Uh oh nutnfancy spreading misinformation...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Liquid Cobra

Uh oh nutnfancy spreading misinformation...

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Can someone with some H1 knowledge chime in on this? Nutnfancy is saying online that H1 can rust and has a photo of said rust. Now I do remember a post on here about rust appearing on H1 blades but it was from transferred material onto or around the blade. Not from the blade itself. Maybe there is more to his comment, and he will explain, but I know a tonne of people follow what he says as gospel so I wanted to get the facts straight.

Taking what he said as is, is he right or wrong?

I've read many times that H1 cannot and will not rust. Is this true or false? I'm talking as in ever. Worse case scenario, rust forced in a laboratory or something. Can t rust? Or is it impossible?

Thanks

Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Surfingringo

Re: Uh oh nutnfancy spreading misinformation...

Post by Surfingringo »

:rolleyes: Nutnfancy you silly man. H1 won't rust from exposure to any normal substance including saltwater. I promise. There may be some strong acidic chemicals that will eat it but I still suspect they would not cause "rust". What he has there is either residue left from the grinder or from the engraving. That usually happens on mine and disappears within a few days use. If he's just seeing it then that knife hasn't seen any hard exposure.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Just the man I was hoping for. Thanks Lance!
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

I had a good feeling it was really truely rust proof. Can these youtubers go away for the love of god, please?
Josh
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Hopefully he will do a bit more testing and confirm what we already know and correct his error. You need to be responsible with what you say when you have a large audience like that.
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

Surfingringo wrote:Hopefully he will do a bit more testing and confirm what we already know and correct his error. You need to be responsible with what you say when you have a large audience like that.
Surfingringo, you rock! The H1s don't rust :) and live really close to a big ocean. :)
"No matter where you go, there you are"
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Yeah, I live on the gulf coast and routinely expose my Spyderhawk to salt water and sweat and have yet to see any detrimental effects. I did mirror polish it and remove the H1 logo though. Been carrying that knife for at least 8 years now. IWB or in a pocket or in my swim trunks at the beach and NOTHING. It's pretty hot and humid here. There's also a thread somewhere in which someone had a salt knife on a boat for over a year without cleaning it and instead of rust it started to grow algae or something similar. The H1 Logo is actually known to rust if you don't clean it before exposing it to saltwater. I also have a sandblasted salt knife that doesn't rust either.... just saying
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Mountains of evidence out there suggest H1 CAN'T rust, and science seems to support it. Surface rust may result from exposure to something that CAN. This seems like a bit of sensationalism to me, in the face of what we already know.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

There was a member who forced corrosion by placing a wet chlorine tablet on his knife. That's the only H1 corrosion I've seen so far.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

VashHash wrote:There was a member who forced corrosion by placing a wet chlorine tablet on his knife. That's the only H1 corrosion I've seen so far.
I remember that. Did it actually oxidize and form red rust or did it just eat the steel?
sal

Post by sal »

Thanx Lance, VAshHash,

I could respond, but it sounds different coming from me. Sure seems like many have jumped to that premature conclusion.

sal
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Science > youtube anecdotes, at least for me.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Since rust is an iron oxide, I do not see how anyone can claim H1 will rust. Corrosion may be a different story, if some chemical were applied to the blade, but even then it is not going to be red rust.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I fish the beach with a Ladybug H1 SE HB in the side pocket of my board shorts that are wet before the first cast. I bleed and gut fish with it and wash it in the ocean. I've tossed wet boardies in the laundry sink and forgotten about the knife for days more than once till beloved wife finds it prior to washing. :rolleyes:

NO RUST on the blade or hardware! :cool:

People are strange! :eek:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Trying to leave as shiny footsteps i can and being diplomatic, Nutnfancy IMO is a 250W speaker with a 5W amp..
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

I live in Hawaii by the ocean and have owned many H1 blades over the years and have never had any of them rust.

I've experienced the "H1" logo having some surface "rust", but as Lance explained this is surface residue and not the actual H1 steel. I have a Caspian Salt permanently attached to my BC and have had my Pacific Salt in many pairs of boardshorts, on boats, in kayaks, and no problems here. Spyderco has an absolutely fantastic product line with the salt series.

Now if only my truck was made out of H1...
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Shiny footprints indeed, good philosophy. In that regard, I'm sure I would share many viewpoints with many youtubers, if...I...could...only...get...through...those...verbose...extra long...tedious...repetitive...rambling...videos...while awake.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I spent a week in the Atlantic ocean with my Dragonfly Salt and it came out looking brand new.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Bugs

Post by Bugs »

Well I left my Pac Salt submerged in my boats livewell in salt water for a week to see what would happen. Kind of boring but nothing happened. No rust no fuss. I carry mine daily and use it at work in the rain, mud, dirt and sweat all over it. The only thing I have had to do is flush out the crud with water and sharpen the blade occasionally. Me thinks these interweb warriors are just looking for "click time" so they can make $$$. One of the reasons I don't waste my time on Facebook or YouTube.
Playing in SW FL Back Country with Tarpon, Snook & Reds.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Nutnfancy? Never heard of her