Reinhold Rhino Update

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
knivesandbooks

Re: Reinhold Rhino Update

Postby knivesandbooks » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:40 pm

Update: After a day of carrying this in my slacks, I've ordered a MXG black coated deep carry clip. Not that I mind shallow carry (usually prefer it) but the shallow carry plus shiny clip wasn't working too well for me in the office.
I own an assisted knife and am embarrassed to admit I enjoy it.

razorsharp

Postby razorsharp » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:28 pm

Just got mine in from the good folks at SFO for the calendar contest. Its a fantastic knife. Going to take a bit of work to get the action to where I don't have to do hand acrobatics to close it 1 handed. And I do feel like it is begging for a liner lock, but they're my only gripes, its great otherwise :)

knivesandbooks

Postby knivesandbooks » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:44 pm

Update to an update: I no longer carry this one with a pocket clip. I let it float in the pocket bottom or in my third pocket.

I too would like this to be a liner lock. My thumb wants it to be a liner lock.
I own an assisted knife and am embarrassed to admit I enjoy it.

MichaelScott

Postby MichaelScott » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:05 am

Mine broke in very well. I can easily close it with one hand although the blade does not drop free. I moved the clip to the show side where it strangely fits my fingers just right. my biggest challenge was learning to sharpen it properly. it remains one of my favorites.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation

toocool006

Postby toocool006 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:46 pm

Mine has broken in very well indeed - supremely flickable, and while the blade does not drop free (as with Michael's), I am easily able to close it one-handed with a few different techniques.

Video: https://tinyurl.com/y9sdnk7n
~andrew

MichaelScott

Postby MichaelScott » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:36 pm

toocool006 wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:46 pm
Mine has broken in very well indeed - supremely flickable, and while the blade does not drop free (as with Michael's), I am easily able to close it one-handed with a few different techniques.

Video: https://tinyurl.com/y9sdnk7n
Perhaps I misspoke. My blade does not drop free from gravity alone. I can give my wrist a short flip and it will swing down, sometimes to the almost closed position. Then I nudge it into place with my index finger.

Or I use my thumb on the lock tab and index finger in the hole to close. Or I trip the lock and shake the blade down until the ricasso hits my finger and stops.

My biggest difficulty was getting that big sweep on the edge sharp enough to my liking. Took a deal of Sharpmaker practice.

All to the good as I am completely satisfied and amazed at the ergonomics on this small knife.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

Team Innovation

JRinFL

Postby JRinFL » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:50 pm

It took a while, but I finally got a Rhino, used but like new. @SpyderNut has designed a superlative small folder and the factory has done justice to the great design. The Rhino has even replaced my beloved Dragonfly for EDC.
When another used one popped up, I did something I normally avoid doing, I bought a “pre-need replacement”! That’s how much I like the design. Sadly, it also means I’ll need to avoid buying one of the newer designs, but like most people, I can’t have it all. I can have two Rhinos though :D
Used to be JR in CT with a much earlier join date. :rolleyes: :spyder: Native in 440v was my gateway Spyderco! :spyder: Wharnie for the whin! Friends call me Jim. As do my enemies.

MichaelScott

Postby MichaelScott » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:31 am

I felt the same when I got mine. I was ordering something from SFO and, while on the site I thought, buy something else and save on shipping. So, I popped a Rhino into the cart. I had been kind of interested because of its unique design but until that moment I had not considered buying one. An impulse buy for sure.

I am so glad I did. It has become my most carried small folder. I am still learning how to sharpen the sweeping blade and how to best use it, it is so versatile.

Let us know how it works for you.

Team Innovation

Halfneck

Postby Halfneck » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:26 pm

Got a good deal on a Rhino on the second-hand market and it arrived today. I really like this little/big knife. Slowly getting it sharpened up to how I like. The sweeping edge will take some getting use to. Looking forward to carrying it to work tomorrow.

1st knife of 2019!

