Reinhold Rhino Update

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bearfacedkiller

Re: Reinhold Rhino Update

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Disappointment comes from expectation. There were no promises made here. If you expect less you will be disappointed less and surprised more.

Nothing is guaranteed until after it has has happened. Fluted Para2 never even happened. Neither did the FlutedCF Native5 in S90V. Many knives never come to fruition, that is just how it is. At least this knife didn't get the axe.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

araneae wrote: Whiners maybe, but its like buying a new car and when you go to pick it up they swapped in the top end model and said oh by the way, the car you wanted now isn't available but we'd love to sell you the limited edition for 50% more. Call me a whiner or call me disappointed and rightfully so.
I get where you are coming from. It actually explains why I'm really exited about this and you are not, I NEVER go for the base model. Give me the manual transmission, turbo charged limited edition, does it come in red? ;) But I can totally see how you are bummed out the $50 version is not happening, it's not unreasonable for you to feel let down.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Northglenn500

Post by Northglenn500 »

Look at it this way; Maybe it'll become so popular that a FRN version will be introduced that'll be much more affordable :)
SG89

Post by SG89 »

When the knife was first announced I thought it would make a great knife for my husband who is NOT a knife afi like me. I figured it was a great design with a comp lock for a low price if he doesn't use it very much it won't break my heart. I've given him expensive knives before and they sit there unused but if I give him old Kershaw or crkt beat to **** he will actually use them. So I am stoked they are making this knife in Taichung with upgraded steel and handle material bc I will be getting this knife for ME now! :D :D :D
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Sildani

Post by Sildani »

I'm still excited, make no mistake, but my excitement is tempered by the higher price. Which I will wait to see, by the way, before I decide whether or not to cancel my nonexistent pre-order. ;)
elmeringalo

Post by elmeringalo »

As far as I know, nobody in Spyderco has yet talked about the price, only confirming the realization of a good knife, which had not fullfilled their expectations. I prefer the new features
No por mucho tempranar, amanece mas madrugo
janka

Post by janka »

Thank you Spyderco!

While I understand some of the concerns about the price increase for this knife, I am ecstatic about these upgrades! This will be an outstanding design made with outstanding materials that I can actually carry in Japan with the strict 6cm blade length requirement. I can't wait for this to come out thank you Michael and thank you Spyderco!
bh49

Post by bh49 »

janka wrote:Thank you Spyderco!

While I understand some of the concerns about the price increase for this knife, I am ecstatic about these upgrades! This will be an outstanding design made with outstanding materials that I can actually carry in Japan with the strict 6cm blade length requirement. I can't wait for this to come out thank you Michael and thank you Spyderco!
janka,
Welcome to the Forum
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
sal

Post by sal »

Janka, Konichiwa,

Welcome to our forum. Hajimemashte.

sal
attila

Post by attila »

Any updates?
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

attila wrote:Any updates?
Hi Attila,
The last I spoke with Eric, they were in the process of getting things started in Taichung. I'm hoping to talk with Eric at the Blade Show in a few weeks, so maybe we'll get a little update. :)

Take care,

Michael
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
attila

Post by attila »

SpyderNut wrote:
attila wrote:Any updates?
Hi Attila,
The last I spoke with Eric, they were in the process of getting things started in Taichung. I'm hoping to talk with Eric at the Blade Show in a few weeks, so maybe we'll get a little update. :)

Take care,

Michael
Thanks Micheal! I look forward to potential post-Blade Show updates.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

palonej

Post by palonej »

I look forward to carrying this knife!!
Joe
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

A great update and more importantly PROTOTYPE PIC of the new and improved Reinhold Rhino per this month's Spyderco Byte: :D

"Designed by Michael Reinhold, the Reinhold Rhino is one of the most eagerly anticipated designs in Spyderco’s current catalog. Unfortunately, the first production run of this knife did not meet our stringent quality-control standards. We could not, in good faith, release it knowing it was less than what our customers—and the knife’s designer—deserve.

After careful consideration, we have decided to move production of the Reinhold Rhino to our manufacturing facility in Taichung, Taiwan. To take full advantage of their proven expertise, we have also decided to upgrade the design to make it truly worth the wait. The upgrades that will be incorporated into the Rhino will include:

- CTS® XHP blade steel
- Peel-ply textured carbon fiber/G-10 laminate handle scales
- Phosphor bronze washers

We understand that this plan of action is a departure from the original concept of the Reinhold Rhino; however, we are confident that it is the best way to achieve a worthy, high-performance expression of Michael's design.

Based on the change of materials, the Rhino will receive a new SKU. We will share that information and any additional details concerning its pricing and availability as soon as they become available. Thank you for your understanding and patience."

Looks AWESOME Michael, congratulations!! Cheers, Radioactive :)
Last edited by RadioactiveSpyder on Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Rhin-Oh Yeah!
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

WooHoo!
Time for another :spyder:!

-Matt
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Spydergirl88 wrote:Rhin-Oh Yeah!
Lulz. I need one of these too.

*And BTW even though this is a right hand open knife, THANK YOU to who ever decided to make the clip reversible. Otherwise I couldn't carry it how I usually like.
zHorizontalCarry.jpg
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Proto really looks nice. I hope that maker will grind it real thin.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
attila

Post by attila »

Thanks for the update!!!!

I wonder how soon we get an ETA and MSRP...

thombrogan

Post by thombrogan »

The best ETA is when you've been shushed for flicking it open and closed by its Compression Lock.