Difference between Manix 2 G-10 and Lightweight

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
agentbill

Difference between Manix 2 G-10 and Lightweight

Post by agentbill »

Question regarding differences between the Manix 2 with the G-10 scales and the Manix 2 Lightweight: Are the scales alone the ONLY difference between the two knives? If so, can I assume the scales are interchangeable between the two? Thanks for the feedback.
SG89

Re: Difference between Manix 2 G-10 and Lightweight

Post by SG89 »

M2 lw is pinned
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Sharpie

Post by Sharpie »

Additionally, G-10 has stainless steel liners where Lightweight does not. Scales are not interchangeable.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

agentbill wrote:Question regarding differences between the Manix 2 with the G-10 scales and the Manix 2 Lightweight: Are the scales alone the ONLY difference between the two knives? If so, can I assume the scales are interchangeable between the two? Thanks for the feedback.
The "scales" of the LW version are also the structure of the knife handle and as SG88 mentioned, they're pinned together permanently. There are only small permanently installed reinforcing "liners" up near the pivot in the M2 LW, where the G10 Manix has full length steel liners and the G10 scales are screwed on over the them. AFAIK the only parts that the two models share are the blade, locking ball, ball cage and lock spring.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
araneae

Post by araneae »

The lightweight disappears in your pocket it's so light, the G-10 is a noticeable companion.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

If you are asking because you want to do a blade swap I will say that it is not an easy swap. I have not done it but a couple of folks have and it isn't an entry level mod.

The blades are the same but the overall construction is a bit different between the two.

What are you trying to accomplish? Maybe we can help.

Welcome to the forum BTW!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
agentbill

Post by agentbill »

Thanks for the responses!
titaniumsouthpaw

Post by titaniumsouthpaw »

I don’t know if this thread is dead or not but I have a lightweight manix 2 in xhp and wanted to swap with titanium handles. I don’t mind drilling out the pivots if that’s what it takes but the only posts I’ve seen is where people have 2 knives and swap blades. I just want to make sure that’s all I need before I dive in.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

titaniumsouthpaw wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:02 pm
I don’t know if this thread is dead or not but I have a lightweight manix 2 in xhp and wanted to swap with titanium handles. I don’t mind drilling out the pivots if that’s what it takes but the only posts I’ve seen is where people have 2 knives and swap blades. I just want to make sure that’s all I need before I dive in.

Welcome to the forum! :)

I had a Manix 2 LW once, but never thought about a blade swap or even "drilling out the pins" (I guess that´s what you meant, right?), so I am of no help.

Still, I´ll bump your post, maybe others will know more!

EDIT: If you don´t get usefull replies, maybe start a dedicated thread that shows your actual question in the title already.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
attila

Post by attila »

agentbill wrote:
Fri May 12, 2017 8:33 am
Question regarding differences between the Manix 2 with the G-10 scales and the Manix 2 Lightweight: Are the scales alone the ONLY difference between the two knives? If so, can I assume the scales are interchangeable between the two? Thanks for the feedback.
This may be illuminating:
https://bladeforums.com/threads/manix-2 ... n.1546282/
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
JMM

Post by JMM »

AFAIK all the LW models are pinned, not something I care for in any model of knife... The G10's do of course weigh more, but the flexibility of mods is fantastic, screws, tubes, scales, cages, etc. With the exception of Maxamet, the G10 version has way more steel options... as others have said, doing much of any sort of modding with a LW is not trivial.

Cheers,

John
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I have both G10 & LW Manix 2s. I like both but I carry the LWs way more. I'd prefer them to screw construction but the fact that they're pinned doesn't bother me at all.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

You can't just buy a LW and swap the blade into titanium scales even if they're the kind that replace the G10 AND liners on the G10 version. You will still need the lock back spacer assembly from a G10 version, as it's totally different on the LW and molded into the FRN so unless someone makes titanium scales specifically for this purpose (replacing the FRN completely) you will need a G10 donor knife too.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
titaniumsouthpaw

Post by titaniumsouthpaw »

Welcome to the forum! :)

I had a Manix 2 LW once, but never thought about a blade swap or even "drilling out the pins" (I guess that´s what you meant, right?), so I am of no help.

Still, I´ll bump your post, maybe others will know more!

EDIT: If you don´t get usefull replies, maybe start a dedicated thread that shows your actual question in the title already.
Yeah I that’s what I meant! For some reason in my head I thought the g10 version titanium scales didn’t need the liners, but now I know better. I found a guy who makes custom titanium scales for the lightweight at $125. Now my choice is between spending the same amount I paid for the knife on lw ti scales or buying a second knife swapping the blade, shelling $60 for the reg. Ti scales, and selling the lw in S30v. I don’t know how much the steel liners weigh but if it drops it down to 4-5 ounces I’d be good to go.