Reinhold Rhino Update

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
curlyhairedboy

Re: Reinhold Rhino Update

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Planning on grabbing one of these for a buddy of mine.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
T_MAC686

Post by T_MAC686 »

:confused: :confused: :confused:
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

This knife must be really hard to make.
- best wishes, Jazz.
KnickKnackCity

Post by KnickKnackCity »

Sounds like there will be some sweet stocking stuffers just around the bend. Very excited that this design is finally coming to fruition.

Out of curiosity though I'm wondering what happens to that first run that wasn't up to quality standards? Did anyone get any info on this at the seconds sale? 1,200 knives into a giant forge to make a giant rhino paperweight? :D
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

KnickKnackCity wrote: Out of curiosity though I'm wondering what happens to that first run that wasn't up to quality standards? Did anyone get any info on this at the seconds sale? 1,200 knives into a giant forge to make a giant rhino paperweight? :D
None at the seconds sale. From what I was told (somebody else in the line said they had asked about it), they'll be at the next sale. Spyderco didn't want to sell the seconds before the release of the improved Rhino.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
thewoodpecker

Post by thewoodpecker »

sal wrote:Good news..........and they're beautiful.
sal

On the Rhino from this thread: //forum.spyderco.com/viewto ... =2&t=76671
Spyderco Caly 3.5 Super Blue user, Astute enthusiast, and geometry advocate.
rivy

Post by rivy »

Oh man, I'd love one of the original rhino builds. I doubt I am going to want one at the price of the updated materials... under $50 was going to be awesome.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

rivy wrote:Oh man, I'd love one of the original rhino builds. I doubt I am going to want one at the price of the updated materials... under $50 was going to be awesome.
No doubt the original build will still be a nice knife, but I was very happy to hear this knife was going to be top Spyderco Quality. Plastic washers and BDS-1 were... uninspiring to me.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
mrtodd777

Post by mrtodd777 »

ZrowsN1s wrote: No doubt the original build will still be a nice knife, but I was very happy to hear this knife was going to be top Spyderco Quality. Plastic washers and BDS-1 were... uninspiring to me.
I am with you. If you are going to spend your money on something, why wouldn't you want it to be the best it could be..
rivy

Post by rivy »

mrtodd777 wrote:
ZrowsN1s wrote: No doubt the original build will still be a nice knife, but I was very happy to hear this knife was going to be top Spyderco Quality. Plastic washers and BDS-1 were... uninspiring to me.
I am with you. If you are going to spend your money on something, why wouldn't you want it to be the best it could be..
Because the Rhino is a small, oddly shaped, niche knife that will not see everyday use. It’s more of a novelty to me. Cool, but not a PM2 or Sage type knife that sees lots of pocket time.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

rivy wrote: Because the Rhino is a small, oddly shaped, niche knife that will not see everyday use.....
Small, oddly shaped, niche knife sounds like my kind of EDC :D but I acknowledged my tastes aren't everyone's. Is clip point an odd shape though?

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Just wondering, if Rhino will come out before January 2018.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
foofie

Post by foofie »

I have been eagerly awaiting the rhino. After looking at the pics in the new catalog, I have two observations/concerns.

1) when closed, the blade kick is in the compression lock cut-out. This means that if your finger stays on the compression lock while closing, the blade may bounce off your finger and not fully close?
2) the catalog says 3.5mm blade stock. Seems a bit thick?

I realize we will have to wait and see, but these two details have me a bit worried now.
I find it interesting too that the stop pin is more like a pm2 than the para 3.
Mr Danger

Post by Mr Danger »

foofie wrote: 1) when closed, the blade kick is in the compression lock cut-out. This means that if your finger stays on the compression lock while closing, the blade may bounce off your finger and not fully close?

I've had this concern since seeing the original Spyderco G10 prototype. The lock cutout is crowded and looks like a pinch point.
Sharp knife / hairless arm.
foofie

Post by foofie »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote: Image
One more observation. This pic, and the catalog pic seem to show Taipei, Taiwan on the blade, rather than Taichung.

Is this a different plant (since it is a different city)?
Can you tell how excited I am... :D
bh49

Post by bh49 »

foofie wrote: 2) the catalog says 3.5mm blade stock. Seems a bit thick?
It is thick. In my book the blade shouldn't be thicker than 2.5 mm. I can live with 3 mm, but 3.5 can became a deal breaker for me.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

How is the blade going to bounce off your finger while closing? Or are you talking about closing it by holding down on the compression lock and flipping it shut using wrist motion? If so, just close it normally.
Molle Ninja

Post by Molle Ninja »

Bring it!
foofie

Post by foofie »

Halfneck wrote:How is the blade going to bounce off your finger while closing? Or are you talking about closing it by holding down on the compression lock and flipping it shut using wrist motion? If so, just close it normally.
None of my quibbles are deal breakers - just observations. I will still get one as soon as they come out. :)

And yes - I do like closing my comp lock with one hand flick. I thought that was normal :p
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Was very happy to see this in the catalog. Can't wait :D