Holes in the Spydie range?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

What price range what you like to see expanded offerings from?

<$50
2%
$50-75
24%
$75-100
44%
$100-150
20%
$150-200
2%
$200+
8%

Total votes: 59

araneae

Re: Holes in the Spydie range?

Post by araneae »

Panning out about how I expected. Wonder if the Spydie crew is taking notes...
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
paladin

Post by paladin »

200+ ...

I just hit Powerball
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Do we all get new spydies??!! :p
paladin wrote:
I just hit Powerball
Josh
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

I saw the thread title and thought like an Englishman, "Holes in the range? Heck yes, almost every knife in the range has a hole!" Then I realized this was about pricing. Oops.

I like seeing stuff in the $100 range.
kelpie

Post by kelpie »

Fixed blades in the "economy" price bracket. For the last 3 months I have been weighing beet and brassica crops, using a blade to trim the bulbs and remove tops for samples. Also digging/scatching for grass grub, an insect which eats grass roots and lives in the top 2-4 inches of soil. my blade of choice is a beater, I think 15 dollar cold steel Finn bear, I've played round with a SOG seal pup and another mora I have. no way will I use a >$100 fixed blade for this type of work, or any steel which has any difficulty in sharpening (one slice through soil is enough to render any edge dull I have found). I would be very interested in any offering Spyderco would like to have in the >$100 fixed blade, even more so >$50.

I do have a couple of mules, 1 I gifted to a farmer to put through this same type of work if he wanted, the other after I spent time and effort handling and considerable $ on a sheath I consider too good for abuse. :-).
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Voted 75-100, would chose 75-125 if I would make it up myself.

Not necessarily a hole, great offerings there but wouldn't mind more.
jstrange

Post by jstrange »

kelpie wrote:Fixed blades in the "economy" price bracket. For the last 3 months I have been weighing beet and brassica crops, using a blade to trim the bulbs and remove tops for samples. Also digging/scatching for grass grub, an insect which eats grass roots and lives in the top 2-4 inches of soil. my blade of choice is a beater, I think 15 dollar cold steel Finn bear, I've played round with a SOG seal pup and another mora I have. no way will I use a >$100 fixed blade for this type of work, or any steel which has any difficulty in sharpening (one slice through soil is enough to render any edge dull I have found). I would be very interested in any offering Spyderco would like to have in the >$100 fixed blade, even more so >$50.

I do have a couple of mules, 1 I gifted to a farmer to put through this same type of work if he wanted, the other after I spent time and effort handling and considerable $ on a sheath I consider too good for abuse. :-).
What about this?

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=66
:spyder: jstrange
kelpie

Post by kelpie »

I'm using the knife as a trowel to dig shallow soil, and wedge to get through tough beets and swedes, and a hatchet/slasher to get through tough kale stalks (like little lignified trees), then a sharpened utility knife to slice more flexible rape stalks. I may be wrong but I wouldn't expect a paring knife to fit this solution. I'm thinking more a tenacious fixed blade, less finesse than a paring knife more - hey guys see if you can beat this up.

here in rural NZ this is the typical knife use that I grew up with, along time ago I gave a cold steel Finn bear to my father in-law (I know, generous!!) - 60 year old life time sheep and beef farmer, would butcher more than a dozen animals a year, and he still feels that this pretty basic knife is the bees knees. a major key to this is that we do a lot of stuff which very quickly dulls an edge and pry with whatever is within reach. if I had a penny for every time a farmer (client) has asked me if I have a knife in my pocket so that we can dig into a field to check for , moisture, insects, turf, required cultivation techniques, maybe just to dull my knife. sturdy, easy to sharpen stainless steel at a "user" price point (user is subjective, in general I would cry less under $100 if it broke) (actually honestly if it was over $100 and it broke my wife would skin me alive with the shards of broken knife)

feels like a scratch that Spyderco isn't itching
paladin

Post by paladin »

murphjd25 wrote:Do we all get new spydies??!! :p
paladin wrote:
I just hit Powerball
Nirvana's ALL AROUND! Set 'em up Sal! ;)
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
Koop

Post by Koop »

EmperorMA seems to be blurring the line between wholesale and retail markups. Spyderco sells to dealers at a wholesale price and fixes their gross profit margin. The retail price doesn't affect wholesale gross profit. The retail price reflects what the retailer needs to make on the product - sale minus cost of sale equals retail GP.
PM2 Camo DLC S30V - Chaparral XHP - Delica 4 VG-10 -Manix 2 LW CTS BD1 - Manix 2 LW KC Exclusive XHP - Tenacious 8Cr13MoV - Dragonfly VG10 - PM3 Sprint Cruwear Light Gray G10 - K08 Santoku
araneae

Post by araneae »

Bumping
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
palonej

Post by palonej »

farnorthdan wrote:Probably going against the hive, but I'd like to see more high end stuff, mainly collaborate work with more/different custom makers, higher end materials and steels. :o :D
I feel the same way Dan.
The Spydies I get the most excited about are the higher enders.
I would LOVE to see more collabs with different makers in the $250 - $400 range.
Joe
jayhawk

Post by jayhawk »

I'm new to Spyderco, was looking for a <3" blade for under $200, and honestly, the number of options is a little overwhelming, esp in the $75-$150 range...even when considering that I'm looking for a lefty-friendly knife (which makes frame locks and liner locks less attractive). I ended up just picking up a DF2 VG-10, because it's inexpensive, covers my day to day needs, and can go basically anywhere. While I carry and use the DF2, I can ponder over what knife of knives I "want" but don't necessarily need on a daily basis.

