Reinhold Rhino Update

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
knivesandbooks

Re: Reinhold Rhino Update

Post by knivesandbooks »

Update: After a day of carrying this in my slacks, I've ordered a MXG black coated deep carry clip. Not that I mind shallow carry (usually prefer it) but the shallow carry plus shiny clip wasn't working too well for me in the office.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

Just got mine in from the good folks at SFO for the calendar contest. Its a fantastic knife. Going to take a bit of work to get the action to where I don't have to do hand acrobatics to close it 1 handed. And I do feel like it is begging for a liner lock, but they're my only gripes, its great otherwise :)
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Update to an update: I no longer carry this one with a pocket clip. I let it float in the pocket bottom or in my third pocket.

I too would like this to be a liner lock. My thumb wants it to be a liner lock.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Mine broke in very well. I can easily close it with one hand although the blade does not drop free. I moved the clip to the show side where it strangely fits my fingers just right. my biggest challenge was learning to sharpen it properly. it remains one of my favorites.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
toocool006

Post by toocool006 »

Mine has broken in very well indeed - supremely flickable, and while the blade does not drop free (as with Michael's), I am easily able to close it one-handed with a few different techniques.

Video: https://tinyurl.com/y9sdnk7n
~andrew
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

toocool006 wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:46 pm
Mine has broken in very well indeed - supremely flickable, and while the blade does not drop free (as with Michael's), I am easily able to close it one-handed with a few different techniques.

Video: https://tinyurl.com/y9sdnk7n
Perhaps I misspoke. My blade does not drop free from gravity alone. I can give my wrist a short flip and it will swing down, sometimes to the almost closed position. Then I nudge it into place with my index finger.

Or I use my thumb on the lock tab and index finger in the hole to close. Or I trip the lock and shake the blade down until the ricasso hits my finger and stops.

My biggest difficulty was getting that big sweep on the edge sharp enough to my liking. Took a deal of Sharpmaker practice.

All to the good as I am completely satisfied and amazed at the ergonomics on this small knife.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

Team Innovation
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

It took a while, but I finally got a Rhino, used but like new. @SpyderNut has designed a superlative small folder and the factory has done justice to the great design. The Rhino has even replaced my beloved Dragonfly for EDC.
When another used one popped up, I did something I normally avoid doing, I bought a “pre-need replacement”! That’s how much I like the design. Sadly, it also means I’ll need to avoid buying one of the newer designs, but like most people, I can’t have it all. I can have two Rhinos though :D
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I felt the same when I got mine. I was ordering something from SFO and, while on the site I thought, buy something else and save on shipping. So, I popped a Rhino into the cart. I had been kind of interested because of its unique design but until that moment I had not considered buying one. An impulse buy for sure.

I am so glad I did. It has become my most carried small folder. I am still learning how to sharpen the sweeping blade and how to best use it, it is so versatile.

Let us know how it works for you.

Team Innovation
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Got a good deal on a Rhino on the second-hand market and it arrived today. I really like this little/big knife. Slowly getting it sharpened up to how I like. The sweeping edge will take some getting use to. Looking forward to carrying it to work tomorrow.

1st knife of 2019!
Big50

Post by Big50 »

The Rhino still rolls through my rotation. Each time it does, I’m reminded of how useful it is. Like others, it was kind of an impulse buy. It was a good impulse.
kirilpetkov

Post by kirilpetkov »

a great little knife

MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

The lightweight and the heavyweight

Team Innovation
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Great indeed. Classy and fully functional gentleman’s knife.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

MichaelScott wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:57 pm
How do you like the Techno 2? I had my eye on it once upon a time. It's a pricey little knife but looks extremely well made.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

The Meat man wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:59 pm
MichaelScott wrote:
How do you like the Techno 2? I had my eye on it once upon a time. It's a pricey little knife but looks extremely well made.
I was interested for a long while. I like Marcin Slysz’s designs and I like smaller knives, but as you said, it is pricey. But not that pricey considering. I did not, nor have had, a knife scaled in titanium. That alone was very interesting to me. I also like the idea of a knife heavy enough to really work hard when necessary, and that could slice well too. I also appreciate a excellent build to accompany good designs. Finally, I am reducing my accumulation to three or four really good user knives, so spending a bit more for a few high quality knives somehow makes sense.

Then, being stuck at home recently, I was rewatching a Shabazz review of the Slysz Bowie in which he discusses the awesome design and execution of it with that knife. So, I went and checked the going price. Sticker shock to put it mildly. I thought, you know, that Techno 2 is a titanium frame Slysz and Spyderco collaboration too. I watched Nick’s review which is not as positive as his Bowie review, but it seemed to me that all of the design and execution elements were present in the Techno 2 as in the Bowie, except the Bowie’s blade is a bit easier to deploy. All the other objective points he liked about the Bowie, are present in the Techno 2.

My assessment has proven accurate, as well as Nick’s deployment issue. But, I have adapted my opening method a bit and that isn’t really an issue for me. The Techno 2 is a knife that requires a honeymoon in order to get acquainted. It is different, a quality piece of machinery expressing design elements from a master.

Makes me smile.

