Reinhold Rhino Update

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderNut

Re: Reinhold Rhino Update

Post by SpyderNut »

Surfingringo wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:27 pm
I bought one for my Dad at Blade but I won't be able to send it to him for another month or so. So....I've been enjoying it until then. No kayak use or anything but there's been plenty of fondling. I'm really impressed with the design. I'm not really a fan of most three finger handles (and though I can squeeze 4 fingers on the grip I would consider this a 3 finger handle), but this one works very well for my hand. My pinkie finger rides very comfortably on the butt and it feels almost like I've got a full grip on the knife. I like the negative blade angle and how it offers good pull cut leverage at the heel but still allow the tip to be used on a flat surface even with all that belly. Overall it seems like a very well thought out and executed design. I'll probably get one for myself eventually.
Thank you, Lance. I was really hoping to hear a fishing story with that knife, lol. Maybe your father wouldn’t notice a little fish patina? ;)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Here are some comparison shots with the Lil Native
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I can already tell I’m gonna want to put an mxg clip on mine.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
swigert

Post by swigert »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:30 pm
Does he do one for that hole pattern?
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

swigert wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:01 pm
Liquid Cobra wrote:

Dang I guess I just assumed the standard ones would fit. I don’t think they will.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390

@liquid_cobra
swigert

Post by swigert »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:12 pm
swigert wrote:
Liquid Cobra wrote:

Dang I guess I just assumed the standard ones would fit. I don’t think they will.
Nope. I made that same mistake with the green g10 worker sprint. Tried to get a Lynch clip on it. Close, but no cigar.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

SpyderNut wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:29 pm
elena86 wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 9:42 am
SpyderNut wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 9:22 pm
Hi All,
Thank you for the kind words. I have a proper “Thank you” in-the-works. ;)

Hi Sal,
Amen to that! :D

Hey Michael, you did a great job in designing this little sucker :) . Please be so kind and provide some specs; I'm mostly interested in cutting edge lenght and behind the edge thickness.Thanx
Thank you, Marius. Appreciate that! :) The cutting edge on the Rhino is 2.29" (58 mm) and my calipers show approximately .0015" behind the edge.
Awesome ! I’ll purchase one for sure but I am looking forward to the 3 Inch Rhino :eek: That would be a dream user :cool:
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Zendemic

Post by Zendemic »

After such a long wait, it's finally here! Holy cow, was it worth the wait! Hopped in my car and drove over to my local knife shop as soon as i heard it was in stock!

ImageSpyderco Rhino by Nico, on Flickr
gundamaniac

Post by gundamaniac »

Nice local knife shop. Do they have a good selection of Spydercos there? :p
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Happy to report I got my hands on the new Rhino! Here you can see it’s the perfect size for my 4 year old son. Luckily it fits my large hands very well. Well done Spyderco and congrats Michael. The wait has definitely paid off.

@liquid_cobra
camvdcs

Post by camvdcs »

I usually don't like blades smaller than 2 3/4". I've been holding off on it to read some of the reviews. Looking at the quality build and the fact that I bypassed the Leafstorm (wanted it after it was retired), I pulled the trigger and ordered a Rhino. I just know if I don't, I'll regret it. I can only hope that they'll make a 3" version in the future.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

It's a fun blade shape. Not used to so much belly (on my knives anyways :D ) I'm enjoying it.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:33 am
It's a fun blade shape. Not used to so much belly (on my knives anyways :D ) I'm enjoying it.
I worried about the belly on a gent's knife until I realized that the big belly, on a knife that size and with the negative blade angle, would be terrific for opening boxes. Instead of angling my wrist to puncture with the point, I can slice with the belly while my knuckles rest on the box, without any deep penetration that could cut the stuff inside.

It looks like the Rhino has three blade zones with really different purposes: right above the ricasso, the negative angle will grab onto stuff you're pull-cutting; the belly will provide shallow cutting in parallel with the knuckles; and the point is for splinter pickin'. It's like the anti-Wharncliffe (which has been my preferred gent's knife format so far), and I think it just might work.

At first the weird looks were putting me off, but even they're growing on me. I just need to sell a kidney or something to free up the funds for this and a few other good ones this year.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

I got a chance to handle one and it's very well made as expected. Looked flawless to me.
That said, the handle wasn't as comfortable for me as the Lil' Native. I have medium hands. There's enough space but I don't like the finger grooves.
Rhix

Post by Rhix »

My Rhino just arrived from the CS and it’s beautiful! Even though it’s a small knife, it fits my hand perfectly in a couple different grips. I love the ergonomics, the blade, the handle material and the blade steel. For me it’s better than I expected. It’s a wonderful design and pictures don’t do it justice. I don’t intend to disparage those with a differing opinion. No knife is perfect for every person and some will love it and others will not. I love it and can’t wait for an occasion to give one as a gift.
Thanks,
:spyder:
Robert
Rhix

Post by Rhix »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:12 pm
swigert wrote:
Liquid Cobra wrote:

If he does one for Benchmade that should fit. I have an old BM Mini-Grip deep carry clip and the hole pattern lined-up. I couldn’t bring myself to bastardize my Rhino, but I checked the fit anyway.
:spyder:
Robert
Big50

Post by Big50 »

I can confirm that the standard Benchmade clip pattern will work. However, the Rhino’s screws are slightly smaller in diameter than Benchmade.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Big50 wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:08 pm
I can confirm that the standard Benchmade clip pattern will work. However, the Rhino’s screws are slightly smaller in diameter than Benchmade.

That is good to know. I saw yesterday on IG that BM's Bugout clip will actually fit the Rhino too. (It's a deep-carry clip).

-Michael
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
BobbyT

Post by BobbyT »

Hi Michael. I absolutely love the Rhino. Great balance between size and ergonomics. Awesome job, man.

And for those who are wondering about clip options, here is a quick comparison. The left is the standard clip. The middle one is the shorter Deep Carry Clip for Benchmade from MXG Gear. Right is the Armorous Clip for Benchmade & Emerson from Rev Hartz.

Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

Dragonfly 2, Rhino, & Chaparral 6 comparison.