Big Chris regrinds

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Big Chris regrinds

Post by Evil D »

Just got these back yesterday and I've only had a couple hours to check them out. I haven't cut anything but I touched up the edges and I'm carrying both today because why not.

Disclaimer: I have only one other experience with a regrind and it was a disaster, so my happiness with these knives is largely based on them not getting screwed up like the last knife was. There are a couple little details I would call "less than factory perfect" but it takes someone who knows what they're looking at to see and I got them done because they're users so I'm ok with them and won't even be pointing them out.

I didn't​ get to talk to him about how thin they are, and I didn't request anything specific other than not to thin the tips too much because I didn't want them too fragile (they're still too thin to go boring holes into things with). If you look close at the bevel on the Military you can see it's a little wider at the tip because of this but that's what I wanted. The Manix is ground a bit on the thicker side by default so the bevel is even all along the edge. It's very impressive that he reground these blades and was able to keep the factory spine thickness and was able to not grind off the bevel I had put on previously. That's some pretty precise grind work. I expected either him or me to have to set the bevel again but I can tell by the sharpening notches I put on these knives that they haven't lost any blade/steel from the regrind other than thinning them out.

My initial thought, of all things, was I'm kinda bummed that the bug logo is gone. On the other hand I also like the clean "sterile" blade other than the brand/steel script. I can definitely tell you these are sure to be the first of many that I send to Chris. These two knives in particular are very special to me so I took a huge leap of faith sending them out but I'm happy with the results.

All SE all the time since 2017
~David
MacLaren

Re: Big Chris regrinds

Post by MacLaren »

Lol......that Millie is a light saber...
Carry some band aids with it :)
ejames13

Post by ejames13 »

Very impressive to leave the spine thickness untouched and also be able to see remains of the original bevel after the regrind!

Let us know how they perform after you've had a chance to use them.
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

Look great. I have a Native 1 he reground. Swedge looks unique, going from a Saber to a high flat grind.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Looks good. I have one of his customs in 10v and it's been spectacular. Maybe I'll look at having him do a regrind the next time I'm in the market.
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Yours look good, like the thin edge. What about the finish, it looks rough, although this is only a picture?
I do like regrinds, have some my self.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

gull wing wrote:Yours look good, like the thin edge. What about the finish, it looks rough, although this is only a picture?
I do like regrinds, have some my self.
It's pretty fine but looks like it could use a little polish. It may have some grit crud from grinding in the finish still.
~David
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Those look great man! Enjoy!
Josh
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

They look great David :D.

It is a shame to loose the bug logo. I have a number of regrinds and feel the same. The performance though, relative to certain new limitations, can be outstanding.

For a Spyderco user, regrinds offer some of the best performance you can buy/build.
Donut

Post by Donut »

Those edges are going to wear soo fast. :p

They look nice, almost as good as that Yojimbo. :)
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Donut wrote:Those edges are going to wear soo fast. :p

Funny you mentioned that. My opinion of thinner blade stock has eased up over the years and I wouldn't mind a 2-3mm Yojimbo 2, but I would want the tip left a bit thick if possible. On that knife I would want the blade flat ground more so than I'd want the edge thinned out.
~David
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Big Chris has reground a couple for me and I love them. Dude does a great job.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
Donut

Post by Donut »

Evil D wrote:

Funny you mentioned that. My opinion of thinner blade stock has eased up over the years and I wouldn't mind a 2-3mm Yojimbo 2, but I would want the tip left a bit thick if possible. On that knife I would want the blade flat ground more so than I'd want the edge thinned out.
So now we're hoping for a thinner at the spine, flat saber ground Yojimbo?

Let's start a thread. :)

I picked up this pretty crazily hollow ground fixed blade. It's pretty nice, IMO and belt carrying, I can carry a heavier duty user for dirtier work.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Donut wrote:
Evil D wrote:

So now we're hoping for a thinner at the spine, flat saber ground Yojimbo?

Let's start a thread. :)

I picked up this pretty crazily hollow ground fixed blade. It's pretty nice, IMO and belt carrying, I can carry a heavier duty user for dirtier work.

I think for thumb placement I'd always prefer 4mm but if I could get 2.5mm in FFG I don't think I could resist. It just needs to be flat ground without distal taper to preserve tip strength and it would slice better and still be useful for utility.
~David
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Evil D wrote: I think for thumb placement I'd always prefer 4mm but if I could get 2.5mm in FFG I don't think I could resist. It just needs to be flat ground without distal taper to preserve tip strength and it would slice better and still be useful for utility.
You've mentioned this before and it's still a good idea, +1. How do you feel about Maxamet or Cruwear?
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Evil D wrote: I think for thumb placement I'd always prefer 4mm but if I could get 2.5mm in FFG I don't think I could resist. It just needs to be flat ground without distal taper to preserve tip strength and it would slice better and still be useful for utility.
You've mentioned this before and it's still a good idea, +1. How do you feel about Maxamet or Cruwear?

It makes all the sense in the world to go with a tougher steel especially for a stronger tip but I also think wharnies need to NOT be distal tapered and that this is the key for giving them a strong tip. While I get that the Yo 2 was designed for SD, I think the reality is that 99% of the people using them are using them for EDC and utility so if nothing else I don't think a 3mm/FFG/Cruwear version would fail to sell and those changes wouldn't make it any less capable for SD. It really seems like a win/win to me.
~David
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Ya I'm with you there, I doubt making the tip a little stouter will hurt penetration all that much, and you might gain a lot more utility. win/win.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
mb1

Post by mb1 »

Those look sweet D. Chris does some fine work.
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Gratz on the regrinds, I'm a big fan of thin FFG's like these.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Nate

Post by Nate »

Really nice D!

Wish I could do them that clean, might have to send a couple out.
:spyder: