Reinhold Rhino Update

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderNut

Re: Reinhold Rhino Update

Post by SpyderNut »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:A great update and more importantly PROTOTYPE PIC of the new and improved Reinhold Rhino per this month's Spyderco Byte: :D

"Designed by Michael Reinhold, the Reinhold Rhino is one of the most eagerly anticipated designs in Spyderco’s current catalog. Unfortunately, the first production run of this knife did not meet our stringent quality-control standards. We could not, in good faith, release it knowing it was less than what our customers—and the knife’s designer—deserve.

After careful consideration, we have decided to move production of the Reinhold Rhino to our manufacturing facility in Taichung, Taiwan. To take full advantage of their proven expertise, we have also decided to upgrade the design to make it truly worth the wait. The upgrades that will be incorporated into the Rhino will include:

- CTS® XHP blade steel
- Peel-ply textured carbon fiber/G-10 laminate handle scales
- Phosphor bronze washers

We understand that this plan of action is a departure from the original concept of the Reinhold Rhino; however, we are confident that it is the best way to achieve a worthy, high-performance expression of Michael's design.

Based on the change of materials, the Rhino will receive a new SKU. We will share that information and any additional details concerning its pricing and availability as soon as they become available. Thank you for your understanding and patience."

Looks AWESOME Michael, congratulations!! Cheers, Radioactive :)
Thank you for the kind words and for posting this, my friend. And a big "Thank You" to the Spyderco Crew for the nice mention in the Byte. I am beyond excited! :D
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

This new improved version is a no-brainer. Cannot wait.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Filoso-

Post by Filoso- »

^^I think so too... it is a must have for me
Last edited by Filoso- on Sun May 28, 2017 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

Some people were upset by what they thought was a bait a switch...... I for one was not. I didn't like the original, and this one appeals to me way more
rivy

Post by rivy »

I'm holding judgement based on the final pricing, but I am a bit worried.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Any Updates/Gossip After Blade Show!? :D
Did anyone get to lay hands on one?
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Michael, I saw two of your new knives in the Spyderco prototype cabinet. Bro, you really outdid yourself with those. Seriously man, your craftsmanship is top notch! I was very impressed.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

What is second knife?
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

bh49 wrote:What is second knife?
There were a couple of new designs in there...aside from the rhino. I think one was called a Barlow? Kind of classic looking designs with a modern interpretation. I don't know how to describe them but they were impressive!
bh49

Post by bh49 »

thank you
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Surfingringo wrote:Michael, I saw two of your new knives in the Spyderco prototype cabinet. Bro, you really outdid yourself with those. Seriously man, your craftsmanship is top notch! I was very impressed.
Thank you, Lance! Man, I really appreciate the kind words. It's always a little nerve-wracking to submit new designs, so hearing a positive report goes a very long way. :) :D :)

On a side note, I apologize I didn't get a chance to meet you at the Show. I was hoping to see you and some of the other Forumites at the Spyderco booth. I hope to plan things better next year (i.e. get an earlier start :rolleyes: ) so that we can meet up maybe prior to the Show. We're like one big family here on the Forum, so maybe an annual Spyderco Forum Reunion at Blade would be something we could organize? :)

Take care my friend,

Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
araneae

Post by araneae »

rivy wrote:I'm holding judgement based on the final pricing, but I am a bit worried.
Same
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
remnar

Post by remnar »

araneae wrote:
rivy wrote:I'm holding judgement based on the final pricing, but I am a bit worried.
Same
Ditto!

The price point of the original was one of the things that made it so appealing. I hope the new version isn't priced out of my budget.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Michael,

Since Lance let cat out of bag, may be you can tell more about other protos?
Roman

bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

The word Barlow gets me excited. I am curious about this one. Michael, congrats on getting more knives in the queue. :)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

bh49 wrote:Michael,

Since Lance let cat out of bag, may be you can tell more about other protos?
Roman
It would be my pleasure. :) I'm not sure how much I can say at this time, but I think it is okay to at least say that I showed Eric two new folders that I finished in April. We talked for a while about both and then Eric was kind enough to put them in the prototype display case. We'll see what type of reaction they get and then go from there. ;)
bearfacedkiller wrote:The word Barlow gets me excited. I am curious about this one. Michael, congrats on getting more knives in the queue. :)
Thank you, Darby! :) It is such an honor and privilege to see some of my work on display with Spyderco. The Barlow was a lot of fun! Really enjoyed making that one. I'm still amazed though that other people might actually like some of my work. :o

-Michael

palonej

Post by palonej »

Lots of people enjoy your designs my friend!!
You have a great design eye!!
Now get them on the shelves!!!!
I, for one, am thrilled with the change in materials for the Rhino!! It looks amazing!!
Joe
SG89

Post by SG89 »

palonej wrote:Lots of people enjoy your designs my friend!!
I, for one, am thrilled with the change in materials for the Rhino!! It looks amazing!!
Joe
Ditto!
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
palonej wrote:Lots of people enjoy your designs my friend!!
Joe
Ditto!
Thank you kindly, Joe and Spydergirl88! Really appreciate the nice words. :)

Sildani

Post by Sildani »

That looks excellent. I like how the blade folds down neatly into the handle. So long as the price isn't outrageous, like $110-$120, I'm on.