A couple of things that I'd like to see:

Something with a ball-bearing lock that is slightly smaller than a Sage 3. Maybe something like a Q-ball with a more standard blade (or smaller), or if possible something as small as a chappie would be perfect. Still on the fence about trying the Q-ball (I've never owned a wharncliffe blade).

This may exist, and I know Spyderco does really cool sprint runs, but it would be cool to see "custom shop" knives from Spyderco. High end, non-production, USA knives with higher end scale materials...almost like an official aftermarket shop (like CZ USA > CZcustom).
kvnlau7

Post by kvnlau7 »

Alot of folks voted for the 100$ range simply because thats spyderco target audience. Most of the spyderco owners are really using their knives.
Thats great! Nothing wrong with that.

The Hole in spyderco's range is the Midtech , high end (non custom) knives.
At the 300-500$
Why? its because thats a market yet not claimed by spyderco and brings in a hole different audience.

Spyderco right now is bringing alot of knives out that are in the 100 dollar range knives with good steels and nicer materials but still really "true user" oriented.
the second group of knives i see coming from spyderco is in the 200-300 dollar mark. Which are still very user oriented and brings "collectors" attributes to "true user". But from the 300$ price bracket people aren't looking for users.

What people want are fidget tools and pocket jewelry that are semi usable.
What i mean by that is function at this range isn't the main priority but instead action ( fun to play) and Fit and finish ,craftmentship that they can show -off becomes priority.

Yet there is nothing really to contest with knives like Chris reeve.

What i want to see from spyderco is nicer finished 400-500$ knives.
Knives like the nirvana are technical marvels at 400$ ( integral for 400$ is not done.) But its not nicely finished its stonewashed and user oriented.
Which is missing the point somewhat. The action on those knives aren't as nice as they could have been.

Midtechs are oriented to people who buy custom knives. Whom are either looking for a user to complement their "full custom" or trying to get a full custom at table and are unsuccesfull so they opt for a midtech instead.

What spyderco should start making is knives that show-off craftmenship and amazing action. Custom hardware , intricate milling , unique anodization work thats what people are looking for.
But above all. consistency. If the action in one knife is properly tuned and the other isn't people start to doubt the knives. And secondary market of such knives start to drop.

Why do CRK's do so well? they are a perfect example of craftmenship with inlays. Intricate milling with their unique graphic models. Techincally advanced with ceramic lock interface.
All the things that i think with spyderco's capabilities are achievable.
Check out my IG: Kvnlau7
Also known as kvnlau7 on bladeforums
kvnlau7

Post by kvnlau7 »

I know eric considered doing a collab with sinkevich at the 600-700 dollar range.
I loved that knife amazing details: custom pivot , milling on the CF , spyderweb milling on the inside.

All great features. But what im worried about is spyderco moving on too quickly from such a model. It cost alot of money to start up such a production line. If spyderco did
more variations with that model instead making a new model after a while. That would in my opinion be a smarter play.

Example:
start with full ti model and a CF handle model
After a while Change blade shapes.
And start adding other features to that knife.
Like anodization options.
and Inlay options.

Tip: make unique sprint runs like 25 with unique milling scales.
Check out my IG: Kvnlau7
Also known as kvnlau7 on bladeforums
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I chose 50-75 and 75 to 100. Cost is a big determiner in my buying preferences, normally. However, most, but not all, of my favorites are in the $100 and below range, or were when I bought them, anyway.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ASmitty

Post by ASmitty »

I miss my early days as a Spyderco collector from 1999-2005. Back in those days, ergonomics and design trumped material choices in Spyderco's core line-up. I love Spyderco, but the original appeal to me was high quality knives that didn't cost an arm and a leg. Let the other guys spend their premium prices on Benchmades and Microtechs and midtech blades. I was getting exceptional blades for a fraction of the cost. I first found Spyderco because my local hardware store had a display of them at their counter. All of them were FRN handled lockbacks of varying designs. I know that their current path is a part of the company's evolution, but I do sometimes long for that simpler time.
anycal

Post by anycal »

At this point, having the knives I already have (user, not collector), I would be willing to pay a premium for something special. Overbuilt, premium materials, light(ish), brand new knife.

That said, I am in the same boat as others here. I would like to see something new, not a steel or color variation. New lock on existing knife would be 'something new' in my book. As long as it is a model I prefer. And yes, I would like to see it come out of Golden USA.
Peter