Back lock Paramilitary?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Jazz

Back lock Paramilitary?

Post by Jazz »

I can't be the only one who gets pinched by the Paramilli every time I open it. It angers me so. Great knife I've had for years, yet virtually unused. Why? Because of that.

What would y'all say to a back lock version like the new Manix? I'd love it. The compression lock is great, but that pinch. Maybe it could be close backed, and operated via a button. No pinch - same lock.

Anyway, I love back locks. Any interest?
- best wishes, Jazz.
Sharp Guy

Re: Back lock Paramilitary?

Post by Sharp Guy »

Never been pinched by any compression lock but I can understand why it would be aggravating. I have so many back locks that a back lock PM2 wouldn't really interest me. If Spyderco made one I'm sure it would be a great knife.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
anycal

Post by anycal »

Caly 3.5? Same blade length; choil; close in weight. Lock back. Looks like a nice knife.

I like my PM2 the way it is, as far as the lock goes.
Peter
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

Please no.
There is already the Stretch, the Endura, the Police, the California, plenty of lockback knives.
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Jazz,

If you look at Lance' HAP40 Stretch pictures, a Stretch is actually a lockback Para 2.
I can't seem to search it, but remember seeing it. :o

Edit:
//forum.spyderco.com/viewto ... =2&t=73065
Last edited by anagarika on Tue May 09, 2017 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris :spyder:
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

If it's linerless and LC200N yes.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Igi964

Post by Igi964 »

Please no!!!! No more back locks. It's enough of them. IMHO it's not the best lock, far from it. I hate the up and down play :(
Compresion lock never pinch me. Maybe you should try to adjust your grip.
Knutty

Post by Knutty »

anagarika wrote:Jazz,

If you look at Lance' HAP40 Stretch pictures, a Stretch is actually a lockback Para 2.

Edit:
Maybe I am misunderstanding you, but the Stretch is not just a PM2 with a back-lock. There are about 100 other differences.
"We have more metal parts fail than plastic parts. Modern plastics are tough. 'Feeling cheap' may be a false perception and one might need more education. We rarely get a FRN knife back with handle problems and we have millions of them out in daily use. " --Sal Glesser
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

I love the back lock Manix 2, but absolutely not. Love the pm2 how it is
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Knutty wrote:
anagarika wrote:Jazz,

Edit:
Maybe I am misunderstanding you, but the Stretch is not just a PM2 with a back-lock. There are about 100 other differences.
Of course they are different. However at the same time, they are very close that functionality wise, a Stretch is what a lock back PM2 should be, IMO of course.
My reasoning: from edge up, the knife profile is very close. The object being cut won't know the difference. Stretch is thinner, it should cut better. The FRN is very comfortable (I found Para 2 feels boxy in hand).
IIRC, Sal & Eric usually will do a complete redesign, not just changing lock, and Stretch is already very close, I can't see how a redesign lock back Para 2 can be better.
I'm not Sal & Eric, so it's just my view about the subject with my limited imagination. Who knows they come up with a brilliant redesign, that'll be top :cool:

Sorry Jazz, in this case I don't quite agree. A wharncliffe Stretch however, will be interesting ;)
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I would definitely like it much better and would buy one. I would love to have a backlock Military.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Do I want a backlock Paramilitary , no. Would I buy one if offered... Of course, I'm addicted to :spyder:'s :p
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Yes please but I would really want to see it in a LW version..
(and that tends to take time and it would have to be commercially interesting to even bother doing it)

The Stretch is a great blade but about as much of a backlock PM2 as a Manix 2 is a cbb lock PM 2..
(I love all 3 but would love those PM 2 ergos and especially that tip and that bladestock on a backlock version)

A PM 2 in Cruwear with linerless Japanese style FRN (light grey please) and a backlock might just be my all time ultimate grail folder for now. ;)
Robbob

Post by Robbob »

I've been pinched many times, but it's not bad enough for me to care. If you hold the knife below the lock when opening there's no pinch. However, if you do the pinching it can't pinch you back.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

That's about what I figured for response. I guess that's a no.

The Para is way different than a Stretch, which I have 3 of already. The back lock Manix is in the mail. That so called up and down blade play is highly over-hyped. Doesn't bother me at all. Back locks are my favorite, and I have liners, Axis locks, Triads, frame, Caged Ball Bearing, compression. I really trust the Compression locks, but they need a redesign. The first pad of my index finger goes right in the lock area and gets squished. I shouldn't have to adjust my grip. I'm holding it normal. I even thought of trying out the left hand model, but it still pinches left handed.

Oh well, just a dream. I do have lots of other knives. I'm just going to have to be done with compression locks.
- best wishes, Jazz.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I am still hoping for a straight spine Stretch. ;) I would love a backlock Military.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Backlock Mili would be nice as well, wouldn't mind more backlocks in general but the PM 2 with backlock would be top of my list.
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Jazz,

As fellow back lock lover, if a model comes with back lock, I'd definitely prefer that and buy the back lock first. Had I known the M2 will be issued with back lock, I might not get the blurple.
(The dream answer).
Last edited by anagarika on Wed May 10, 2017 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
shaztec

Post by shaztec »

hi jazz i too have been pinched many times by the righty pm2 as a lefty.
however the lefty pm2 seems to have solved this issue for me.
having said that i would love a mid back lock pm2.
shaztecs_knives on instagram
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'd pass because I'd still prefer other knives for ergonomic reasons. Honestly it's going to take a lot more than simply changing a lock TO a back lock to grab my attention.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David