Smallish EDC Spyderco

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
undercover500

Smallish EDC Spyderco

Post by undercover500 »

Hello, new to the forum so excuse me if this has been posted 100 times or not at all.

I have two Spyderco's, the Tenacious and the Persistence, and I carried the Tenacious for a couple years until I realized that it scared some people, I'm not sure if it's the blade size or the way I flick it out (middle finger flick, I can do it really fast, I'm sure to someone who doesn't know knives it looks like an automatic), but that's beyond the point, so I bought the Persistence and actually prefer it to the Tenacious and have been carrying the Persistence for when I'm not at work. I like the Persistence and i'd like to expand my EDC rotation a bit to a few different knives that are similar. I like liner locks and I like a smaller blade, just for sheeple purposes. I don't live in a bad state, I just prefer not to draw unwanted attention to myself. Can anyone recommend me a few Persistence sized knives that are liner locks?

Thanks,
Undercover500
Mushroom

Re: Smallish EDC Spyderco

Post by Mushroom »

The Cat would be great for what you are looking for. Blade length is fairly short at less than 2.5" and is a liner lock. This may not be as "sheeple" friendly as you're looking for though. For this regard, I'd recommend the Ladybug or Manbug. They look like a little gas station knives but still have the exceptional Spyderco quality you're looking for and most people wouldn't think twice about seeing someone carrying and using either of them.
-Nick :bug-red
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

What is your budget like?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

The Lil Lum, Cat and Chicago are good options, but it would depend on your budget.
Also, are frame locks ok?
That would open up the doors to knives like the Techno, Spin and Cricket.

The Squarehead and Dog Tag might be worth a look as well ;)
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
undercover500

Post by undercover500 »

I think anything smaller than a tenacious can be pulled out for a larger cutting task without getting weird looks but that's only if the size or the knife corresponds to the task at hand, you know, not pulling out a resilience to trim a thread, but you generally get what I'm trying to say, opening a tough package or those stupid clam packaging might require a larger sturdier folder than a traditional slipjoint that I frequently carry a secondary knife to my primary one handed opening EDC. I myself am not afraid of knives,I have huge bowie knives that would make some peoples toes curl and even though with my conceal carry permit and the state law I could certainly carry them, I try to not be "that guy" if you catch my drift.

My budget is under $100 MSRP. I wouldn't actually pay that though, my actual budget that I could consciously spend would be $30-60 on amazon, maybe a little more.

Frame locks are OK, I have a kershaw leek and if the locks are anything like the leeks frame lock I would be okay with that
jujigatame

Post by jujigatame »

The Cricket would be a strong choice (it eats blister packs for breakfast) as would the Dragonfly even though it's not your preferred lock type. Both are smaller than the Persistance but will be easier to carry and you'll get VG10 steel instead of the 8C/9C from the value line.
~ Nate
EmperorMA

Post by EmperorMA »

Dragonfly2 is perfect for what you're describing. I've had women at work ask to borrow mine when they've been faced with a box to open or an apple to slice.

I'd think Delica4 would work, too.

Different locks, but great EDCs.
Wishlist: Delica 4 FFG VG10, Manix 2 LW XHP, Military 204P and S110V, Para 3 Cruwear and S110V, Paramilitary 2 (all versions), SpydieChef LC200N, Caribbean PE and Sheepsfoot SE

Procured: Caly 3.5 VG10, Dragonfly 2 LW VG10, Manix 2 XL S30V, Native 5 LW S110V, Para 3 S30V, Paramilitary 2 S110V
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Consider a Sage1. It's a great EDC and has very impressive fit and finish, along with a look that says classy, not scary. They go for under $100 used quite often. Not my pic (credit to Thrill on BF), but illustrates my thinking:

http://www.bladeforums.com/threads/my-o ... -1.781497/
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Undercover,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
undercover500

Post by undercover500 »

I can live with a lock back, just not used to them, but I think I'd just depress the lock while pressing the spine up against my leg or flipping it until it partially closes and then close it the rest of the way like with my finger like I do with the Persistence.

So my options, as far as you guys have listed are,
Dragonfly 2
Delica 4
Cricket
Lil Lum
Cat
Chicago
Techno
Spin
Ladybug
Manbug
Sage

Keep the comments coming I'll be on Spyderco's website looking

Thanks for the help guys
arty

Post by arty »

It is hard to make recommendations without know what your work environment is like. A smaller knife is better in an office, and the Chaparral has a blade the size of the persistence. It is a nice knife. If large blades are scaring your coworkers, you may want even smaller than this. I often use a Chaparral when I want a smaller knife. If you have a larger budget, you can still find a Gayle Bradley Air. It has a 2.6" blade and a liner lock. I am fine with the back lock on the Chaparral, and prefer this style of lock. Some of the recommendations are for 3" blades and this may be too much for some work places.
arty

Post by arty »

Oops, a bit over budget. The Chaparral would be closer, but a dragonfly would be well under budget.
Hgwxx7

Post by Hgwxx7 »

I love my blue nishijin Spin. One of the most underrated Spydercos IMO. Not sure if it's discontinued, but I got mine for around $50 and change new.

It is probably my most carried, although I do pair it often with a larger blade (currently a Stretch ZDP189 with a deep carry clip that I carry IWB).

