Reinhold Rhino Update

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
benben

Re: Reinhold Rhino Update

Post by benben »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:06 am
Two things...seeing this thread makes me feel a bit sad about MichaelScott's recent passing, and feel for his friends and family during what is already a tough holiday season...and the other is, that photo above with the 3 models with the different clips...why on god's green earth would ANYBODY put that monstrosity of a pocket clip on the right on ANY knife, let alone such a nice design as the Rhino!?!? I threw up in my mouth a little bit when I just saw that thing! :confused:
AMEN!! This post made me laugh!! :D
austrian_spyder_fan

Post by austrian_spyder_fan »

The Rhino is on my wish list/shopping list in 2021.
Salty Dog

Post by Salty Dog »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Two things...seeing this thread makes me feel a bit sad about MichaelScott's recent passing, and feel for his friends and family during what is already a tough holiday season...and the other is, that photo above with the 3 models with the different clips...why on god's green earth would ANYBODY put that monstrosity of a pocket clip on the right on ANY knife, let alone such a nice design as the Rhino!?!? I threw up in my mouth a little bit when I just saw that thing! :confused:
Very sad to hear this, my apologies I wasn't aware.
I feel a bit sad that I wasn't able to let him know how much I appreciated his great design.
All the power to Michael on his next travels, hope they are full of love, happiness and good knives.
Blessings and thoughts to his family and friends.
Its nice a bit of him lives on in this knife.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Salty Dog wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:27 am
TkoK83Spy wrote:
I feel a bit sad that I wasn't able to let him know how much I appreciated his great design.
All the power to Michael on his next travels, hope they are full of love, happiness and good knives.
The designer is named Michael Reinhold... Michael Scott was a forum member that recently passed away.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Salty Dog

Post by Salty Dog »

austrian_spyder_fan wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:25 am
Hi mate, I got mine from the knife warehouse in the ACT, they still have it in stock for $219 free shipping.
That worked out cheaper than buying overseas, not a bad price for here in Oz
I have no affiliation with them or any store.
Seems to be one of the only places selling them in Oz, get on it bro :)
Salty Dog

Post by Salty Dog »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:32 am
Salty Dog wrote:
TkoK83Spy wrote:
The designer is named Michael Reinhold... Michael Scott was a forum member that recently passed away.
Im confused lol, I thought he was in this thread?
So ive been thanking the wrong Michael? lol :)
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Salty Dog wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:37 am
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:32 am
Salty Dog wrote:
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Im confused lol, I thought he was in this thread?
So ive been thanking the wrong Michael? lol :)
The designer's forum name is SpyderNut. Kind of confusing lol with the 2 Michaels
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Salty Dog wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:35 am
Hi mate, I got mine from the knife warehouse in the ACT, they still have it in stock for $219 free shipping.
I have a feeling that you think Markus (aka Austrian Spyder Fan) does live in AustrAlia... while he (and me too by the way) is in Austria/Europe... ;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Salty Dog

Post by Salty Dog »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:01 am
Salty Dog wrote:
I have a feeling that you think Markus (aka Austrian Spyder Fan) does live in AustrAlia... while he (and me too by the way) is in Austria/Europe... ;)
Hahaha! that will teach me for posting at 3.30am in the morning, im having a shocker lol, just giving myself an uppercut now..
Bed time for me lol, thanks mate.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Salty Dog wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:25 am
Wartstein wrote:
Salty Dog wrote:
Hahaha! that will teach me for posting at 3.30am in the morning, im having a shocker lol, just giving myself an uppercut now..

:p ...

You were just trying to help him out, that´s only a good thing! :)

Btw, confusion oi Austria and Australia is very common: As far as I know the Austrian post service even has a dedicated stamper for shipments that wrongly went to Austria instead of Australia - and there is a motto shirt many tourists buy saying "no kangaroos in Austria" ;)

Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:04 pm
Salty Dog wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
Salty Dog wrote:

Btw, confusion oi Austria and Australia is very common: As far as I know the Austrian post service even has a dedicated stamper for shipments that wrongly went to Austria instead of Australia - and there is a motto shirt many tourists buy saying "no kangaroos in Austria" ;)

Clearly you are forgetting the rare Giant Alpine 'Roo. Far deadlier than the Australian Drop Bear.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Hahah, love that shirt!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Salty Dog

Post by Salty Dog »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:04 pm
Salty Dog wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
Salty Dog wrote:

Haha! but im Australian and read it wrong through my squinted early morning eyes, I need to hand in my Aussie card lol
Happy Christmas bro.
austrian_spyder_fan

Post by austrian_spyder_fan »

Salty Dog wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
Salty Dog wrote:
He Salty Dog,

if you ever come to Austria, let me know.
So i'll buy a round Austrian beer!

Merry Xmas to Down Unser
ASF
Salty Dog

Post by Salty Dog »

Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:25 am
Salty Dog wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
Salty Dog wrote:

He Salty Dog,

if you ever come to Austria, let me know.
So i'll buy a round Austrian beer!

