Poll: What is your preferred stainless steel for EDC?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Poll: What is your preferred stainless steel for EDC?

1. CPM-S30V
18%
2. CTS-XHP
33%
3. CTS-204P
49%

Total votes: 72

Jazz

Re: Poll: What is your preferred stainless steel for EDC?

Post by Jazz »

Not much choice there. VG10.
- best wishes, Jazz.
T_MAC686

Post by T_MAC686 »

Hgwxx7 wrote:I based this one solely on the price point difference between the Manix 2 LW BD1 and LW CTS-XHP. If I'm reading through the lines correctly, this is to guage a possible successor steel for the Rhino. Those are all great steels so my real vote is for the smallest price point difference. Save 204p for the sprint run :D

EDIT: I'd also add if we are talking Chapp thinness, I might be worried about S30V chipping, but maybe that's unfounded? Thoughts?
I think of the 3 I would pick XHP for a production piece, I agree that 204p would be more exciting for something like a sprint run
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

I chose CTS-XHP.

Good steel, and I have no issues sharpening it. Always liked D2, and it's similar.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

204p.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I'd love a 204p Chaparral. :)
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

No VG10 makes me a sad Panda :(
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

I'd be happy with any of these steels. Tried all of them, maybe a slight edge to 204p....
TheKnifeCollector

Post by TheKnifeCollector »

S90V for me.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Mmm, out of those three I guess I would choose 204p. I like s30v fine and when I did rope cutting tests I couldn't tell much difference between 204p and s30v. I feel like I get a bit toothier coarse edge out of 204p though and it has notably better corrosion resistance than s30v. Unfortunately I have no experience with xhp but lots of folks seem to like it and see it as a slight upgrade to s30v at a similar price point.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Hgwxx7 wrote:I based this one solely on the price point difference between the Manix 2 LW BD1 and LW CTS-XHP. If I'm reading through the lines correctly, this is to guage a possible successor steel for the Rhino. Those are all great steels so my real vote is for the smallest price point difference. Save 204p for the sprint run :D

EDIT: I'd also add if we are talking Chapp thinness, I might be worried about S30V chipping, but maybe that's unfounded? Thoughts?
Seems you know something others don't? can you offer anything more than a teaser?

Personally I am a fan of 204P, since it sharpens easily, takes a very nice polished edge and holds that edge well. That said, XHP and S30V are quite acceptable IMO, as are many others.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Hgwxx7

Post by Hgwxx7 »

awa54 wrote: Seems you know something others don't? can you offer anything more than a teaser?

:cool:

Honestly, just looking at context clues and making an assumption on this one. The limited number of steels seem to line up with the steels of the Taichung factory models, combined with the news that the Rhino is going to be using new steel now that it's being made at Taichung and that SpyderNut started this poll with, "imagine you are designing a folder with a sub 3 inch blade...." Smells like Rhinoceros to me. :D
Stay Golden :spyder:
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Hgwxx7 wrote:
awa54 wrote: Seems you know something others don't? can you offer anything more than a teaser?

:cool:

Honestly, just looking at context clues and making an assumption on this one. The limited number of steels seem to line up with the steels of the Taichung factory models, combined with the news that the Rhino is going to be using new steel now that it's being made at Taichung and that SpyderNut started this poll with, "imagine you are designing a folder with a sub 3 inch blade...." Smells like Rhinoceros to me. :D
My thoughts too that's why I picked 204p :D
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Hgwxx7

Post by Hgwxx7 »

Spydergirl88 wrote: My thoughts too that's why I picked 204p :D
I'll be stoked if they choose 204p for the Rhino. All these steels are fantastic. I know the price was such a draw for so many people, I just chose what I thought would be the lowest price increase based off the price difference between the Manix 2 LW in BD1 and XHP (approximately $6).

The Rhino has been at the top of my list for a while, so this is pretty much a insta-buy for me no matter what they choose.

EDIT: I recognize it's not exact to say that it would only be an additional $6 to make the Rhino with XHP. But in the case of the Manix, you have 2 knives that are basically the same platform, coming out of the same factory, with differing steels, so you pretty much are minimizing all other factors except the 2 steels. I'm sure there will be additional costs involved in producing the knife at the Taichung factory that will increase the price of the knife. But, as I've said before, I'd much rather pay a higher price for quality and performance than a "bargain deal" for something subpar and disappointing.
Stay Golden :spyder:
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Out of those choices, I picked the CTS-204p, easily. Forced to choose from a wider selection that included S-110V, I'd be hard pressed to select a favorite. My experience with the latter is still too limited.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I'll take my Rhino in XHP please...
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
vivi

Post by vivi »

S30V is the only option for me out of the three since Spyderco does not offer the others in DLC coating. I only carry coated blades or H1. Steels that can rust are quaint.
Sharpdressed man

Post by Sharpdressed man »

Of those three... 204Pp better edge retention but harder to sharpen. CPM S30V = CTS XHP for all intents and purposes. Of course S110v is the new darling out there. All three of my 110s remain sharp so I haven't had to expirence sharping it. (Spyderco's edge on the 110 knives was so sharp out of the box.)
MCM

Post by MCM »

s90v & M390.
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
foofie

Post by foofie »

I voted XHP - for the assumed rhino, it would fit very well. That said, more people voted for 204p and that would make me happy as well. Very happy, actually. And we need way more in 204p.
Not that there is anything wrong with s30v, but it seems many new knives released in "only s30v" or "only vg-10" have a harder time garnering interest.