As for my EDC tasks, it handles everything I throw at it. The wharnie style blade has tremendous cutting power, and VG10 steel is easy to sharpen and stays that way for a while. I love that I can put it in my coin pocket or clip it horizontally to the top of my pocket and it feels invisible, but I know it won't go anywhere. The ergos are great, and those blue nishijin scales :cool:

The biggest con you hear about it is that it's too small, but honestly it's perfect for my needs, and it doesn't really scare non-knife people.

Another recommendation, if you don't mind slipjoints, is the Urban in K390. Similar in shape and ergos to the Chapp, but it has a fantastic steel and is really a bargain at its current price point. Plus, it's a sprint run, so once it's gone, that's it.
Last edited by Hgwxx7 on Mon May 01, 2017 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stay Golden :spyder:
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

Figured I'd make you a little overview of some models which are smaller than the Tenacious and have similar blade shapes + some mentioned in the thread.

Left
Tenacious (Liner Lock)
Sage (Front Lock)
Centofante 3 (Back Lock)
Vesuvius (Compression Lock)
Native 1 (Back Lock)
Native 3 (Back Lock)
Chaparral (Mid-Back Lock)
Techno (Frame Lock)
Kiwi 3 (Slipjoint)
Kiwi 1 (Back Lock)
Micro Dyad (Back Locks)
Grasshopper (Slipjoint)
Honeybee (Slipjoint)
Bug (Slipjoint)

Right
Delica (Back Lock)
S (Compression Lock)
Q (Spring Lock)
Dragonfly (Back Lock)
Cricket (Frame Lock)
Squeak (Slipjoint)
Meerkat (Phantom Lock)
Roadie (Slipjoint)
Spin (Frame Lock)
Squearehead (Frame Lock)
Manbug (Back Lock)
Ladybug 3 (Back Lock)
Jester (Back Lock)

There's smaller ones, but some of these might be too small, like the last three rows.
I've got some odd ones, like the Khalsa, Dodo, etc., but most people don't seem to like those.
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

For what you're describing, it would be extremely hard to beat a Dragonfly 2.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I'd go with the Dragonfly 2. Or maybe the Chaparral if you want something slightly larger. They're both back locks though. Personally I don't like liner locks, so I'm happy with a backlock for this role, at least until we get a smaller CBBL.
undercover500

Post by undercover500 »

Thanks all for your replies, and I've made up my mind, I'll be buying several spyderco's, maybe one a paycheck or so starting with the Cat G10 which is slightly smaller than the Persistence I currently carry, then onto the Chicago, the Dragonfly 2, the Manbug and the Ladybug 3 sort of going down the line in terms of size. That way if I feel like carrying a larger spyderco or a smaller spyderco, I can. Luckily I've budgeted knives into my monthly expenses :) :D
EmperorMA

Post by EmperorMA »

undercover500 wrote:Thanks all for your replies, and I've made up my mind, I'll be buying several spyderco's, maybe one a paycheck or so starting with the Cat G10 which is slightly smaller than the Persistence I currently carry, then onto the Chicago, the Dragonfly 2, the Manbug and the Ladybug 3 sort of going down the line in terms of size. That way if I feel like carrying a larger spyderco or a smaller spyderco, I can. Luckily I've budgeted knives into my monthly expenses :) :D
Ahh yes, the sickness.

That's the way to do it! :D
Wishlist: Delica 4 FFG VG10, Manix 2 LW XHP, Military 204P and S110V, Para 3 Cruwear and S110V, Paramilitary 2 (all versions), SpydieChef LC200N, Caribbean PE and Sheepsfoot SE

Procured: Caly 3.5 VG10, Dragonfly 2 LW VG10, Manix 2 XL S30V, Native 5 LW S110V, Para 3 S30V, Paramilitary 2 S110V
undercover500

Post by undercover500 »

EmperorMA wrote:
undercover500 wrote:Thanks all for your replies, and I've made up my mind, I'll be buying several spyderco's, maybe one a paycheck or so starting with the Cat G10 which is slightly smaller than the Persistence I currently carry, then onto the Chicago, the Dragonfly 2, the Manbug and the Ladybug 3 sort of going down the line in terms of size. That way if I feel like carrying a larger spyderco or a smaller spyderco, I can. Luckily I've budgeted knives into my monthly expenses :) :D
Ahh yes, the sickness.

That's the way to do it! :D
I have several sicknesses, but knives are the cheapest one haha.
vivi

Post by vivi »

undercover500 wrote:Hello, new to the forum so excuse me if this has been posted 100 times or not at all.

I have two Spyderco's, the Tenacious and the Persistence, and I carried the Tenacious for a couple years until I realized that it scared some people, I'm not sure if it's the blade size or the way I flick it out (middle finger flick, I can do it really fast, I'm sure to someone who doesn't know knives it looks like an automatic).....I just prefer not to draw unwanted attention to myself. Can anyone recommend me a few Persistence sized knives that are liner locks?

Thanks,
Undercover500
I'd just avoid flicking your knives open in public, that should be enough. No reason to buy a new knife, a Persistence is already minuscule. I carry knives like the Police 3, Szabo folder, Military etc. and never have any issues. I never make a show of opening them, just a regular manual opening, cut whatever needs cut, then back in my pocket. Only ever gotten compliments on em.