Best lock for use in dirt?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
awa54

Best lock for use in dirt?

Post by awa54 »

I need a "Landscaper knife", ideally something with a high carbide stainless blade to keep cutting despite being used in very abrasive media and which has a lock that sheds or excludes dirt well. Having an ambidexterous lock is also a plus, since the user is left handed.

I'm leaning toward an S110V Native 5 LW, but haven't ever gotten my N5s grubby enough to know how well the lock functions when filled with top soil. :eek:
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Eli Chaps

Re: Best lock for use in dirt?

Post by Eli Chaps »

In all seriousness, is a small fixed blade out of the question?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Fixed blade ;)

But I've seen at least one video of a Manix 2 getting packed with mud and sand and it still functioned and rinsed out fairly easy. I think any lock is going to be susceptible to failure with enough crud packed in it, so I would look for locks that rinse out the easiest.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ejames13

Post by ejames13 »

I would think either a Military or PM2 would fit the bill. Flow through design will help shed the dirt, and both the liner lock and compression lock should be pretty easy to clean out if they get grimy. Then again, a lot of people like the Pac Salt for garden type work.
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

I wouldn't risk anything other than a fixed blade for such dedicated use. My only exception could be an Opinel, but that's not a Spydie ;)
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I suspect the best lock for dirt is the easily cleaned compression lock. Not only is the lock itself readily exposed for cleaning but so is the handle's entire interior.

The problem with dirt, however, is that it works its way into the pivot, regardless of the lock, and can screw up the folding function until properly and tediously cleaned, hence the fixed blade recommendations.

This much said, I use a PE Pacific Salt for taking out dandelions and other weeds in Spring and Summer, and an SE Tasman Salt for taking down the garden in Fall. Both are backlocks but grit in their pivots has rarely been a problem for me. I do wipe soil and cuttings from their blades before folding them closed.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Robbob

Post by Robbob »

I would not suggest a liner lock. Dirt can get packed between the lock leaf and the scale, making it very difficult to unlock. A Reeve lock would be better.

The Manix 2 comes to mind as a good solution. The lock is centrally located, so dirt has a harder time working down from the top. However, it can work in from the side if the knife is stabbed into dirt or layed down in dirt.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

awa54 wrote:I need a "Landscaper knife", ideally something with a high carbide stainless blade to keep cutting despite being used in very abrasive media and which has a lock that sheds or excludes dirt well. Having an ambidexterous lock is also a plus, since the user is left handed.

I'm leaning toward an S110V Native 5 LW, but haven't ever gotten my N5s grubby enough to know how well the lock functions when filled with top soil. :eek:
There was a guy a few years ago who had a Manix BBL that the lock kept getting clogged with mud and dirt. He worked at a tomato farm for something. Anyway, he bought a Native 5 LW and it worked out for him just fine. Other knives to think about are the Manix 2 Back Lock version, the Pacific Salt, Endura in her favorite color, and the Spydiechef.

The Native 5 comes in half serrated, which is good for roots and rope, while still having a plain edge for other things. I have the fully serrated version which would also be a good choice.

Liner lock knives are easier to clean, but they are also weaker locks than the back lock or BBL.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ZMW

Post by ZMW »

Mule!
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Hi David,

I don't know mate, I'd be reluctant to use a quality folder for any dirty work like that. If it were me I'd use a cheap fixed blade and have a file handy to sharpen it with. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Holland

Post by Holland »

When I worked construction I found the compression lock to be little phased by debris and backlocks were probably the worst.
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I use backlocks daily in dirty conditions. Any lock can fail due to debris, dirt, fish guts and scales, etc. What I like about backlocks is aside from finding them resistant to those conditions, it's easy to tell when they aren't locking up properly due to dirt or debris in the lock.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Is use a cheap fixed blade for that kind of crap. It's going to dull quick anyway.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Molle Ninja

Post by Molle Ninja »

Maybe the LC mule?
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Mule. Or maybe Enuff.
ohcyclist

Post by ohcyclist »

How about the H1 enuff?
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Compression lock for ease of cleaning
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

this_is_nascar

Post by this_is_nascar »

Get several Mora's. They're cheap enough and will take whatever you throw at them.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Back locks are kind of a tricky ordeal when it comes to crud failing the lock. Once the knife is open the lock is just about as closed off as any lock design so crud will at least get in less than other locks while open. The important thing is to make sure the lock is clean before you operate it since even pocket lint can compromise the action. It's both one of the best and one of the worst when talking about crud.

I would really like to see the Plunge Lock implemented on non automatic knives. It seems like a very interesting and simple lock that may be great for scenarios like this.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David