Q-Ball users?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ugaarguy

Re: Q-Ball users?

Post by ugaarguy »

Well, it's breaking in. I can middle finger flick it open most of the time now. I can also pull back on the lock ball and flick it shut pretty reliably. The edges of the liners are quite sharp, so I'll have to get an emery board and knock those down. It's a shame they cam that way from the factory, because the non-caged ball lock being recessed into the handle means there's no hot spotting from the lock mechanism. The recessed lock mech has the disadvantage that it takes more effort to disengage for quickly closing the blade, and I think it will be difficult to use with wet hands. The counter is that it's almost (completly?) impossible to accidentally disengage (and the previously noted lack of hot spotting). Using the Fillipino grip with my forefinger in the choil is quite comfortable. In other miscellania, it has the strongest retention of the wire clip on any Spyderco that I've handled.
David R

Post by David R »

ugaarguy wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:37 am
I forgot I'd posted to this thread a little over a year ago. The Q Ball I ordered last weekend arrived yesterday. I'm not quite sure what to think of it yet. It's nice, but it isn't wowing me.
What isn't wowing you? The knife overall? Blade? Lock? The ball bearing lock is a fantastic design (imo), but can be inconvenient to use. I think it keeps the D'Allara from being more popular.
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

David R wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:15 pm
What isn't wowing you? The knife overall? Blade? Lock? The ball bearing lock is a fantastic design (imo), but can be inconvenient to use. I think it keeps the D'Allara from being more popular.
It's growing on me as it's breaking in. It's just not as slick as my Sage 2 or Griptilian. It doesn't feel as refined as my Taichung Spydercos that have all the sharp edges knocked down.
Yago

Post by Yago »

Happy to make my first post. I've reached a point where the enjoyment levels are not understood by my local circle of friends. Feel related?

I like the Q-ball so much that I bought a second, which I plan on babying all my life. The knife is smaller than you may think; but once you land in the choil, even large hands have a full, secure grip. The point is holding up well around the house, and occasional backyard whittling. Opening action is smooth and fast. Perhaps this is related to the width of the blade/handle, but I find that if I open it with my eyes closed, the movement stops and locks a little sooner than you would expect for other spydies.

The ceramic ball is beautiful to look at. I would prefer a larger ball as it is slightly difficult to grab enough material to pull it back. With wet hands, or banged up finger tips, it's not comfortable. However, I've learned to appreciate it just as it is; just like I have with similarly difficult locks such as the Navaja and Bradley 1, for example.

Great work Eric, Sal, and Spyderco family. You set the example for a well made product. I sure learn life lessons from your work.
Attachments
91970612_668605687286829_4120108915415773396_n(1).jpg
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Yago wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:01 am
Happy to make my first post. I've reached a point where the enjoyment levels are not understood by my local circle of friends. Feel related?

I like the Q-ball so much that I bought a second, which I plan on babying all my life. The knife is smaller than you may think; but once you land in the choil, even large hands have a full, secure grip. The point is holding up well around the house, and occasional backyard whittling. Opening action is smooth and fast. Perhaps this is related to the width of the blade/handle, but I find that if I open it with my eyes closed, the movement stops and locks a little sooner than you would expect for other spydies.

The ceramic ball is beautiful to look at. I would prefer a larger ball as it is slightly difficult to grab enough material to pull it back. With wet hands, or banged up finger tips, it's not comfortable. However, I've learned to appreciate it just as it is; just like I have with similarly difficult locks such as the Navaja and Bradley 1, for example.

Great work Eric, Sal, and Spyderco family. You set the example for a well made product. I sure learn life lessons from your work.
Welcome to the forum Yago! If you get a chance, try handling the Dodo sometime (unfortunately they're very rare). I think you'll like it. It's related to the Q-Ball but has a more comfortable, ergonomic grip. It just comes with a reverse S blade, which is great, but I hope someday they'll make them with wharncliffe and other more conventional blades.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.