Sage 5 is the new Para 3

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jeff4air

Sage 5 is the new Para 3

Post by jeff4air »

I just received my new Sage 5 last night. It occurred to me after comparing to my PM2, that the Sage 5 is the natural little brother to the PM2. Out of the box it flies open like a rocket and with a squeeze of the compression lock it drops every bit as free as the PM2 does. Have not even oiled or tuned the action. Fit and finish is perfect and the S30V was very sharp out of the box.

If you are an open back, compression lock fan like me, the Para 3 is also on your wish list. The things holding me back on the Para 3 are the placement of the pocket clip and that horribly large lanyard hole. Well, the Sage 5 fixes all that. Great wire clip and a tiny little lanyard hole. Plus, you get a nice skin of CF over your G-10 scales that look even better (IMHO) than the PM2/Para 3 G10 scales.

So while we 3-inch fans are all waiting for a Sprint run Para 3, pick up one of Taichung's finest examples- The Mighty Sage 5.
Own- PM2 S30V, Manix 2 CF Cruwear, Chap CF CTS-XHP, Sage 5 S30V, KW CF/Ti Military S90V, Caly 3.5 CF ZDP-189, KW Military CTS-204P, Delica 4 VG-10, Native 5 LW S110V, Para3 S90V CF Sprint, Native 5 Green G-10 S90V Sprint, PM2 CF M4 Sprint, Para 3 BBS M390, Para 3 Maxamet, Delica HAP 40 WC Jazz Sprint, Endura laminate Sprint Blue
Wishlist- Salt 2 SE H1
cabfrank

Re: Sage 5 is the new Para 3

Post by cabfrank »

I want to get one of the two, and I am having a tough time deciding.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

The Sage, like the Chaparral, makes me wish that there was a different philosophy behind them. Amazing knives that cry out for sprints in super steels.
jeff4air

Post by jeff4air »

Any idea what steel the new FRN Chap will carry?
Own- PM2 S30V, Manix 2 CF Cruwear, Chap CF CTS-XHP, Sage 5 S30V, KW CF/Ti Military S90V, Caly 3.5 CF ZDP-189, KW Military CTS-204P, Delica 4 VG-10, Native 5 LW S110V, Para3 S90V CF Sprint, Native 5 Green G-10 S90V Sprint, PM2 CF M4 Sprint, Para 3 BBS M390, Para 3 Maxamet, Delica HAP 40 WC Jazz Sprint, Endura laminate Sprint Blue
Wishlist- Salt 2 SE H1
elena86

Post by elena86 »

TomAiello wrote:The Sage, like the Chaparral, makes me wish that there was a different philosophy behind them. Amazing knives that cry out for sprints in super steels.
Amen to that ! I rave and pray for a Sage1 or Sage5 in CTS-XHP :cool:

Marius
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

I just got my sage 2 and now I'm thinking how bad I need the sage 5...**** this Spyderco disease. Congrats on your new sage 5!
Josh
SG89

Post by SG89 »

murphjd25 wrote:I just got my sage 2 and now I'm thinking how bad I need the sage 5...**** this Spyderco disease. Congrats on your new sage 5!
Holy crap me too! Had my Sage 2 a day and already thinking I need a Sage 5... :p
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

jeff4air wrote:Any idea what steel the new FRN Chap will carry?
Should be XHP.

All the Chaps are supposed to be XHP, just with different handle materials.

Don't get me wrong--I really like XHP. I'd just love a Chap in Maxamet, or s110v.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Of the two I've gotta go with the Sage because the grip feels better to me. The sad part is it'll probably never see the sprint potential that the Para 3 is bound to get.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Will Rogers

Post by Will Rogers »

I got a Sage 5 over the Para 3 based on the blade shape - I prefer the slimmer blade of the Sage 5, and I'm not a fan of the straight line on the spine of the Para 3. Also, since I rarely do any "heavy use" tasks with a knife, I prefer the thinner blade of the Sage 5. I can't really compare the handles, as I've never held a Para 3. The handle of the Sage 5 is plenty big enough for my hand, so the Para 3 handle seems almost too big, although perhaps that is an advantage for heavy use. As for handle material, I'd be just as happy with G10 as carbon fiber, so that wasn't really a factor in my decision.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Will Rogers wrote:The handle of the Sage 5 is plenty big enough for my hand, so the Para 3 handle seems almost too big, although perhaps that is an advantage for heavy use
The handles are close in size between the two models. There's actually a little more room at the end of the Sage 5 but I find that the Para 3 fits my hand well.

The action on my Para 3 is a little better than my Sage 5 but not by much. Both models are great. I do carry my Sage 5 more simply because I prefer the wire clip and it's not quite as tall when closed.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Flipping Addict

Post by Flipping Addict »

I have the P3 and was considering the S5, but can't justify it. They are just to close that having one negates the need for the other for me. If I were a collector it would be different for sure, but I have decided recently to not go down that path. It never ends. But, if I did not have either, I would get the Sage I think. Just pertier.
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Congrats on the Sage5.
Yes about the steel, way back when the Sage 2 came out, I ask for perhaps a super steel i n the Sage line.
Looks like it didn't happen.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
Koop

Post by Koop »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Will Rogers wrote:The handle of the Sage 5 is plenty big enough for my hand, so the Para 3 handle seems almost too big, although perhaps that is an advantage for heavy use
The handles are close in size between the two models. There's actually a little more room at the end of the Sage 5 but I find that the Para 3 fits my hand well.

The action on my Para 3 is a little better than my Sage 5 but not by much. Both models are great. I do carry my Sage 5 more simply because I prefer the wire clip and it's not quite as tall when closed.
Love this photo - it makes it so nice to see the differences as well as the similarities.
PM2 Camo DLC S30V - Chaparral XHP - Delica 4 VG-10 -Manix 2 LW CTS BD1 - Manix 2 LW KC Exclusive XHP - Tenacious 8Cr13MoV - Dragonfly VG10 - PM3 Sprint Cruwear Light Gray G10 - K08 Santoku
awa54

Post by awa54 »

TomAiello wrote:
jeff4air wrote:Any idea what steel the new FRN Chap will carry?
Should be XHP.

All the Chaps are supposed to be XHP, just with different handle materials.

Don't get me wrong--I really like XHP. I'd just love a Chap in Maxamet, or s110v.
How about a gray G10 Chaparral in CruWear?
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
EmperorMA

Post by EmperorMA »

I am 100% in agreement with the OP.

I researched hard before I purchased. I looked at and held and played with both the Para 3 and Sage 5 before plunking down the cash. I just couldn't get over how well the Para 3 felt in my hand, so I bought one.

In hindsight, I should have most definitely went with Sage 5.
Wishlist: Delica 4 FFG VG10, Manix 2 LW XHP, Military 204P and S110V, Para 3 Cruwear and S110V, Paramilitary 2 (all versions), SpydieChef LC200N, Caribbean PE and Sheepsfoot SE

Procured: Caly 3.5 VG10, Dragonfly 2 LW VG10, Manix 2 XL S30V, Native 5 LW S110V, Para 3 S30V, Paramilitary 2 S110V
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I still like them both. I'm not even kidding myself, I'll probably have both eventually. Until then, I still can't decide.
Question for everyone; I have read about some detent issues with the Sage. Have they been resolved?
mad german

Post by mad german »

cabfrank wrote:I still like them both. I'm not even kidding myself, I'll probably have both eventually. Until then, I still can't decide.
Question for everyone; I have read about some detent issues with the Sage. Have they been resolved?
I thought I had some detent issues with my Sage 5, but upon further investigation and speaking with Spyderco CS, I determined that it's fine. When I spoke to CS, I was told that the **ever-so-slight** movement that you might or might not feel when deploying the blade is due to a slightly larger detent hole, and that it was designed like that on purpose. I did more research and determined that it's fine. When I say **ever-so-slight**, I really mean it. I gave my Sage 5 to several (about 10) different guys here at work, who are all knife guys, to see what they thought. I didn't mention what I thought was a detent issue. After all of them looked at it, played with it, opened and closed it a couple hundred times between all of them, not a single guy mentioned the detent. And believe me, they would have if they thought something was amiss.

Do yourself a favor and get both. If you can't get both right away, I'd go for the Sage 5. I like it a tad better than my Para 3.
My collection is ever changing!
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Thanks for the info, good to hear.
jeff4air

Post by jeff4air »

EmperorMA wrote:I am 100% in agreement with the OP.

I researched hard before I purchased. I looked at and held and played with both the Para 3 and Sage 5 before plunking down the cash. I just couldn't get over how well the Para 3 felt in my hand, so I bought one.

In hindsight, I should have most definitely went with Sage 5.
If it makes you feel better, I will end up with Para 3 as well.

I see some common items in our wishlist. Race you to KW for a 204p Military.
Wishlist- Salt 2 SE H1