Merry Xmas to Down Unser
ASF
Thanks brother, same goes, hope you're having a nice Christmas mate.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Very sad to hear about Michael Scott's passing. He was certainly a kind-hearted gentleman and a good friend to many of us here on the forum. I unfortunately never had the opportunity to meet him in person, but I always appreciated his contributions to the forum, as well as his good sense of humor. My sincere condolences to his family.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Salty Dog wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:58 am
Hi Michael, Ive read you are the man responsible for these Rhino, ive come to give my thanks and appreciation brother.
Im relatively new to spydercos, my brother got me into Spyderco last year and ive fallen down the hole.
Previous to buying the Rhino ive bought 6 golden models, this is my first non Golden knife and I absolutely love it mate, thank you very much to you, Sal, Eric and all the team.
Its come beautifully finished from the Taichung factory.
Zero blade play, lovely to flick, it even drops down really all the way when closed with one hand.

Love the nice big belly, love the blade thickness, its a bit like my lil native blade thickness wise which I love.
I think you made the exact right decision on a bit of a stronger stouter blade with this smaller Persian style blade design.
The blade shape is what sets your lil ripper apart from other small knives, it makes for an unusual and interesting knife that makes a great little gents knife on steroids.
To be honest the options arnt huge for smaller spydercos, especially compression lock models.
I love small knives and the lil native, one of my fav knives, and so is your Rhino, very stout and strong little knives.

Ive seen the odd review making a few lil nitpicks of this knife, as reviews do for all knives but ive gotta say there's none that bother me.
I love the choil, everything a trade off with knives, if that means a little bit is coming through the compression cutout when closed, totally cool with me.
Also agree with no jumping on the top of the Rhino, just feels and looks cleaner on this design.
Awesome it has a lanyard hole, many small knives don't and its my only negative point on the lil native.

Whats the story with the blade logos being so deeply etched? is that etching or ground out? its a nice touch, both logos look great.

Anybody on the fence about a Rhino, id highly recommend getting one, its a killer and unusual knife that feels nice in the hand, perfect for a gents folder.

So thanks again Michael, Sal and the team, fantastic knife, great design and execution.

Cheers from Sydney.

Hello Salty Dog,

Many thanks for the kind words, my friend. :) Spyderco really did a fantastic job on the design. I'm very happy to hear the Rhino is working well for you. It was originally designed to serve as a pocket-sized skinning knife, but it can be useful for other non-hunting applications as well. I usually carry mine loose in my front right pocket, just like the traditional jackknives I used to carry when I was a kid.

Thanks again! Hope you and yours have a very happy New Year!

-Michael
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Salty Dog

Post by Salty Dog »

SpyderNut wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 8:53 pm
Salty Dog wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:58 am
Hi Michael, Ive read you are the man responsible for these Rhino, ive come to give my thanks and appreciation brother.
Im relatively new to spydercos, my brother got me into Spyderco last year and ive fallen down the hole.
Previous to buying the Rhino ive bought 6 golden models, this is my first non Golden knife and I absolutely love it mate, thank you very much to you, Sal, Eric and all the team.
Its come beautifully finished from the Taichung factory.
Zero blade play, lovely to flick, it even drops down really all the way when closed with one hand.

Love the nice big belly, love the blade thickness, its a bit like my lil native blade thickness wise which I love.
I think you made the exact right decision on a bit of a stronger stouter blade with this smaller Persian style blade design.
The blade shape is what sets your lil ripper apart from other small knives, it makes for an unusual and interesting knife that makes a great little gents knife on steroids.
To be honest the options arnt huge for smaller spydercos, especially compression lock models.
I love small knives and the lil native, one of my fav knives, and so is your Rhino, very stout and strong little knives.

Ive seen the odd review making a few lil nitpicks of this knife, as reviews do for all knives but ive gotta say there's none that bother me.
I love the choil, everything a trade off with knives, if that means a little bit is coming through the compression cutout when closed, totally cool with me.
Also agree with no jumping on the top of the Rhino, just feels and looks cleaner on this design.
Awesome it has a lanyard hole, many small knives don't and its my only negative point on the lil native.

Whats the story with the blade logos being so deeply etched? is that etching or ground out? its a nice touch, both logos look great.

Anybody on the fence about a Rhino, id highly recommend getting one, its a killer and unusual knife that feels nice in the hand, perfect for a gents folder.

So thanks again Michael, Sal and the team, fantastic knife, great design and execution.

Cheers from Sydney.

Hello Salty Dog,

Many thanks for the kind words, my friend. :) Spyderco really did a fantastic job on the design. I'm very happy to hear the Rhino is working well for you. It was originally designed to serve as a pocket-sized skinning knife, but it can be useful for other non-hunting applications as well. I usually carry mine loose in my front right pocket, just like the traditional jackknives I used to carry when I was a kid.

Thanks again! Hope you and yours have a very happy New Year!

-Michael
Thanks mike, this knifes really shown me I like a big bellied blade, really enjoying it mate.
Hope your New Years a nice one bro.