Team Innovation
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

MichaelScott wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:38 pm
The Meat man wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:59 pm
MichaelScott wrote:
I was interested for a long while. I like Marcin Slysz’s designs and I like smaller knives, but as you said, it is pricey. But not that pricey considering. I did not, nor have had, a knife scaled in titanium. That alone was very interesting to me. I also like the idea of a knife heavy enough to really work hard when necessary, and that could slice well too. I also appreciate a excellent build to accompany good designs. Finally, I am reducing my accumulation to three or four really good user knives, so spending a bit more for a few high quality knives somehow makes sense.

Then, being stuck at home recently, I was rewatching a Shabazz review of the Slysz Bowie in which he discusses the awesome design and execution of it with that knife. So, I went and checked the going price. Sticker shock to put it mildly. I thought, you know, that Techno 2 is a titanium frame Slysz and Spyderco collaboration too. I watched Nick’s review which is not as positive as his Bowie review, but it seemed to me that all of the design and execution elements were present in the Techno 2 as in the Bowie, except the Bowie’s blade is a bit easier to deploy. All the other objective points he liked about the Bowie, are present in the Techno 2.

My assessment has proven accurate, as well as Nick’s deployment issue. But, I have adapted my opening method a bit and that isn’t really an issue for me. The Techno 2 is a knife that requires a honeymoon in order to get acquainted. It is different, a quality piece of machinery expressing design elements from a master.

Makes me smile.

That was my thought too. It looks like a knife that you could really push hard if need be, while still maintaining a high level of elegance, in a nice compact package. In general I prefer larger knives but small, well-built knives also have their appeal. Hence my recent purchase of the St Nick's Lil Native exclusive, which also came in handy when traveling to restrictive areas such as Chicago. It's good to have a quality sub-3" blade in such cases.
One feature that stood out to me on the Techno 2 is the blade finish. Looks like a kind of mirror-polished stonewash? Beautifully done.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Salty Dog

Post by Salty Dog »

SpyderNut wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:59 am
BobbyT wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:57 pm
Hi Michael. I absolutely love the Rhino. Great balance between size and ergonomics. Awesome job, man.

And for those who are wondering about clip options, here is a quick comparison. The left is the standard clip. The middle one is the shorter Deep Carry Clip for Benchmade from MXG Gear. Right is the Armorous Clip for Benchmade & Emerson from Rev Hartz.

Hi Bobby,

Thanks for the compliments, my friend. I'm glad you're enjoying your new knife! :) Great picture too, by the way. That clip on the far right is pretty stinking cool!

Welcome aboard,

Michael

Hi Michael, Ive read you are the man responsible for these Rhino, ive come to give my thanks and appreciation brother.
Im relatively new to spydercos, my brother got me into Spyderco last year and ive fallen down the hole.
Previous to buying the Rhino ive bought 6 golden models, this is my first non Golden knife and I absolutely love it mate, thank you very much to you, Sal, Eric and all the team.
Its come beautifully finished from the Taichung factory.
Zero blade play, lovely to flick, it even drops down really all the way when closed with one hand.

Love the nice big belly, love the blade thickness, its a bit like my lil native blade thickness wise which I love.
I think you made the exact right decision on a bit of a stronger stouter blade with this smaller Persian style blade design.
The blade shape is what sets your lil ripper apart from other small knives, it makes for an unusual and interesting knife that makes a great little gents knife on steroids.
To be honest the options arnt huge for smaller spydercos, especially compression lock models.
I love small knives and the lil native, one of my fav knives, and so is your Rhino, very stout and strong little knives.

Ive seen the odd review making a few lil nitpicks of this knife, as reviews do for all knives but ive gotta say there's none that bother me.
I love the choil, everything a trade off with knives, if that means a little bit is coming through the compression cutout when closed, totally cool with me.
Also agree with no jumping on the top of the Rhino, just feels and looks cleaner on this design.
Awesome it has a lanyard hole, many small knives don't and its my only negative point on the lil native.

Whats the story with the blade logos being so deeply etched? is that etching or ground out? its a nice touch, both logos look great.

Anybody on the fence about a Rhino, id highly recommend getting one, its a killer and unusual knife that feels nice in the hand, perfect for a gents folder.

So thanks again Michael, Sal and the team, fantastic knife, great design and execution.

Cheers from Sydney.
Salty Dog

Post by Salty Dog »

My brains already in the new year lol, just realised I said I got into Spydercos last year, it was actually this year.
In a short time ive purchased a PM2, P3, P3 Lightweight, lil native, Native salt, native lightweight and the Rhino.
Looking forward to the new year :).
Happy Christmas to all, hope your New Years a great one.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

I'm still hopeful for a Rhino Grande in 2021!
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Two things...seeing this thread makes me feel a bit sad about MichaelScott's recent passing, and feel for his friends and family during what is already a tough holiday season...and the other is, that photo above with the 3 models with the different clips...why on god's green earth would ANYBODY put that monstrosity of a pocket clip on the right on ANY knife, let alone such a nice design as the Rhino!?!? I threw up in my mouth a little bit when I just saw that thing! :confused:
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick