I bought a Caly 3 back in the day because I liked the way it looked. I didn't think it felt super great and it didn't see much carry. Now... maybe 8 years after I got my first Caly 3, the Carbon Fiber ones are a nice mid-range knife and the Super Blue sprints came out. I find that the more I carry them, the more I prefer to carry them.

It takes up very little of my pocket and it has a low ride pocket clip. When I need to use it, it isn't the most comfortable knife I've ever used, but it isn't a slouch. As far as Moki production goes, how precise they make these things is amazing in itself.

If I ever go to a wedding, I will always have a Caly in my pocket.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
EmperorMA

Post by EmperorMA »

Donut wrote:I would say to try and carry the Caly 3.5 for a while and see if it grows on you. It carries really well.

I bought a Caly 3 back in the day because I liked the way it looked. I didn't think it felt super great and it didn't see much carry. Now... maybe 8 years after I got my first Caly 3, the Carbon Fiber ones are a nice mid-range knife and the Super Blue sprints came out. I find that the more I carry them, the more I prefer to carry them.

It takes up very little of my pocket and it has a low ride pocket clip. When I need to use it, it isn't the most comfortable knife I've ever used, but it isn't a slouch. As far as Moki production goes, how precise they make these things is amazing in itself.

I am not sure any Spyderco knife carries so much blade so easily, so comfortably and with a better blade length/handle/weight ratio than the Caly family. It simply defies logic that they can get so much blade into so small a package. It literally disappears in your pocket, doesn't even feel like it is there but there is a very useful and impressive 3 1/2" leaf blade in that little pocket knife.

I want a Caly 3 in a bad way. When (if?) it ever comes out in a suitable steel for my uses, it would immediately jump to the top of my wishlist.

Carry it a bit. See what you think. If you don't like it, contact me.
Wishlist: Delica 4 FFG VG10, Manix 2 LW XHP, Military 204P and S110V, Para 3 Cruwear and S110V, Paramilitary 2 (all versions), SpydieChef LC200N, Caribbean PE and Sheepsfoot SE

Procured: Caly 3.5 VG10, Dragonfly 2 LW VG10, Manix 2 XL S30V, Native 5 LW S110V, Para 3 S30V, Paramilitary 2 S110V
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

EmperorMA wrote:My Caly 3.5 is my most-carried knife. It's VG10/G10 and I love it. I've fondled a Caly 3 and I think I'm in love.

I don't want HAP40, though, so I'm sitting this one out. All my carry knives need to have a stainless component to them as I am always in and around fresh and salt water.

Caly 3 sprint in something stainless, please!
Have you tried the s110v ukpk? Very stainless, caly 3 size but no lock. The spring is pretty stuff. I really like mine.
Donut

Post by Donut »

EmperorMA wrote:
Donut wrote:I would say to try and carry the Caly 3.5 for a while and see if it grows on you. It carries really well.

I am not sure any Spyderco knife carries so much blade so easily, so comfortably and with a better blade length/handle/weight ratio than the Caly family. It simply defies logic that they can get so much blade into so small a package. It literally disappears in your pocket, doesn't even feel like it is there but there is a very useful and impressive 3 1/2" leaf blade in that little pocket knife.

I want a Caly 3 in a bad way. When (if?) it ever comes out in a suitable steel for my uses, it would immediately jump to the top of my wishlist.

Carry it a bit. See what you think. If you don't like it, contact me.
I agree completely.

Not too long after the Caly 3.5 came out, someone posted a thread with pictures that showed that the 3 and the 3.5 have almost the same exact handle. The Caly 3.5's handle is maybe 1/8" longer than the Caly 3's. The Caly 3 must have a little bit of wasted handle space when the knife is closed, the Caly 3.5 was able to squeeze an extra half inch of blade into practically the same handle.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The 3 will be too small for your hand. I have to use the choil to grip the knife and I have fairly large thick hands. Something to think on. But, for a knife to tuck away and use for light duty, it does ok. I know the pivot is extra strong, but the fact that I am forced to hold it by the choil, to me at least, means my finger could slip forward onto the very sharp blade during heavy use. Still, over all I like the knife.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
jdw

Post by jdw »

I wanted to follow up with a thank you for all of the great feedback on this thread. After a few weeks of carry the 3.5 has become one of my favorite go to EDCs. I never intended it to be a hard use folder anyway and what it lacks in ergos for my large hands it more than makes up for in carry-ability. The lightweight with the longish and crazy sharp blade more than make up for my initial impression of poor design (for me). Thanks to those who encouraged me to hang on to and give it a try. Now I can't wait for the HAP40 Caly3. Thanks again!
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
Donut

Post by Donut »

jdw wrote:I wanted to follow up with a thank you for all of the great feedback on this thread. After a few weeks of carry the 3.5 has become one of my favorite go to EDCs. I never intended it to be a hard use folder anyway and what it lacks in ergos for my large hands it more than makes up for in carry-ability. The lightweight with the longish and crazy sharp blade more than make up for my initial impression of poor design (for me). Thanks to those who encouraged me to hang on to and give it a try. Now I can't wait for the HAP40 Caly3. Thanks again!
Welcome to the club! :)

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one that it grows on.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
dc50

Post by dc50 »

I was wondering if the blade on the HAP40 Caly3 will be highly polished like the VG 10 and ZDP models?
I kick myself for missing the super blue sprint. The reason I ask is I really don't care for highly polished blades on any knife. :)