Reinhold Rhino Update

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderNut

Re: Reinhold Rhino Update

Post by SpyderNut »

ZrowsN1s wrote:I used to hesitate to carry my expensive knives. But then one day I had a thought that sort of changed things for me, who am I saving them for? Future me? Relatives, friends, or the next guy who happens to end up with them after I'm dead and gone? Everything falls apart. :) Enjoy it before it falls apart.
Excellent point. I need to start using more of my Spyderco "safe queens"--especially before I kick the can and my younger brothers inherit the collection. They'll abuse the tar out of those knives. :eek: :rolleyes: ;)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
thombrogan

Post by thombrogan »

The only "abused" knives are those that stay NIB or LNIB after they leave the store.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

thombrogan wrote:The only "abused" knives are those that stay NIB or LNIB after they leave the store.
Truth
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
thombrogan wrote:The only "abused" knives are those that stay NIB or LNIB after they leave the store.
Truth
Or knives used to pry with...or thrown... or haha
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

SpyderNut wrote:
ZrowsN1s wrote:I used to hesitate to carry my expensive knives. But then one day I had a thought that sort of changed things for me, who am I saving them for? Future me? Relatives, friends, or the next guy who happens to end up with them after I'm dead and gone? Everything falls apart. :) Enjoy it before it falls apart.
Excellent point. I need to start using more of my Spyderco "safe queens"--especially before I kick the can and my younger brothers inherit the collection. They'll abuse the tar out of those knives. :eek: :rolleyes: ;)
Exactly!!! I know the next guy is gonna take my 40th anniversary native use it to pry staples out of drywall (after all THEY didn't pay 300 bucks for it , they just inherited it ;) ). I might as well get some use out of it before they do.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
SpyderNut wrote:
Exactly!!! I know the next guy is gonna take my 40th anniversary native use it to pry staples out of drywall (after all THEY didn't pay 300 bucks for it , they just inherited it ;) ). I might as well get some use out of it before they do.
Amen, brother! I could totally see my brothers using their inherited Rubicon, Kris, or Phoenix to cut asphalt shingles or slice through drywall. :eek: Heck, at least they'd be enjoying those quality blades...while I roll over in my grave! :D

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Oh the things we talk about as we eagerly await the Rhino... Must be how cubs fans felt before they won the world series... :p
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Spydergirl88 wrote:Oh the things we talk about as we eagerly await the Rhino... Must be how cubs fans felt before they won the world series... :p
Coming from a longtime Cubs fan, you're pretty much spot on! :)
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
thombrogan

Post by thombrogan »

Liquid Cobra wrote:Or knives used to pry with...or thrown... or haha
If they're your own knives, throwing and prying aren't abuse. They just very quickly consume the knife's usefulness and their imminent-to-immediate failure in such instances is not a failure of construction (unless it was designed to be a thrower with very soft steel and all).
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Spydergirl88 wrote:Oh the things we talk about as we eagerly await the Rhino... Must be how cubs fans felt before they won the world series... :p
Coming from a longtime Cubs fan, you're pretty much spot on! :)
I very much agree, SG! :D

It may sound silly, but I've been having recurring dreams about the Rhino for the past several months. I wake up to discover that it hasn't been released yet. :( :o :rolleyes:

Fortunately, I was able to talk with Eric about the Rhino briefly at the Blade Show. He indicated that they are working diligently to bring the new Rhino to market as soon as possible. No specific timeframes just yet, but I am really excited to see the new version. :D

ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Lulz I keep checking the comming soon pages at BHQ and KC. Still nothing. Ill check again tonight :D

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

ZrowsN1s wrote:Lulz I keep checking the comming soon pages at BHQ and KC. Still nothing. Ill check again tonight :D
Lol, sounds good. Let me know if see anything. :D

ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Saw the first posting in the wild at National knives, no pricing or release date but you can stare at pictures and read the stats.
http://www.nationalknives.com/spyderco- ... te-handle/
rhino.jpg

SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

ZrowsN1s wrote:Saw the first posting in the wild at National knives, no pricing or release date but you can stare at pictures and read the stats.
http://www.nationalknives.com/spyderco- ... te-handle/
rhino.jpg
Nice! I hadn't seen that. Thank you for the update. :)

TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

SpyderNut wrote:Amen, brother! I could totally see my brothers using their inherited Rubicon, Kris, or Phoenix to cut asphalt shingles or slice through drywall. :eek: Heck, at least they'd be enjoying those quality blades...while I roll over in my grave! :D
I used my Maxamet M2 LW for curling asphalt shingles and it worked great. :)
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Spydernut, do you know the actual blade length of the final Rhino?

If it's really 60mm or less (as it shows on the NK site) I'm definitely into it. I spent the last 5 weeks in Europe and discovered that you can carry a knife onto airlines there, so long as it has a blade length of 60mm or less. I had this really long conversation in broken Italian with the Alitalia gate agent, who seemed totally confused by the fact that I didn't believe it was ok to go through security with a knife.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

TomAiello wrote:
SpyderNut wrote:Amen, brother! I could totally see my brothers using their inherited Rubicon, Kris, or Phoenix to cut asphalt shingles or slice through drywall. :eek: Heck, at least they'd be enjoying those quality blades...while I roll over in my grave! :D
I used my Maxamet M2 LW for curling asphalt shingles and it worked great. :)
:eek:

Just kidding. Spydercos are definitely made to used! :D

SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

TomAiello wrote:Spydernut, do you know the actual blade length of the final Rhino?

If it's really 60mm or less (as it shows on the NK site) I'm definitely into it. I spent the last 5 weeks in Europe and discovered that you can carry a knife onto airlines there, so long as it has a blade length of 60mm or less. I had this really long conversation in broken Italian with the Alitalia gate agent, who seemed totally confused by the fact that I didn't believe it was ok to go through security with a knife.
That is very interesting. Good to know! My wife and I are considering a European trip at some point, so this is good information. As for the blade length on the new Rhino, I believe it should be the same as the first Rhino, which was listed as 2.35" or 59.69 mm. (For what it's worth, my original prototype Rhino featured a blade length of 2.25" or 57 mm). Are you able to carry a locking blade on these flights? If so, the Rhino may work very well. :)

TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Clicky error...sorry.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

SpyderNut wrote:Are you able to carry a locking blade on these flights?
I'm not sure. I'd definitely want to check on the locking issue, but my guess would be that it should be ok. They had a printed sign at check in that gave the blade length limit (60mm) for carry on knives. The sign made no mention of locking/non-locking.