Big50

Postby Big50 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:42 pm

The Rhino still rolls through my rotation. Each time it does, I’m reminded of how useful it is. Like others, it was kind of an impulse buy. It was a good impulse.

kirilpetkov

Postby kirilpetkov » Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:53 pm

a great little knife

MichaelScott

Postby MichaelScott » Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:57 pm

The lightweight and the heavyweight

Team Innovation

JRinFL

Postby JRinFL » Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:09 pm

Great indeed. Classy and fully functional gentleman’s knife.
Used to be JR in CT with a much earlier join date. :rolleyes: :spyder: Native in 440v was my gateway Spyderco! :spyder: Wharnie for the whin! Friends call me Jim. As do my enemies.

The Meat man

Postby The Meat man » Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:59 pm

MichaelScott wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:57 pm
How do you like the Techno 2? I had my eye on it once upon a time. It's a pricey little knife but looks extremely well made.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"

MichaelScott

Postby MichaelScott » Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:38 pm

The Meat man wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:59 pm
MichaelScott wrote:
How do you like the Techno 2? I had my eye on it once upon a time. It's a pricey little knife but looks extremely well made.
I was interested for a long while. I like Marcin Slysz’s designs and I like smaller knives, but as you said, it is pricey. But not that pricey considering. I did not, nor have had, a knife scaled in titanium. That alone was very interesting to me. I also like the idea of a knife heavy enough to really work hard when necessary, and that could slice well too. I also appreciate a excellent build to accompany good designs. Finally, I am reducing my accumulation to three or four really good user knives, so spending a bit more for a few high quality knives somehow makes sense.

Then, being stuck at home recently, I was rewatching a Shabazz review of the Slysz Bowie in which he discusses the awesome design and execution of it with that knife. So, I went and checked the going price. Sticker shock to put it mildly. I thought, you know, that Techno 2 is a titanium frame Slysz and Spyderco collaboration too. I watched Nick’s review which is not as positive as his Bowie review, but it seemed to me that all of the design and execution elements were present in the Techno 2 as in the Bowie, except the Bowie’s blade is a bit easier to deploy. All the other objective points he liked about the Bowie, are present in the Techno 2.

My assessment has proven accurate, as well as Nick’s deployment issue. But, I have adapted my opening method a bit and that isn’t really an issue for me. The Techno 2 is a knife that requires a honeymoon in order to get acquainted. It is different, a quality piece of machinery expressing design elements from a master.

Makes me smile.

Team Innovation

The Meat man

Postby The Meat man » Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:12 pm

MichaelScott wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:38 pm
The Meat man wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:59 pm
MichaelScott wrote:
I was interested for a long while. I like Marcin Slysz’s designs and I like smaller knives, but as you said, it is pricey. But not that pricey considering. I did not, nor have had, a knife scaled in titanium. That alone was very interesting to me. I also like the idea of a knife heavy enough to really work hard when necessary, and that could slice well too. I also appreciate a excellent build to accompany good designs. Finally, I am reducing my accumulation to three or four really good user knives, so spending a bit more for a few high quality knives somehow makes sense.

Then, being stuck at home recently, I was rewatching a Shabazz review of the Slysz Bowie in which he discusses the awesome design and execution of it with that knife. So, I went and checked the going price. Sticker shock to put it mildly. I thought, you know, that Techno 2 is a titanium frame Slysz and Spyderco collaboration too. I watched Nick’s review which is not as positive as his Bowie review, but it seemed to me that all of the design and execution elements were present in the Techno 2 as in the Bowie, except the Bowie’s blade is a bit easier to deploy. All the other objective points he liked about the Bowie, are present in the Techno 2.

My assessment has proven accurate, as well as Nick’s deployment issue. But, I have adapted my opening method a bit and that isn’t really an issue for me. The Techno 2 is a knife that requires a honeymoon in order to get acquainted. It is different, a quality piece of machinery expressing design elements from a master.

Makes me smile.

That was my thought too. It looks like a knife that you could really push hard if need be, while still maintaining a high level of elegance, in a nice compact package. In general I prefer larger knives but small, well-built knives also have their appeal. Hence my recent purchase of the St Nick's Lil Native exclusive, which also came in handy when traveling to restrictive areas such as Chicago. It's good to have a quality sub-3" blade in such cases.
One feature that stood out to me on the Techno 2 is the blade finish. Looks like a kind of mirror-polished stonewash? Beautifully done.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"

Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”